Try this in tank top, flip-flops and shorts

OP
OP
Grizzley
Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Glad to hear relatively OK. Look slike the gear did it's job and came out better looking than I expected in the pics. Nice shirt, by the way. Did you wear the "Dances With Moose" shirt as a joke? Or did you even realize you had it on? Funny either way.
Oh yeah, Dances with Moose was a joke. A very good friend of mine had gotten me that after my partner and I wrestled with the one we "tagged" this year. I always found it amusing, but for the visit of the scene I thought it was appropriate.

Latest news: 2 bones in my right hand have to be re-attached with straps and pins.Emergency Dr had me see an Orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday. He could not operate here because they do not have the equipment for the job. so he told me to go to Ottawa, early in the morning, with the X-Rays and his letter and get operated there.
Well, here is a look inside our Canadian health system:
I had to see Emergency physician to confirm need. That took from 6 am to 11:30. He then had nurse call plastic and ortho surgeons, the plastic surgeon showed up 3 hours later and confirmed I needed operation. Problem: no beds available!! He could have the OR, but needed a bed before the OR could be booked. There wasn't a single bed available in any of the hospitals in Ottawa. The veteran's hospital doesn't have the facility and the base hospital sends these cases to civilian hospital...
I'm starting to understand how that poor moose felt when someone tryed to shove an ST up its keester...

Tomorrow, it will be one week.
I was told this morning to go to one of the Montreal hospitals, first thing and fasting... For those who know me, I don't do well without food in me. I growl... (Grizzley)
So, lets hope they get my hand fixed up, leave me the use of my thumb and index so I can get a few things done. I still have alot of work needs done on the pkane before we can fabric and dope. Delays since end February have kept the plane down. Up until Fridy, at least I had my Red baby to bring me joy. Picture this: Fasting, broken toys and lame... Not good...

Thanks to all for the encouragement and remember if you end up in these parts, I have 100+ acres to camp, lots of room in the house or in barns, we have a local brewry, so, odds are we won't run out of that... And we do have moose (different one) in the freezer.

Good riding to all and hope to catch up at another time.
JD

OP
OP
Grizzley
Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
UPDATE

Finally got surgery on Saturday morning.
After fasting from Monday night, Tuesday, I was told I did indeed need surgery; 3 metacarpels needed to be re-attached and pinned in the right hand. But local hospital did not have the equipment to perform sugery. I was told to get to Ottawa (1 hour West), first thing in the morning, with X-rays and note from MD.
6:00 Wednesday, fasting, again, I wasted 8 hours before meeting with surgeon who confirmed need for surgery, but telling me there were no beds to admit me, so he could not perform the surgery. He called his colleagues at other Ottawa hospitals no joy... Told me to try my luck in Montreal. Got local hospital to contact local Orthopedic surgeon and have him find solution. I was called Thursday morning and told to report to outpatient department of Verdun hospital on Friday morning (1 week after accident!!).

Verdun hospital staff were extraordinary.
There were a couple of glitches:
There is no long term parking facility at the hospital, I asked security and they advised I pay my $9.00 for the day and "call" someone the next day to plug the meeter...
Well, I live alone, well, with a cat. I left a message on the answering machine for the cat, but she probably could not catch a ride and since the ST is toast and I had the truck, she couldn't come.

Other glitch: The hospital was in a neighboring province. The surgeon had trouble getting paid by OHIP in the past, so he told me that in order to get the surgery, I would have to pay cash upfront before he would operate.
I was a bit put off to say the least and told him I came for surgery, not a mugging... He explained the situation, but where in the heck was I going to get the $$ that late at night when my bank card would only allow part of the fee which would run between $1,000 and $1,500. Now I know what the moose felt when the ST was being inserted up its bum...

Anyway, got as much $$ out as I could, he performed surgery Saturday between 11:30 and 13:30, they kept me overnight and on IV.
I asked to be fed at dinner, it was still too early and the little bit I ate was quick to return. With this fasting 3 days out of 4, I lost 8 pounds I did not need to loose.

So, now, I have a split cast (in case of swelling) for 14 days, after which, sutures come off; then cast for another 4 weeks, then pins come out; then another 4 weeks in a cast, then physio, then ski season...
Man, there goes my summer!!

I will be watching out for you'all and I'll be envying you too.
Good season and safe riding to all.

JD :amb1:

PS: I will be bringing the bike home this week and there are some good parts left on the bike, i/e: Gas tank cover, RH panier, top case, Billy Mayer seat, etc. Will list later

Sorry to hear about your off. I missed this thread. I wish you good healing, and a worthy replacement to your ST.

Pay close attention to the physio and you'l be fine. And have a few beers.

Did Mama Moose show up after the incident?

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
JD.....sorry to hear of your Moose collision. I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend.
Heal up and ride those Eastern Ontario roads!
:CanFlag1::dr13:

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Fire up the grill!!!!

I'm so glad you're telling us about this. A moose is nothing to scoff at. They scare the bajeezus outta me. Mean critters. I'm also a bit shocked at your efforts to get medical help. What a nightmare!

Stick with us! We'll keep you entertained as you heal.

OP
OP
Grizzley
Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your off. I missed this thread. I wish you good healing, and a worthy replacement to your ST.

Pay close attention to the physio and you'l be fine. And have a few beers.

Did Mama Moose show up after the incident?
They are the most hornary thing in the bush! But no sign of her after the accident. Then again, I wasn't looking or should I say seeing much lying on the pavement. I am sure she's got some wanted posters pinned to throughout the forest with my picture on it...

Anthony, I do miss the Calabogie Boogy, running down the parkways and runs up to Tremblant the back way.

Eric, this one got away (meat wise) but I have its cousin in the freezer:

Attachments

OP
OP
Grizzley
Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Last Update on the ST...
The beautiful Red machine is gone.
Yesterday, 4 guys showed up with a trailer to take her away...
The engine and transmission will be used in a lawn tractor for speed and pull contests...
For the time being, I am riding the Argo with a newly built plow; now that is a gas too, but miss the ST more than I ever thought I would.
My balance is still off, my memory is worse it ever was (never great for names and such), I still can't make a fist and my strength and grip is still no more than 1/3 of the left (weak) side.
I get very frustrated with the inability to do things or how long it takes to do them. One still needs to do stuff around the house.
Yesterday, I had to get on the roof to clear some of the ice (3" thick) to avoid damming and water damage. I have a metal roof and there is no sure way to stay safe on one of these... Yep! I slid off the dang thing. Not mush I could do but "surf" on the ice chunk that broke off... I did not get hurt too bad and I know some would say I should never go outside or attempt anything without a helmet...
2009 is and was a bad one for me and many others. I for one will cheer like a kid when 2010 chimes in.

I am happy to read posts from the ST group, it keeps my interest up and hopes to get back in the saddle soon.

Best wishes to all for the New Year and keep riding and keep safe everyone.
JD

Attachments

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Wow...glad you're still here to update us on your progress. Stay warm and stay safe until you can GO RIDE again :headbang:

Top Bottom