Turn signal bulb.

I’ve finally sold off my harleys and bought me a real motorcycle but I wanna upgrade it with LED all over. How do I change my bulbs for rear turn signals? All the other lightning was easy and even swap relay for turn signals was easy. But those rear turn signals beats me.
Would be so happy if someone could guide me!

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Rear rack needs to come off to remove rear end tupperware.
Detailed instructions on this site somewhere maybe.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
But those rear turn signals beats me.
Assuming this is an ST1300 because of where you posted – the only thing you need to remove is the seat. Reach into the back well. Put one hand outside a turn signal and the other hand in the back of the bike opposite of where your outside hand is. The turn signal bulb sockets need a hefty twist to be removed. A dab of silicone grease on the O-ring will make installation much easier.

Bike
2010 ST1300
If you use LED's all around in the turn signals, you will need an electronic flasher. There are some made that simply plug into the harness, replacing the OEM flasher.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
Assuming this is an ST1300 because of where you posted – the only thing you need to remove is the seat. Reach into the back well. Put one hand outside a turn signal and the other hand in the back of the bike opposite of where your outside hand is. The turn signal bulb sockets need a hefty twist to be removed. A dab of silicone grease on the O-ring will make installation much easier.
Pardon if I steered OP the hard way?
My hand doesn’t fit too well back there.

OP
OP
MastrTom
Found the sockets for the bulbs in the rear corners under the Tup.
would be easy if I had baby hands and 10 cm fingers. Lol.
but now I upgraded every bulb on my ST1300. Great lightning both front and rear. Osram has led called retrofit and they are great.
Bought PhilipsX-tremeUltinon gen 2. Wow.

Bike
2007 ST1300 ABS
Trying to add to the tribal knowledge here ...

After 166k miles, I finally had a turn signal lamp burn out (actually one of the front always-on filaments). So I decided I'd just replace them all. I knew the fronts would be easy, and I figured the rears couldn't be that difficult. I was able to pop out the left side (driver's perspective), but could not get the right one to budge - and I wasn't positive which way to turn. It's as if the Honda engineers had a design objective to allow only one finger to apply any torque on that connector. Making things more difficult for me was the Eastern Beaver power distribution box I had located in that same space when I bought the bike.

I ended up removing the "rear cowl" as described in the shop manual, but I didn't remove the side panels - just the two screws where the rear cowl meets the side panels. And while I was in there, I did some cleaning. And I lubed up the rubber seals before replacing, hopefully making it easier for the next time. I am glad I did the work. Much easier in my garage than it would be in some auto parts store parking lot while far from home.

So here's the tribal knowledge: both lamps are removed by turning the connectors counter-clockwise (aka anti-clockwise).

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
So here's the tribal knowledge: both lamps are removed by turning the connectors counter-clockwise (aka anti-clockwise).
I find it very puzzling, bordering on annoying, that when I have to untwist wire ties on products coming from China, that I have to twist CLOCKWISE to untie them rather than counter-clockwise, or anti-clockwise for those so disposed.

In my book ALL tightening operations, except those explicitly contra-indicated by its design ie: left bicycle pedal, should do so in the clockwise direction and vice-versa for loosening.

There, I said it!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I find it very puzzling, bordering on annoying, that when I have to untwist wire ties on products coming from China, that I have to twist CLOCKWISE to untie them rather than counter-clockwise, or anti-clockwise for those so disposed.

In my book ALL tightening operations, except those explicitly contra-indicated by its design ie: left bicycle pedal, should do so in the clockwise direction and vice-versa for loosening.

There, I said it!
I guess that you have never lived with a left-handed person. They twist them counter-clockwise all the time- for them that is normal. It would drive you nuts because it isn't only at the first unpacking, it is every time that you grab that loaf of bread.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Or a rope or extention cord that is oiled up by your south paw pa. There are left handed tape measures that are actually more user friendly to right handers

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
IDNKT. I'm going to take a look at that.
They are made so that the numbers on the tape are right-side up when the tape measure is being held in you left hand with the tape extending to the right.
Right-handed tape measures are made so that the numbers on the tape are right-side up when the tape measure is held in your right hand, with the tape extending to the left.

This never made any sense to me.
Right-handed people write with their right hand, and therefore hold the pencil in their right hand. Consequently they hold the tape measure in their left hand so that they can mark the measurement on the material with their right hand. This results in the numbers on the tape being upside-down.
The same is true, but the opposite, for a left-handed person using a left-handed tape measure.

Right-handed people should use left-handed tape measures, and left-handed people should use right-handed tape measures.
This would result in the numbers on the tape always being right-side up for both groups in most routine measuring circumstances.

Below is a left-handed tape measure. It is perfect for a right-handed person who holds the tape measure in their left hand, like most right-handed people do so that they can write with their right hand, and the numbers are right side up.
LH Tape.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom