Try this in tank top, flip-flops and shorts

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
I will try and make this short cause I have a bum right hand...
Don't try this at home file:::
Last night, I went for a short ride with a friend who drives an '01 Bonneville.
Short of the story cause I am reduced to search and peck method of typing and with left hand...

We live in the country, lots of nature. Nice little twisties and secondary highways and country roads.
Last night, went for a nice ride with a friend. The idea was dinner and pleasant ride.
We've both been riding for over 25 yrs and on all kinds of bikes. Used to riding together. She took the front cause with no tupperware, she had to dictate the pace. We keep mirror contact and safe distance.
At one point she did a fast maneuver to keep from hitting a cow Moose. All I saw was a big shadow and my eyes were drawn to where she swerved. You go where you look, right and I did, seconds behind her...
By the time I got there, she was gone, but her yearling calf filled the spot...
Then, it got a little fuzzy... Short of it is I hit the 600 to 750 lbs calf, killed it and sent it 50 to 60 yds off the pavement, where it ended up in a ditch, stone cold dead.
Being that normally, game will turn to look at headlights and to investigate noise, we end up seeing greren or yellow and even white reflective eyes. One thing that happens alot is when a calf follows a cow, they often never look back, so, no eye reflection. Being used to riding together, she's up front and I stay visible in her mirrors.

She swerved to miss the cow, that got me to look at where she was moving quickly... By the time I got to where she "zigged", Mama was gone, but baby was there. I suffered a concussion, so, much was sketchy, but slowly coming back. I sort of remember trying to swerve last minute, but too late. I was leaning when I hit it, so I was trying hard to avoid it.
But, no such luck...
Reason why I am writing is to show you'all, that ATGATT can save your bacon.

Its been warm enough of late, to be wearing mesh, so, instead of the RUKKAH, I was wearing my Joe Rocket mesh with paddings of course. But, instead of full armor pants, I was wearing "Sliders". Check out the pics of the pants, inside, outside and the jacket. Not bad at all... The full face was a Shark, I only have a few scratches on my nose.
The ST is toast; RIP, so is the Moose (and well tenderized).
I am still a little groggy, this happened last night. I am sad about the ST band the Moose. I bow hunt on my land, but never tried to bag big game using my baby...

So, I get to live another day, and tell another tale...

Enjoy your summer you guys, I'm out for the season.
Wear the gear and ride safe!

Check pics at:
http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt145/Grizzley777/?action=view&current=DanceswithMoose.jpg&newest=1

JD
Ex Coelis

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
You are indeed a blessed person. Glad you are able to tell us about your mishap. Some of those cows have two calves trailing and I saw one with a pair stop traffic in both directions on the Richardson Hgwy in Fairbanks one morning during rush.

Bike
'07 ST1300
HIT a baby moose! 600lb? dang! Guess that was in MN?

surprised you didn't bounce off and the calf walk on away, must have hit her pretty hard to kill her quick like that,

glad to hear you survived with such little injury

also surprised MOMMA MOOSE didn't come back and stomp on you while you were laid out there in the road,

thanks for sharing, man things can sure happen fast sometimes huh

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
That's a real 'by the Grace of God' moment for you there.......

Glad you are okay, as has been said, the bike can be replaced.

Speedy recovery and I hope you get a good settlement on the bike to enable a quick replacement.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
:22yikes: Holy Moose!

Thank goodness that you came out of it so good! Sorry about the bike, but sheesh! hitting something that big and walking around to tell about it is pretty remarkable! :woo

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry to read about your mishap. But Glad to hear you will heal to ride again. Like others have said the ST can be replaced. Heal fast!!!

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
Wow, glad you are here and able to tell us all about it and I hope your friend is ok too. That must have put an eerie feeling in her to see her riding partner go down.

THANK YOU! For posting this along with pictures. I'm so glad you are okay and are alive and well. As I sit here reading your post, I am wearing the SAME EXACT SLIDERS you had on - I just returned from a 6 hour ride. I've been wearing Sliders since February, and wore them on an 8,000 mile trip in March....I love them. I'll be wearing them on a 10K trip in July as well. I've always wondered how they would hold up in a bad get off. I hope our paths cross one day.

OP
OP
Grizzley
Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Wow, glad you are here and able to tell us all about it and I hope your friend is ok too. That must have put an eerie feeling in her to see her riding partner go down.
Actually, being that she was in front, the only view or indication she had is when she saw my lights go "irratic" and sparks in her rearview mirrors.
she told me that she never saw the calf and thought that the mother had turned back around; when J swerved, the cow turned back 180?.
When I swerved, following J, the calf who never looked at the lights, so no reflection, occupied that void... And bang!
J says we were traveling at 110 - 120 KPH.
Good thing she was there for at least 2 reasons:
1) If I was alone, chances are, I would have been going alot faster.
2) She turned around when she saw the commotion and found me face down in the middle of the road, growgy and moaning. A car was coming towards me, so, she flashed her lights on and off to slow the car down. Turns out the guy was a volunteer fire fighter. Oh, he would have run me over; he had not seen me...

Folks, thank you for the support, the kind words and encouragement.
Old Grizzley will ride again and I sure hope to find another ST that is as good to me as this old gal was. The ST brought me about as much joy as flying my Super Cruiser.

This board is not only the coolest, the ST brotherhood is the boss!!!

Keep the sunny side up and show your teeth; smile when you're on that ST!!

JD

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Please explain
JD
Back straps.....
The tenderloin of the moose, the best eating, most tender part of the animal.
Pull them out, slice them up 3/4" thick, a little flour and salt and pepper, throw in the fry pan.:drool1::drool1::drool1::eat1::eat1:
That will be a well-deserved treat for you!
Glad you're able to write this story at all man!
You are one lucky fellow!!!

OP
OP
Grizzley
Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Back straps.....
The tenderloin of the moose, the best eating, most tender part of the animal.
Pull them out, slice them up 3/4" thick, a little flour and salt and pepper, throw in the fry pan.:drool1::drool1::drool1::eat1::eat1:
That will be a well-deserved treat for you!
Glad you're able to write this story at all man!
You are one lucky fellow!!!
Sorry, I thought you meant the O'neal back straps...
As for the tenderloins, that is the first thing that comes off deer and moose I harvest. Got my buck and moose right on my land this year.

Concussion was pretty bad at the time. After many hours under observation at hospital, they released me and girl friend took me back to see evidence and moose, thinking it would help get my memory back.
Well, it did not at first, she asked me to stay in the truck and next thing you knew, I was walking around in the middle of the road lookung like "one flew over the coo-coo's nest"...
She had called a couple of friend at 3 am to go pick up, no one wanted it. My hunting partner is away on a fishing trip so could not be reached. So, looks like the critters are going to get it.

JD

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Wow! Just the force to knock a 600 lb calf 50 yards is amazing. Glad you are ok.
Good testament to kevlar riding jeans. I always wear either my Dragging jeans or my diamond Gusset kevlar jeans.

Gary
:04biker:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Glad to hear that you are fine just a little banged up. Good luck on you quest to find another ST! Take care and keep us posted on your hunt for the ST and other animals!!

:usflag1:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
JD - glad to hear you're in one piece. Sometimes I think it's good our memory isn't perfect in situations like this. Good luck finding a suitable replacement bike.

John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Wow, I completely missed this thread.

Very glad you got out of that one with as little damage as you did...

cworley5150

V-4 Convert
Glad to hear relatively OK. Look slike the gear did it's job and came out better looking than I expected in the pics. Nice shirt, by the way. Did you wear the "Dances With Moose" shirt as a joke? Or did you even realize you had it on? Funny either way.

Top Bottom