Tucson to Edmonton, east to Labrador, south to So. Carolina: 10,000 miles in 10 weeks

AZlouie

R.I.P. - 2012/07/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300A (2006)
STOC #
The long awaited (by me) cross-Canada trip starts tomorrow morning. First stop, Pagosa Springs, CO.
I plan to keep this ride report updated and hope to post photos once in a while. As I have indicated in previous posts, any riders that care to join up for a day or two are welcome. I will be going through Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Idaho and Montana to get to Alberta. East through Manitoba to Minnesota to take a detour and visit grandkids, then through Ontario and Quebec to catch the ferry to Labrador. Then south through the Atlantic Provinces, over to Vermont, NY, Pennsylvania, Virginia...catch the Blue Ridge Parkway...and end up (temporarily) in Greenville, SC. In October, back to Tucson. See ya on the road, I'm on a 2006 ST1300, loaded up with stuff! Can't miss me!

Lou

Re: Tucson to Edmonton, east to Labrador, south to So. Carolina: 10,000 miles in 10 w

Have a great and safe trip in your travels and looking forward to some pics!

Re: Tucson to Edmonton, east to Labrador, south to So. Carolina: 10,000 miles in 10 w

That sounds like a great 10 weeks!!!

Let use know how you're fairing!
Mark

Hey, Lanny...maybe we can get up to the dragon this fall. I'll be in SC til October.

Hey, Lanny...maybe we can get up to the dragon this fall. I'll be in SC til October.

I ride on saturdays about every week. Let me know when you're ready and we'll make the trip..

Lou,
Enjoy that trip! I look forward to following your progress. You have no idea how jealous I am! Sounds just like the kind of trip I would like to take!

Ride safe!

Hi, all...made my first stop in Pagosa Springs, CO yesterday. High winds and blowing sand between Gallup, NM and Durango, CO made the ride a bit less fun!!
First day distance 587 miles...probably the longest of any day planned ahead. Breezy, but sunny and low 70's in S. Colorado today. Great! Left Tucson with its 102 degrees far behind!
Tomorrow I ride over 2 major passes: Wolf Creek Pass at 10,850' and Spring Creek Pass at 10,898'. Will follow route 149 into Gunnison, then catch 92 along the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, into Delta. Will stay with friends in Cedaredge before going over Grand Mesa (route 65), camping there, then on into Grand Junction to spend a few days there with friends...and go to a Bluegrass Festival! All is well.

:yes: subscribed.

Any troubles or questions etc when in Ontario, I'm on the RAN List. Have fun!

Hi, Steven...yes, I am going up the Icefields Parkway through Banff and Jasper and over to Edmonton, then north to route 55. The object of the trip was to travel the farthest north paved through route across Canada. I will catch that route near Lesser Slave Lake.

I'm planning to take a trip out to Manitoba to see my folks sometime this summer. Doesn't really matter when. Sounds like you'll be going right past my place at some point. I'd be interested in riding with you for a day or 2, catch up with you on your way through. If you need some maintenance done on your bike, by all means stop here and we'll 'get 'er done'. (Lacombe's about halfway between Edmonton and Calgary.)

Give me as much notice as you can, and, if you'll have me, I'd like to tag along with you for a day or 2. Northern Saskatchewan is downright beautiful if you've not been there before.

In any case, you're more than welcome to come rest up at my digs for a night or however long. Too bad you're coming through here during our monsoon season. You'll ride through it by the time you get to Manitoba.

I just re-read your last reply. So you'll probably by-pass my neck of the woods. But the offer and request still stands.

Follow yur own plan, Louie, and enjoy it all. Watch for Moose!!! :D

Louie, 10 weeks? I'll bet you cover more than 10,000 miles. Enjoy and do keep us poSTed. :D

Update: Came across Colorado Route 149, over Spring Creek and Slumgullion Passes (11,500') on Monday. Weather gorgeous, but cool at higher elevations. Took route 92 which goes along the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison...WOW! What a great road.
Great views, canyon drop-offs, twisties, overlooks, etc. Met a guy about my age on a FJR going from Redding, CA to the east coast...then to Europe. Tomorrow I go over the Grand Mesa (will camp on top), then down into Grand Junction, where I will visit with friends for a few days. Bike running great; new tires (023 GT's) performing well. Even with a load, hold the corners at speed very nicely. I have taken some great photos...but cannot seem to get them posted from my mobile tablet. Will have to wait til later.
Eat your hearts out! This is great fun.

Louie, looks like a fun ride you're on there. STOC events all waiting for you.
If you get close to NYC give me a holler. I'm on the RAN list.

Enjoy !:D

Lou -

It sounds like a fabulous trip. But, why all the way north to Edmonchuck?

Edmonchuck.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Thought only 'peggers called it that... :)

Quick update: now in Grand Junction. Had great ride over Grand Mesa (at a cool 68), then into GJ where it is 95 today. Taking a break til Monday, then off to Nevada...the only "slab" section of the trip for about half a day. Had a bit of trouble at the 10,000+ elevation getting bike to start; held throttle open a bit and all was OK.
More to come.

I'm glad you're enjoying your trip Lou. We'll have to take a ride when you get to SC so you can tell us about it. Have a great Trip Lou!

Hey, thx. Lanny. I'm taking pics with my Android-based tablet, but can't seem to post them. Will have when I get to SC!

Subscribing to this thread. When you get to New England I'd love to meet you, and even ride with you a ways if our schedules work out. I'll buy lunch.

Beautiful trip!!!!!!!

Sent from my LG-US670 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom