Two BMW models on Stop Sale for safety issues

Bike
VStrom 650
I think the design is good that being a cassette type transmission. Like one poster said the recall is with a shift fork wearing prematurely. I find it hard to believe in this age of advanced metals and computer aided design and precision laser cutting equipment this stuff still is not right. I mean mankind has been hardening and tempering metal for over 2000 years you think we would have got it right by now.
It's probably one of the many outsourced parts (which all manufacturers do) where they saved 0.01 euros per part.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
I've owned / own a lot of motorcycles, including a st1100, but I'm partial to older BMW's. I always come back to them for various reasons, not the new ones though, too much tech, like most motorcycles these days. These are the bmw's I have now, reliable and easy to maintain. 1995 r100r, 1976 r75/6, 1993 k75.

Mystic-0015.jpgRiver park ride_002.jpgK75-015.jpg
The two 75's look peachy.
K75's go for nothing here, in fact I don't think you could sell one in normal condition.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
The two 75's look peachy.
K75's go for nothing here, in fact I don't think you could sell one in normal condition.
Upt'North.
Yeah, same thing here. K75's don't sell for some reason, people don't even consider them when shopping. I always had wanted to give one a try, so when this one came up, with only 3100 original miles i jumped at the opportunity. I don't understand it when 40 year old, ratty /5's will bring $5000.00 and beyond, the k's are ignored. Good for me, i don't care what's cool at the moment. I like easy to maintain motorbikes that are sensible. Older bmw's fit the bill for me. cheers.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've owned / own a lot of motorcycles, including a st1100, but I'm partial to older BMW's. I always come back to them for various reasons, not the new ones though, too much tech, like most motorcycles these days. These are the bmw's I have now, reliable and easy to maintain. 1995 r100r, 1976 r75/6, 1993 k75.

I bought this 75,000 mile 1981 R100 in 2006 and put 40,000 miles on it in 6 years. I was fond of it and took it on lots of long weekend trips to the mountains. It wasn't trouble free by any means but I was able to tend to all the troubles including replacing the diode board, a starter, a transmission, a clutch, fixing odometer gears, carb rebuilds, cables, hoses, etc.. The last thing was replacing the rocker arm needle bearings which were fairly expensive to obtain. As a ridden bike was always something to tend to but if you like that sort of thing it's going to make you happy and I enjoyed the experience.

I sold it in 2012 and bought a Honda NC700X which is the 21st century airhead. If you like an airhead you might like the NCX.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Dang, that was low mileage.
I would have jumped all over it.
Yep, had to. It was in So Cal and real close to my mate. I asked him to look at it, and if it was as nice as it looked like on CL, buy it for me before someone else did. So that's how it came to my garage. It needed a new fuel pump, tires (had the original 1992 Metzlers on it still, lots of life but too old), all fluids of course and driveshaft spline lube. It was originally sold by Martys BMW in Torrance Ca. It came with all the original documentation as well. The bags and top box were installed by Martys, as well as performing the first service. One of my better finds. cheers.

Bike
2010 Goldwing trike
BMW makes a fine motorcycle now days. They will take care of what ever problems arises with whatever bikes they produce.

This might be correct but you better have the bux. My R1200RS had a serious problem and it cost $2500 and 6 months in the shop. One month out of warranty. Had to sell it as soon as I got it back. Not wanting to give up I bought one of their boxer twins. Reliable enough but could not stand the vibration at certain speeds coming from the engine. Then to St1300...never a problem since.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Tor, my friend, have you not been paying attention? You ride a BMW. You'll only get half-way there. Get a proper motorcycle.
:D,,,Lee, between the two bikes, the only issue I have had was a leaking water pump on the GSA, 6000 miles in. Had a few drops every now and then coming out the water pump drain hole. Other than that, they have both been absolutely trouble free. Doing all maintenance myself.

BMW of Charlotte has been an outstanding dealer so far.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I'll admit that I was a bit nervous when switching to the BMW after 23 years on a ST, but 20K miles later everything is going well. We'll see if this is still true a couple of years from now.

I will admit that she is a blast to ride and makes my 1300 seem really old.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
BMW makes a fine motorcycle now days. They will take care of what ever problems arises with whatever bikes they produce.

This might be correct but you better have the bux. My R1200RS had a serious problem and it cost $2500 and 6 months in the shop. One month out of warranty. Had to sell it as soon as I got it back. Not wanting to give up I bought one of their boxer twins. Reliable enough but could not stand the vibration at certain speeds coming from the engine. Then to St1300...never a problem since.
I have a boxer twin 2016 R1200RS. It is the water cooled motor. And it works for me. I still own and ride my ST1300. It has been a great trouble free bike for 12 1/2 years. I bought it new and have enjoyed it. But I enjoy riding my BMW and my Triumph more. Zero problems with either one of them so far.
I’m glad that there are so many good options to choose from now days.
Buy what works for you and enjoy it.

Bike
BMW K1100LT
I have 2 K1100LT's both early 90's machines and they both run like a dream. One has over 110K on the clock and never misses a beat the other has 70K and is still running sweet.
I have just bought my 1st ST11 and love her already.
However they are 2 different types of machine in my eyes made for 2 different styles of riding.
The K's are certainly made for mile munching in comfort with a fairing that compared to a barn door. Where as in my short time owning the ST it can certainly eat the miles but doesn't seem to have the comfort for those long mile munching trips through europe like the K's have. That said I will be taking the ST on a trip in the new year to Tunisia where she will live out her days in the sunshine with me & the missus

Top Bottom