Two weeks after deer strike.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I am 85% healed. Some movements give me a very minor tinge of pain. I was sleeping in the recliner, a must for a number of nights. I can now sleep in the bed with no pain. I went to the driving range and hit a small bucket of balls, not well hit, but no pain. Golf is back on the schedule. I went to the gym 5 days this week. Used 1/2 to 2/3 normal weight. I didn't do any exercises that gave me pain. The more movements I do the better I feel. Sitting only stiffened me up and caused pain.

One of the advantages of crashing is you get all new stuff. New helmet has been delivered. New jacket, pants and gloves ordered.

The ST is totaled. I haven't discussed payment yet. Two years ago we gave Marcia's RT to our daughter. She isn't riding it so she is giving it back. It is being picked up today in Seattle and delivered to the local BMW dealer for service.

I have talked with many people about the crash and realize how lucky I was. Was it ATGATT, my physical condition or the fact that I didn't swerve, that my injuries weren't more severe. Probably all of the above and a lot of luck. The fact that I was slowing as I approached a town, helped. The one thing that I would do different is I would get checked out at a hospital.

This is not the last time a rider will hit a deer, but my advice is go ATGATT, don't swerve and get checked out at a hospital.

Thanks for the concern from members I know and don't know. It really means a lot.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Great news, Ron! Swerve is probably going to be a reflex action we have little control of in such a situation... Happy to hear you are on the mend!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Glad to hear you are up and running, it could have taken a whole lot longer. Only thing I would question, Ron, is if an accident has ANY advantages. Surely, that's not the only reason to buy new gear.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
So glad you are healing this quick. Sorry bout the golf game...:rolleyes::crackup.

Are you planning on riding the RT from Seattle to home..?? Got ya covered for first nights lodging...!!

ToddC

Bike
ST 1300 2005 41K
I am 85% healed. Some movements give me a very minor tinge of pain. I was sleeping in the recliner, a must for a number of nights. I can now sleep in the bed with no pain. I went to the driving range and hit a small bucket of balls, not well hit, but no pain. Golf is back on the schedule. I went to the gym 5 days this week. Used 1/2 to 2/3 normal weight. I didn't do any exercises that gave me pain. The more movements I do the better I feel. Sitting only stiffened me up and caused pain.

One of the advantages of crashing is you get all new stuff. New helmet has been delivered. New jacket, pants and gloves ordered.

The ST is totaled. I haven't discussed payment yet. Two years ago we gave Marcia's RT to our daughter. She isn't riding it so she is giving it back. It is being picked up today in Seattle and delivered to the local BMW dealer for service.

I have talked with many people about the crash and realize how lucky I was. Was it ATGATT, my physical condition or the fact that I didn't swerve, that my injuries weren't more severe. Probably all of the above and a lot of luck. The fact that I was slowing as I approached a town, helped. The one thing that I would do different is I would get checked out at a hospital.

This is not the last time a rider will hit a deer, but my advice is go ATGATT, don't swerve and get checked out at a hospital.

Thanks for the concern from members I know and don't know. It really means a lot.
Hey Ron
So Glad to hear your doing well, Living in lousy Deer country, That's A stones throw from Brown County IN. and The State park, Deer are everywhere. I would advise, DON'T swerve. Head on with a critter is better than trying to take out a tree, or fence,or cleaning out the ditch. I've gone head to head a few times with BAMBI in the cage & so has the wife, stay on the road and Bami will draw the short end of the straw.

Was it ATGATT, my physical condition or the fact that I didn't swerve, that my injuries weren't more severe. Probably all of the above and a lot of luck.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm just glad you are healing up and going to be back on a bike, before you know it! :hat3:

Bike
04 ST1300
Swerve? It's all a matter of priorities driven by your survival instinct.
I agree with your statement 100%. I was involved in a crash back in june thisyear and walked away from it with only aches and pains for a few days. Luckily the bike sustained damage that wasrepairable (cowl stay and upper cowl replacement.
This was my own fault. There was no other vehicle involved. I just remember that the last split second decisions, made all thedifference in the outcome (which could have been much worse for me and thebike). The bike is now fully restored asof two weeks ago and $661 later and invaluable help from Larry (Igofar) fromacross the country. I will be postingpictures soon.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Ron, I musta missed the thread about your accident. Out on the Beartooth Pass ride? Geez man, so sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon. RIding a BMW is kinda like physical therapy lol ( jsut kidding).

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I'm glad you are ok. My r1100rt feels a lot like driving my ST. Maybe slightly more top heavy but a lot lighter. One of the Ridercoaches I worked with had several encounters with deer strikes. He always said if hitting the deer was imminent then aim dead center.

Top Bottom