Triumph Sprint ST

Yesterday I stopped by the Simi Valley Triumph/Yamaha dealership. I sat on the Sprint. It is a very good looking bike in person. The grey is an awesome color. I want a second bike than is a little more sporty than the ST and also weighs less.

Here's my dilemma...a guy at work has a neighbor who is willing to sell me his '05 VFR800 ABS for $5500. The bike only has 2500 miles on it. It has a small dent in the tank from a broom falling on it in his garage. I love the look of the Triumph though. I can get the Triumph OTD for $11500 (bags included). Triumph has a 3.9% financing right now.

Right now I use the ST for commuting (Just hit 50500 miles) and would use the VFR/Sprint for weekends, going to breakfast with the wife and to let my brother use it when we all ride.

So, do I try something new like the Sprint (I had a VFR before) or go with the less expensive VFR? Both are silver and seem similar in appearance. No bags on the VFR. I loved the VFR when I had it but the wife and I took longer trips up north and to Arizona and wanted a little more power and weight for the highways.

Steve

Attachments

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Personally I would go with the VFR, had an '03 ABS myself.

The Sprint is a great bike, I would just be worried about maintainence costs.

Bike
2005 ST1300
GRN (Greg) here on the board has both..and Spint ST and an ST...

No doubt he will catch your post...The Sprint is supposed to be a real screamer and it is sweet looking...from what I understand modern chain drive maintenance is nothing...If I had to choose between the VFR and the Sprint, I'd go with the Sprint...Of course the money difference you are talking would be a big factor as well...

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
from what I understand modern chain drive maintenance is nothing...
Don't believe it. We have dirt bikes with "modern chain drive". They require maintenance every outing. I understand a street machine isn't subjected to the same environment as a dirt bike but chains are chains and sprockets are sprockets. Chains require maintenance. Even more when you ride in the rain. Chains and sprockets both require periodic replacement.

Ask Dan (dmulk) about his brother's VFR. No comparison to a shaft drive.

Ray

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
That's a great price on an almost new VFR/ABS.

Buy the VFR, spend +/- $1,000 for the factory saddlebags, and you're still way ahead in money, and probably peace of mind.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Don't believe it. We have dirt bikes with "modern chain drive". They require maintenance every outing. I understand a street machine isn't subjected to the same environment as a dirt bike but chains are chains and sprockets are sprockets. Chains require maintenance. Even more when you ride in the rain. Chains and sprockets both require periodic replacement.

Ray

C'mon Ray...did you say DIRT BIKE??

Maybe some guys with Chain drives on STREET bikes will chime in:p::cool:

TPadden

Tom Padden
Don't believe it. We have dirt bikes with "modern chain drive". They require maintenance every outing. Ray
Even on my FZ1 I got 40K on the X-ring chain with virtually no maintenance. Adjusted only when changing rear tire and only WD-40'd about every 1000 miles or so (probably not even that).

Mt V-twins are harder on chains but still at least 20K with almost no maintenance.

Replacing chain takes about the same time as changing a rear wheel; sprockets add about 45 min to an hour every other chain replacement.

I really think I put a LOT more maintenance into maintaining the drive and bearings on my shaft driven bikes :D

TPadden

Tom Padden
Facts are facts. Just like anything, one can ignore proper care and maintenance for a while...Ray
...... and nothing increases the probability of damage to a bike more than "care and maintenance". :D:p:

Back to the original thread before hijack - I really like my Sprint ST so far; should be on it at the Big Bend get together then on to San Diego :).

Last edited:
OP
OP
steve18
Buy both and give the VFR to me? Is that an option? :p:
If I had enough money, you know I would!

Thanks for all the replies. The guy at the dealership said I could test ride the Sprint, so I'm going to try and make it there this weekend.

I do agree with saving the money by buying the VFR and buying bags or a Corbin seat. I think after I test ride the Sprint, I will be able to make a decision.

Thanks again,
Steve

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If money were no object, I'd get the Sprint. That triple is a sweet motor. You don't see one every day. Interesting assortment of factory accessories.

All other things equal, I'd go for the Vfer. That V4 is a sweet motor. Nice factory bags and lots of aftermarket parts. Honda dealers all over.

For half the cost, I'd get the Vfer.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
While buying a bike is partly emotional, here are some numbers from trustworthy Motorcycle Consumer News if you want. Latest models tested.

VFR ABS 02

wet #554 / 93 hp / ? mile 11.21 @120 mph / top speed 143

TRIUMPH SPRINT 05

wet #548 / 107 hp / ? mile 11.15 @122.8 mph / top speed 160 :22yikes:

I just saw a Sprint in Dark Green a few days ago. Gorgeous! Of course, if I were younger, I'd have a VFR ABS, one of the great all-round rides. And if I were richer, I'd have both . . . and a 'Busa.

Have a nice time with your test ride and your tough decision.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
While buying a bike is partly emotional, here are some numbers from trustworthy Motorcycle Consumer News if you want. Latest models tested.

VFR ABS 02

wet #554 / 93 hp / ? mile 11.21 @120 mph / top speed 143

TRIUMPH SPRINT 05

wet #548 / 107 hp / ? mile 11.15 @122.8 mph / top speed 160 :22yikes:

I just saw a Sprint in Dark Green a few days ago. Gorgeous! Of course, if I were younger, I'd have a VFR ABS, one of the great all-round rides. And if I were richer, I'd have both . . . and a 'Busa.

Have a nice time with your test ride and your tough decision.
I've looked at both of these bikes before, and have owned 2 vfr's. The Sprinty does look good, and the one I test rode I liked. I'm surprised at the above numbers though. Honestly, top speed means what? Your ticket is going to cost you that much more?

The 1/4 mile is so close the difference is irrelevant, and that's really where accelerating out of traffic and the like it has the most street use.

I like them both, but in this case would choose the vfr for sure.

enjoy,

Bike
2006 St1300

Ray
DITTO

:th1:
Just had a Triumph a year ago, recommended:

Lube / clean every 300 miles
Inspect gear teeth and chain every 1000.

Maintenance free chain? Sounds like that new fangled M16, you know the rifle you don't have to clean...

:ukflag1:
Chain maintenance aside:

I found that the biggest issue for maintenance was access not cost. We didn't have anyone in the area rated to do the periodic maintenance for a Triumph.

Thursday I was in the Augusta Triumph dealership. He'd just sold his Sprint and didn't have a Tiger.

I'd like a Tiger as a second bike :burnout. The blue 2008 looks sweet!

TPadden

Tom Padden
DITTO
Just had a Triumph a year ago, recommended:

Lube / clean every 300 miles
Inspect gear teeth and chain every 1000.
.... and they haven't changed that recommendation in 40 YEARS :D; the chains HAVE changed :D!

Cleaning and lubing may actually shorten the life of an internally lubed chain :p:. In some cases it deteriorates rings and washes internal lube out and in others it attracts grit. I've put tens of thousands of miles on chain and shaft driven bikes. As far as maintenance goes the difference is a non-player.

With chains I've done both the ride and ignore, and clean and lube every 300 miles (even used Scott's oilers); at best anal attention to chain maintenance may add 1,000 miles of life to a chain that already lasts in excess of 30K miles. YMMV :cool:.

Last edited:
Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Have to say chain or no chain is hardly a reason to avoid buying a bike as cleaning and lubing is WAY easier now days. Clean when you're home, lube on the road if and when needed. 500mi. is surely frequent enough lubing. If you ride 800 mi. that day, no biggie the chain will go that far, sprits it when you stop at night before going in, ride 1000mi. that day, maybe sprits once in between if you're antsy.

They make small 5 oz. cans to carry with you. A couple neoprene gloves at home even make the mess when you do a GOOD clean before lubing in the garage tolerable. Plenty of ways to clean the old crap off. Kerosene is supposed to be best, but kinda makes things harder and more time consuming for me. They make spray cans of remover stuff, but WD-40 will cut the old crud immediately, no need to work it in, no need to soak and let it sit on there, or any of that. Spray on wipe clean.

Use grunge brush after the first wipe if needed. Just get the WD-40 all wiped off right away before you lube again rather than let it sit on there for a half hour or something. Wiping it off real soon, I've never had it damage any o-rings or penetrate into the sealed areas before a chain needed replacing as some people fear. Wipe clean, lube, wipe the chain side plates down of excess lube so you don't build dirt in the counter shaft area, or have a gorp mess to clean next time (you only need the thinnest film on the side plates to avoid rust), let sit for the lube to set up and go. You need most of the lube between chain and sprocket teeth, but running a bead along the side plates gets it in there and seals the o-rings back up too. May people put WAY to much lube on the sides of today's chains. They waste money on lube, and it flings all over the wheel and builds up in the counter shaft area. You need enough between chain and sprocket teeth but not a dripping chain mess on the side plates.

3 minutes on the road, 1 minute if you have a center stand. 10 minutes for an anal clean in the garage. Certainly seems like a candy butt easy maintenance chore to this long time motorcyclist.

Bike you like has a chain, buy it. It has a shaft, buy it. ENJOY riding it. :)

Edited to say, KEEP your **** FINGERS OUT of between chain and sprocket. Fingers are most useful when they stay on your hand rather than letting the bike chop them off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom