Twin Max Carb Sync Tool

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
Yes, I have one I used on a PC800 Twin motor. Have not used it on the ST yet and would be part of the Starter Valve Synhronization procedure, pg 5-79of the Service Manual. Looks like one would adjust them one at a time, using starter valve # 1 as the base (non-adjustable) and sync #er's 2, 3 and 4 to it. They are said to be more accurate than vacuum guages, but require moving the hoses on multi cylinder engines. With 21K on my 04 I did the Balancer Shaft check and adjusted the top, 1 notch CC and the bottom, 1/2 notch CW. I cannot see the engine idling any smoother than it does now and will not touch anything, but will do the sync check some day.

Fred:04biker:

Bike
2019 BMW R1250gs
STOC #
The Twin Max is a good tool and can be used on the ST1300 4 cyl. However, it is generally easier with a 4 stick carb tool or other vacuum tool where all four cylinders are measured at the same time. Even with 4 sticks, if one cyl is adjusted, it may effect one or more other cylinders simultaneously. Consequently, with the Twin Max, if you think #3 is sych with #1(#1 is the base) and then adjust #2 to #1, #3 could then be off. Thus, with the Twin Max, one might be required to repeat the procedure multiple times before all 4 cyl are at the same level. Or, just might be lucky with all 3 cyl measuring about the same to #1 and chose not to make any adjustments.

The Carbtune is the best tool for use with 4 cylinders, in my opinion. While it is more expensive than the carb stick that uses mercury, Carbtune uses stainless steel rods which means you don't have to be concerned about mercury and also the possibility of sucking mercury into the throttle bodies. :04biker:

I bought the Morgan Carbtune. In the manual it says to disconnect the vacuum hoses from the 5-way joint. Then hook the hoses to the vacuum gauge. Don't the hoses need restrictors, which come with the Carbtune? Do I hook the carbtune hoses to the 5 way joint or directly to the starter valves?

Thanks,
Steve

steve18 said:
I bought the Morgan Carbtune. In the manual it says to disconnect the vacuum hoses from the 5-way joint. Then hook the hoses to the vacuum gauge. Don't the hoses need restrictors, which come with the Carbtune? Do I hook the carbtune hoses to the 5 way joint or directly to the starter valves?

Thanks,
Steve
Install a restrictor in each of the 4 hoses like the MCT directions say. Cut each hose about 4 inches from the end (that's 4 inches to you metric guys) and splice the restrictor in place.

Locate a hose on the ST1300 5 way tee which goes to a SV. Disconnect that hose from the 5 way tee and connect to one of the four channels on the MCT using the one of the pastic adapters in the MCT (or a brass two way barbed coupler purchased from Home Depot). Repeat until all four channels are connected.

Getting each hose off the 5 way tee is a bitch. Take two shots Tequilla and then use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the hose off.

MMOB said:
Install a restrictor in each of the 4 hoses like the MCT directions say. Cut each hose about 4 inches from the end (that's 4 inches to you metric guys) and splice the restrictor in place.

Locate a hose on the ST1300 5 way tee which goes to a SV. Disconnect that hose from the 5 way tee and connect to one of the four channels on the MCT using the one of the pastic adapters in the MCT (or a brass two way barbed coupler purchased from Home Depot). Repeat until all four channels are connected.

Getting each hose off the 5 way tee is a bitch. Take two shots Tequilla and then use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry the hose off.
Thanks for the info! I'm going to try it today. In the manual, I couldn't find the Tequila part :)

Thanks again!

Steve

Bike
St1100
I have been using Twinmax carb tool for 5 years on many different bikes. I found it to be easy, quick and accurate. On my ST1100 I sync the carbs at every oil change, they usually need only a small adjustment. I sync at idle and than 4000 RPM my cruise speed. Wouldn't own a bike without one!
:tools1:

STKY

CWO3 USN (ret)
Bike
2007 ST1300
I've had a Twin Max for years and have used it several times. It's capable of providing you with a good sync, but I find a set of mercury carb tuners easier to use.

Top Bottom