Turbo City dash mount question

I can't speak for the one you showed, but I know that this one does not;

http://www.spoiledbiker.com/blmdash.html

On the downside, I'm 6' tall and I can't see my turn signals. No big deal, I added a small LED bulb under the dash for each signal. Plus, I can add all kinds of stuff to my shelf!

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I purchased the TC dashmount for my ST1300 and love it. I have the passport 8500 x50 mounted on it and it is very clean and works perfectly. I would suggest that you place your order by phone or include notes if you order by the internet telling them that you need the forward mount version of the shelf that will place the detector closer to you. When mounted, your detector will clear the windshield when it is the lowest position. Use sticky back velcro on the shelf and your detector to secure it.

OP
OP
DrifterST
I purchased the TC dashmount for my ST1300 and love it. I have the passport 8500 x50 mounted on it and it is very clean and works perfectly. I would suggest that you place your order by phone or include notes if you order by the internet telling them that you need the forward mount version of the shelf that will place the detector closer to you. When mounted, your detector will clear the windshield when it is the lowest position. Use sticky back velcro on the shelf and your detector to secure it.

This forum rocks thanks for the very good info.:D

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
"Use sticky back velcro on the shelf and your detector to secure it."

A small insight. A product from 3M found at Radio Shack called Dual Lock works much better than Velcro. It comes in black to match Tom's black shelf mount and the sticky part holds really well. So well in fact that first put it on the detecter then carefully take the plastic wrap off the other side and put the package on the shelf. Do it right in terms of aiming. You'll have to destroy one side of the Dual Lock getting it off if it's not right!

John

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I'd agree, make sure you get the one that the shelf points away from the front shield, this is very important. The other one wont work with the shield all the way down.

Go with the left shelf, that way you can adjust anything, mute etc, without letting off the gas.

+1 on the 3m dual lock, believe me, you wont loose the detector, heck it takes some effort just to get it off intentionally ;)

regards,

Attachments

Can you take another photo with the bike in the exact same position, only this time with the radar detector NOT on the bike :D

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
"Use sticky back velcro on the shelf and your detector to secure it."

A small insight. A product from 3M found at Radio Shack called Dual Lock works much better than Velcro. It comes in black to match Tom's black shelf mount and the sticky part holds really well. So well in fact that first put it on the detecter then carefully take the plastic wrap off the other side and put the package on the shelf. Do it right in terms of aiming. You'll have to destroy one side of the Dual Lock getting it off if it's not right!

John
I use Dual Lock, but still be careful. When you encounter hard bumps in the road or roads that are very bumpy, your equipment may come loose suddenly. It has happened to me.

I have the TC setup on both sides, only negative is that if you mount a radar detector with Lidar capabilities, the mount puts the detector right behind the windshield mounting bracket stuff, right in the line of sight of the detector. It has not been a problem so far but time will tell, the local townies use Lidar exclusively. I use heavy duty velco and have not had a problem with it coming loose, I like the rubber strap in the picture as extra security. I use the other TC mount for my Satilite radio, although I mount a top shelf that attaches (bridges) both the TC mounts for more dash space. The first TC mount I bought was crooked, they replaced it with no problem.

I use TC's mount on the right side of the dash for my 8500, too. Works very well. I just mounted it with double sided Velcro (stuff) and it's really hard to remove.

I haven't had any windscreen problems with the mount .... physically. But, I do mount the radar detector with the windscreen all the way down ... then it works without an interference problem. And, yeah ... I did see that the windscreen arm is "in the way" a bit. It has not been a problem so far.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to mount my Garmin 2610 on the other side with TC's left hand mount. How do I get a vertical mounted GPS hooked up to the horizontal pad of the TC mount? I have a couple RAM mounts, including the magnetic platform, too. But, haven't figured it out yet.

But, the TC mounts rock ! :)

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'd agree, make sure you get the one that the shelf points away from the front shield, this is very important. The other one wont work with the shield all the way down.

Go with the left shelf, that way you can adjust anything, mute etc, without letting off the gas.

+1 on the 3m dual lock, believe me, you wont loose the detector, heck it takes some effort just to get it off intentionally ;)

regards,
I installed a Turbo City shelf today and used the Dual Lock Radio Shack sells. I covered the shelf with it and a matching area on the bottom of a new Valentine One. It was hard to get the two to mesh together but with enough pressure it locked on - Then it was next to IMPOSSIBLE to get it apart. I couldn't separate the two to save my life. Finally after steady pulling the two separated but it was the sticky part that released from the bottom of the radar detector.

I applied just two new strips to the bottom (4 were previously applied) and it still would not release without Herculean effort. Finally I cut four squares of the stuff and applied those to the bottom of the detector and this allows me to mount the thing and take it off without too much effort. I swear this Dual Lock is crazy stuff.

BTW - I like the right shelf for the Valentine One. It's angled toward me this way and its no big thing to reach it with my left hand.

Kirbybikes

Vancouver, B.C.
STOC #
Nothing to post. Spent the last 3 months recovering from a broken foot, 2 of them in cast and crutches. Only just getting to working on the farkles and start riding again. Now gotta go ride and make up for lost time sitting on the couch. Best part of the summer lost, dam it!

Nothing to post. Spent the last 3 months recovering from a broken foot, 2 of them in cast and crutches. Only just getting to working on the farkles and start riding again. Now gotta go ride and make up for lost time sitting on the couch. Best part of the summer lost, dam it!
That sucks, which foot? If it was the right foot I think I'd take the bike out every now and then :D

Kirbybikes

Vancouver, B.C.
STOC #
First 8 weeks non weight bearing, another week to learn to walk again. Another week to fit shoes not sandles, didn't even think about boots. And then had to fit farkles in now that I was mobile on 2 legs. Installed my Zumo/radar mount, Talon Alarm and goldwing pegs. Along with cleaning the inside and redoing some previous farkle wiring. Oh ya, right foot - 5th metatarsal.

Kirk

Top Bottom