Try this bead breaker

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I used Georges' method to break the bead on my rear and it worked well. You beat on a "wonder bar" with a rubber mallet. But while riding back from Iowa today I had an idea and it worked great. At work I have some clamps. They are called "can't twist clamps" but "C" clamps would work just as well. I put a block of wood on each side of the tire and started twisting the handle to close the clamp. I had the bead on the first side broken in 45 seconds. Ya,,,,I timed it. :eek:: I wanted to know how well it worked. I moved the block of wood from the side that broke to the rim, to protect it, and cranked again. The other bead broke just as quick as the first. A little "spoonin'" and the tire was off. I bet I didn't spent three minutes on it and the tire was off.:) I used Murphy"s Oil Soap spray for lube.
When I put the rear on yesterday I tried warming the tire up in a hot bath in the laundry sink and that worked great. It went on really easy. But on my round trip to N.W. Iowa today I wondered if I had gotten the inside of the tire dry enough as to not cause any problems with the Dyna Beads I used. So for the front I wanted to keep it dry so I tried the zip tie trick. I put 2 ties together to make them long enough. It will take 3 6" ties together for a rear. I put a tie around the tire and pulled the beads together. About every 6" is what I tried. It was not a tool free job but it went on pretty easily. I didn't even remember to spray any lube on it and it spooned on pretty quick.
So that's what I learned today. Use clamps to break a bead and use zip ties to make spoonin" easier if the moisture is a problem. Or if a little damp is Okay just fill up a sink and get the whole tire nice and warm. Dry it out good and use MotoMac's suggestion of Murphy's oil soap spray for lube. Thanks Rich for the heads up.
I'm thinking of making some clamps. Call em BigMak's Cave Man Bead Breakers. So easy even a Cave Man can do it. Heck it's so easy he can do it while watching "cave man TV.:D And George, you don't have to swing your hammer any more:D

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Here's another clever bead-breaking idea that doesn't require more than a couple of sticks and a car. It's a great way to keep the skin on your knuckles in-tact.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XArpY_hSdk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XArpY_hSdk

OP
OP
Bigmak96

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I've seen that mentioned and thought about it till I remembered my clamps at work. At first when I saw your post I thought it was going to be the one saying to drive over the tire with your truck.:banghead: I don't think I will be doing that any time soon!!!!!

Top Bottom