TX/OK RTE question

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Over the past 4 years, we have conducted 5 to 7 RTEs in north/central Texas and southern Oklahoma per year. I've noticed that we have a bunch of folks on this site that live in that area but never attend so thought I'd ask why. Don't like to ride or eat? What would make an RTE more likely to attract you?

Thanks!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Often the location is a little too far - I'm in the Tulsa area - it would have to be a two day affair or an iron butt rally.

Often I don't see the event with enough notice.

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I live in DFW, love to ride and eat! The issue is wife, 2 kids, and a full-time job that requires OT. I would do it, honestly, I find several and put it on my calendar only to have something else trump it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've noticed that we have a bunch of folks on this site that live in that area but never attend so thought I'd ask why.
Isn't a better question, "How far would you ride to a RTE?"
For me, the answer is two hours, unless it was a RTE and a RTR - the latter a nice ride led by the likes of @sirepair or @Uncle Phil. For a once a year event, like Phil's breakfast in Mid-Ohio, I would ride farther, but not a whole lot. It really comes down to does the RTE take a morning or a whole day?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just timing and work for me. Being in DFW also, it sux to head out due to traffic and sux to come back due to traffic so I'm happiest when I know I'm leaving for several days. But, I'll try if I can.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'm a magazine editor for the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club, VJMC...not that you can't figure it out, and had a terrible time trying to organize a local club. Had one for years until the business downturn in the late 1990's/early 2000's. All the officers had to leave the area with job transfers. I and several other kept it going for several years but attendance eventually vanished. Several attempts since but it's worse than herding cats for some reason. So....I stopped wasting my time.
Personally, I would like to attend more often...just keep in mind that heat is an issue with some scheduled rte's.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Well between working 7 days on and 7 days off. And my girlfriend lives 120 miles away. She work a 8 to 5 jobs. So we only get see each other on the weekends I am off. She claims she wants to ride we me. Hopefully we can join sometime for a RTE.

OP
OP
Tedbrogden

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
I live in DFW, love to ride and eat! The issue is wife, 2 kids, and a full-time job that requires OT. I would do it, honestly, I find several and put it on my calendar only to have something else trump it.
Life is always getting in the way.......

Bike
Yamaha FJ-09
Same as Okierider, it's often just a little too far. Generally 4+ hours away. That turns it into an all-day ride with not usually fun roads to get there and back.

I've been to a few of the Eskimo Joe's eats but my daughter lives about halfway there so that gives me another excuse to see the grandkids.

OP
OP
Tedbrogden

Tedbrogden

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Versys 1000LT
2024 Miles
Most of the locations you have chosen are at least 4 hours ride for me on boring roads. I think your definition of "central Texas" is a bit off. Brady, TX claims to be the center of Texas.

Look forward to seeing you in January in Winchester.
If you'll note, I said north/central Texas. Sorry if Houston is on the other side of the planet, but I mainly was directing the question to all the riders we have in the metro plex and Oklahoma. That said, hope to see ya on the road sometime.

Top Bottom