Two BMW models on Stop Sale for safety issues

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
BMW has been required to stop sales of certain K1600 and GS310 models for safety issues.

Certain 310s and scooters have had corroded brake calipers and certain 1600s have transmission issues on bikes from 2016 to 2019 finally catching up with them.

For a manufacturer of limited volume they sure do seem to have a large number of model recalls across many models.

Bike
VStrom 650
I'm guessing someone will chirp in that this is the price you pay for buying a "quality" brand :shrug2:.
Is this a USA stop. I'm guessing so.
Motorcycles apart, German automobiles have had a troubled time lately for recalls and emissions etc. These manufacturers would include all VAG brands, VW, AUDI, SEAT and SKODA, and BMW are into some serious recalls also.
I bought a BMW car 5 years ago, I'm not planning to run another.
Upt'North.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I may be in the minority opinion here, but I think that BMW marketing themselves as a "premium" brand is a bunch of hogwash.

I spent four years delivering into and working with a BMW automotive factory. If their bikes are built anything like their cars... no thanks.

The great secret is this: The overwhelming majority of parts that make up BMWs (wheels, fuel lines, wiring harnesses, brakes, seats, etc.) are made by exactly the same people who make the parts for their competitors. Not "similar people in a factory down the street"... the exact same people. On the same production lines, with the same materials, using the same machines.

To wit, I'll give you an anecdotal example. For a year and a half, I ran on an account that manufactured rocker panels for the BMW X series cars. Those parts were made using the same plastic pellets, in the same molding machines (only the shape of the mold itself was different), using the same retaining clips, by the same exact people as the parts for the Chevy Suburban, various VW cars, Ford Econoline vans, Kia "Kappa" platform cars, and the Corvette. When I asked the Production Supervisor if there was any difference between the quality of the parts themselves between BMW and the others, he said "nope", even though the BMW parts were as much as 50% more expensive. When I asked him what justified the price difference, he said "more layers of a more expensive paint, and tighter quality control on the paint finish".

I was on the production line at the factory once (a pretty cool experience, actually), and spent about a half hour talking with one of the BMW engineers while the line was stopped. I asked him what the price premium gets you if the parts are made by the same OEM's, and he said "proprietary engines technology and better electronic gadgets".

So the moral of the story - as far as I'm concerned - is that BMWs (bikes or cars) are alright in as far as they go, but they are not "premium" or "superior" units to any of their competitors. In fact, I think I can make the argument that they may have better customer service when their bikes break, but I'd rather have a bike that didn't break.

One man's opinion. Flame away...

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
My customer service with the BMW dealer was horrendous in several ways , all the way through the Federal Court case which I won because court knew BMW & dealer were lying to them !

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I haven't heard a single mention of oil, but now that you mention it... aren't BMW users only supposed to use Golden Spectro or something? I can't keep it straight. ;):biggrin:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I was digging through a hall closet the other day have found a qt. bottle of Golden Spectro. I should check the best buy date and viscosity for use in the ST. I'm sure it's way too old for a decent vinaigrette.

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I was digging through a hall closet the other day have found a qt. bottle of Golden Spectro. I should check the best buy date and viscosity for use in the ST. I'm sure it's way too old for a decent vinaigrette.
Maybe use it for a little stir-fry.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
+1 on the BMW bashing for me. Owned two of their cars, never again. A friend owned two of their bikes, and they were so bad it drove him to buy a Harley after getting rid of the second BMW.

To be fair, the handling on both of the cars I owned was superb, but not enough to compensate for the shortcomings elsewhere.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I'll give you my take on BMW ownership. Had a used 1991 BMW 325i and yeah it was bittersweet but it handled like a sports car so I did not mind. Also had a 94 olds cutlass that blew the motor at 60K miles and handled like a pig. Never owned a BMW motorcycle so I can only sumise it as having too many doo dads on their bikes. I myself don't need or want half that crap on my motorcycle. ST1300's and 1100's were almost bullet proof because they were simple efficient motorcycles.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
There are always old and outdated ST’s for those that don’t want the latest and greatest technology. Maybe that is why they quit making them. You can get a great reliable bike for next to nothing now. But they are getting very long in the Tooth now. And they are starting to become less and less reliable because of age. I have truly enjoyed my 07 for 12 years now. But it is time to say goodbye. Zero problems in 12 years. But I miss my BMW R1200RS or my Triumph Tiger 800 XCX when I am riding it. All are great bikes. I just miss the new technology.
BMW makes a fine motorcycle now days. They will take care of what ever problems arises with whatever bikes they produce. I know several people that have them on this forum that have put as many miles on there BMW’s as I have in my ST1300. So close to 100,000. Now Judy is like some of you. Your not selling the Honda are you? She doesn’t even ride. She just knows that for 12 years, the Reliable Honda always gets me there and back. Or maybe she likes the people I have come to know because of the bike?
Ride what works for you and enjoy it!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
BMW makes a fine motorcycle now days. They will take care of what ever problems arises with whatever bikes they produce.
TourNut might have a different opinion about that.

Not proof of a pattern by any means but as an anecdote my brother-in-law has bought four or five new BMW motorcycles. He has always had to be persistent with BMW to get them to approve work to be done under warranty when it should not have been a question. His last new BMW developed an oil leak from the rear main oil seal. BMW refused to approve the repair under warranty because the warranty period had been exceeded. It had been exceeded by exactly ONE day. A poor decision on their part. He not only bought BMW bikes but all of the BMW gear to go with them. He ended up having to do the repair himself at his own expense. He has never bought another BMW anything since.

I have had the opportunity to ride several BMW motorcycles for quite some mileage- none of them late model. I thought that they were all great bikes to ride and I have no doubt that the newer models are as well. I don't have a BMW and have no desire to buy one and so I have no dog in this fight. However, to believe that BMW is a superior brand who, because they charge premium prices for their products, will take care of their customers at all costs seems to be wishful thinking to me. Based on my observations they are no different than any other manufacturer and will try not to spend money on their customers if they can avoid doing so.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
My 2012 RT has 125,000 km and I wouldn’t hesitate in going cross country on it tomorrow other than that the rear tire needs to be changed. It has been as trouble free a vehicle as any I have owned and would buy another without hesitation.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
While I've owned a ST for the last 22 years, I now own a BMW K1600. I still have my '05 ST1300 though. What is strange about this recall is that nobody on the K1600 forum has had an issue with the transmission. So while I read on the K1600 forum how superior their bike is, my roots are all Honda. The K1600 outshines the ST in most all factors, but I still love my ST. Both bikes have their strengths, so I don't buy into the one is better than the other BS. BTDT.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Upt 'North, That's what we have on our ST1100's cassette gear boxes. Been a long long time since I have seen a transmission problem on a cassette box on a Honda. I think Yamaha's FJR 1300 uses them too. So ain't nothing wrong with the design. Me thinks its BMW's supplier of parts that has a Quality issue.

Top Bottom