OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Looks like tomorrow's weather will allow me a chance to demo the Trophy back to back with a Tiger 800XC. Very interested to see how it goes. Will let you all know!

Thanks for the wisdom and suggestions over the past few days.

Bike
99 ST1100
Lighter, more nimble, slightly smoother.
I think those are great reasons to lean toward the 800.

The Only thing I didn't like about my ST was the weight. I test rode the Roadie and liked it a lot. I'm sure the Trophy is a Great bike but unless you're planning cross-country rides the 800 will probably be more fun to ride day in and day out.

There's something to be said for keeping that "extra" $7,000 or $8,000 in your pocket as well.

Whatever you choose, it's bound to be FUN!

OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
All is well with the world!

Demoed the Trophy today. It's a great bike, I'm sure they'll sell tons of them, but for me and my needs and where I am in my life the Tiger 800 XC is head and shoulders above it as a far better choice!

Was beautiful, smooth, and very powerful.

But for this rider here are the negatives:

Legs were too cramped even with stock seat in the highest position

Bike felt heavy and cumbersome during slow speed handling. Within the first one minute of the ride that was the deal breaker for me

Compared to the light weight and plush suspension of the 800 XC, the suspension felt a little jarring on beat up pot hole filled suburban roads

Compared to the 800, I felt too isolated from the ride experience by the size of the fairing and the multitude of the electronic gadgets

Grateful that I feel clarity and a sense of peace about which motorcycle to purchase!
Thank you all for your help!!

Bike
Super Tenere
Congrats!
Sounds like you picked the one that makes you the most happy and that's what riding is all about.
Enjoy the ride. -JEP-

Sent by using these little bitty keys on my iPhone using Tapatalk

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I think those are great reasons to lean toward the 800.

The Only thing I didn't like about my ST was the weight. I test rode the Roadie and liked it a lot. I'm sure the Trophy is a Great bike but unless you're planning cross-country rides the 800 will probably be more fun to ride day in and day out.

There's something to be said for keeping that "extra" $7,000 or $8,000 in your pocket as well.

Whatever you choose, it's bound to be FUN!

So what's the reason you can't go cross country on an 800???? If it's lighter & more fun to ride, it should be just as much fun--or even more--to ride cross country.

I must be doing it wrong..... :confused:

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
So what's the reason you can't go cross country on an 800???? If it's lighter & more fun to ride, it should be just as much fun--or even more--to ride cross country.

I must be doing it wrong.....
I wouldn't want to ride the 800 on the Interstate across country, but I would like to ride the Roadie on 2 lane roads across.

Bike
99 ST1100

I must be doing it wrong.....
I seriously doubt you're doing it wrong. It seems to my - admittedly inexperienced - POV that they make different bikes for different needs. A Gold Wing and the Triumph are both great bikes but they're different tools for different tasks...

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I wouldn't want to ride the 800 on the Interstate across country, but I would like to ride the Roadie on 2 lane roads across.

I don't like riding anything on the interstate unless I absolutely have to. Not that an 800 won't do it. It isn't even fun on the Blackbird. 970Mike & I just can't seem to find the interstate when we ride. He just keeps taking me on all of these backroads....

Bike
'06 ST1300A
The NT seems to trend more toward milquetoast than I'd want. Right now the BMW F800GT is the closest to what I'm envisioning. I haven't ridden an F-twin Beemer, although practically every review of a bike with that motor references how buzzy it can be. That would be an annoyance. Still wouldn't rule it out until I rode it, however. Triples are a great combination of smoothness, torque and power. There appears to be no plan to bring the Tiger 1050 Sport to the US, although it still may be too tall for me. I think a Triumph 800 sport tourer would hit the bull's eye for me...if only they'd make one.
I don't quite understand what you think will be all that different in a Sprint 800 vs the Roadie? The engine's going to be the same, the ergos will probably be almost the same. Better wind protection and maybe moving the ground closer, and integrated styling for the bags. A Sprint 800 won't have anywhere near the weather protection of the ST1300.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
So when do you get it? What color? I have it on good authority that black is the fastest? :)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I don't quite understand what you think will be all that different in a Sprint 800 vs the Roadie? ... Better wind protection and maybe moving the ground closer, and integrated styling for the bags...
This is what I expect to be different. (You do understand! :) )

OP
OP
DWJ Honda

DWJ Honda

I once had a Gold Wing
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
My new 2012 Tiger 800xc is white, and is fully prepped, waxed, and ready for me to pick up as soon as the weather and my schedule allows. Am very eager to bring it home, and for spring to arrive!

For a 2012 model what recalls will this bike be effected by? I've heard there may be some. Is that something a dealer will automatically take care of before delivery, or should I specifically ask?

Anything else I should be on the lookout for or check on at time of delivery?
Thank you!

Photos will follow official delivery of bike!

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
The NT seems to trend more toward milquetoast than I'd want. Right now the BMW F800GT is the closest to what I'm envisioning. I haven't ridden an F-twin Beemer, although practically every review of a bike with that motor references how buzzy it can be. That would be an annoyance. Still wouldn't rule it out until I rode it, however. Triples are a great combination of smoothness, torque and power. There appears to be no plan to bring the Tiger 1050 Sport to the US, although it still may be too tall for me. I think a Triumph 800 sport tourer would hit the bull's eye for me...if only they'd make one.
I agree with that. I'd like the NT if it had about 80-85 hp instead of 50. There are so many bikes that are close to what most of us want,, but miss on some point or the other. I'd love a sprint ST, even iwth a chain, but the ergos would keep me to riding a cople hundred miles a day. The street triple with a fairing and bags would seem to be perfect--100 hp at <450 lbs.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
There were a couple of reflashes of the ecu. The early center stand was replaced with a new design. Some had a shifter spring bulletin. The dealer should have done all this. It wouldn't hurt to check all your fasteners as Triumph doesn't tighten everything well. The dealer "should" and I believe gets paid to check this on pdi but don't count on it being done.

Congrats and enjoy.

BDonald

R.I.P. - 2014/10/15
Rest In Peace
Bike
'12 Wing
As soon as you get the bike I would budget for tires, because you are going to enjoy the bike and will be riding as much as possible. Looks like the stock tires will last maybe 7000 miles. especially the rear.

Bob

Top Bottom