Tyre pressure monitoring - Steelmate TP-90 Pro

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
12 months ago I purchased a Steelmate TPMS TP-90 Pro. Another farkle for the ST and another gadget to look at on a trip :)

It has sat on my shelf since purchase. One of the reasons I haven't fitted the system is the size of the external sensors that screw onto the metal valve stem, they are huge, about the size of a grape!

I'm not sure now this was a wise purchase, so I am hoping someone may have this TPMS fitted on their ST and can tell me "Yes, go ahead an fit it, it is terrific, and you will be very happy with it".

Thanks, D

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I have the Genssi Spy TPMS on both of my bikes. I believe the senders are the same size, and might be identical.

As long as you have metal valve stems, you'll be okay. You might want to re-balance your tires afterward, though.

I recommend using T-shaped valve stems, so you can leave the senders on and monitor pressure when filling.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The sensors are not much different, if any, from many other brands of TPMS systems.

I have the Carud brand on my bikes and have not experienced any problems even with rubber valve stems. Simply balance the wheel/tire assembly with the sensors installed. They weigh very little. Less than 5 grams. I would second the suggestion of the T-stem if they fit. Makes checking and adding/subtracting air much easier. Ensure though that the sensor does not contact the brake caliper as the wheel turns.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Ensure though that the sensor does not contact the brake caliper as the wheel turns.
You would have to put the sender on the side leg for that to even be a possibility.

My senders are straight up on the top legs, and I use the side legs for filling.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I have the FoBo Bikie 2 on my ST and Garmin on my Goldwing. As stated, the sensors are all about the same size and they don't really affect tire balance, particularly if you use balance beads. I would suggest using metal valve stems and my preference is T valves because you do not have to remove the sensors to add air to the tires.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Any thoughts on mounting the sensors on the angled metal valve stems? That is what I have at present.

Also, I have recently had new tyres fitted but didn't have the sensors on for balancing. I thought their tiny mass would not matter. Maybe I have to wait until the next set of new tyres are fitted.

Thanks, D

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Any thoughts on mounting the sensors on the angled metal valve stems? That is what I have at present.
No problem. Before I put the tee stems on my Nighthawk, I had a metal angle stem on the rear and the original rubber stem in the front. Both worked fine.

Also, I have recently had new tyres fitted but didn't have the sensors on for balancing. I thought their tiny mass would not matter. Maybe I have to wait until the next set of new tyres are fitted.
Waiting for next re-tire for tee stems is a personal choice. The balance almost definitely will not be thrown off by the senders, because they weigh so little.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thanks, D
I have the 83 degree aluminum stems installed on my road going machines and use screw-on sensors and have for a long time w/o issue.

I recently had a discussion with the distributor of a static motorcycle wheel balancer that is widely sold and he said that balancing beyond where adding or removing weight of 1/4 oz or less is not necessary for 99% of riders. 1/4 oz. is about 7 grams or less than the weight of the sensor. The addition of the sensor after balancing will not present a problem or not likely even be noticeable even at 125+ mph.

Looks are quite subjective but I don't add T-valves to my motorcycles. I know they are useful but I think they are not attractive in the least. The few times a month I remove sensors to adjust pressures I am quick and a minimum amount of air is lost.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

Thanks, D
Been running the angled metal stems with TPMS caps since 2015 over a bunch of miles with no issues.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #

Thanks, D
I helped a friend change out his tires on his FJR. He had 90 degree metal valve stems. The sensors hit the brake caliper. Maybe due to the FJR having a 17" wheel? It could also depend on just what angled/metal stems you have. Some stick up from the rim more before the 90degree bend takes place. It would be worthwhile to check to prevent wrecking a sensor. He had the silver ones on the left. I have the black ones and there is no interference.

1613605112414.png1613605146325.png

My sensors weigh 5 gms. I wouldn't worry about them impacting balance. I would put them on now and then rebalance at the next tire change.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Looks are quite subjective but I don't add T-valves to my motorcycles. I know they are useful but I think they are not attractive in the least. The few times a month I remove sensors to adjust pressures I am quick and a minimum amount of air is lost.
Fair points all. I agree the T-valves aren't the least bit attractive and I debated on which way to go having sets or both the Slo-Boy supplied 83º stems and the new and old T-valves.

I will say the new T-valves are shorter in all dimensions and that mitigates the looks. In contrast the Ariete style stems are quite small and inconspicuous. And they look pretty trick.

Not having either style installed yet I remove the FOBO sensor and fill the tire using the gauge on a RYOBI portable inflator. The tire is over-filled and the PSI then dialed in by loosening the sensor and monitoring the display.

The drill of removing and replacing sensors at filling is far far outweighed by the ease of filling the tires with the angled stems. An inelegant solution but I could live with it.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I helped a friend change out his tires on his FJR. He had 90 degree metal valve stems. The sensors hit the brake caliper. Maybe due to the FJR having a 17" wheel? It could also depend on just what angled/metal stems you have. Some stick up from the rim more before the 90degree bend takes place. It would be worthwhile to check to prevent wrecking a sensor. He had the silver ones on the left. I have the black ones and there is no interference.

1613605112414.png1613605146325.png

My sensors weigh 5 gms. I wouldn't worry about them impacting balance. I would put them on now and then rebalance at the next tire change.
Thanks drrod, the stems I have are like the black ones, but I will fit the sensors an see they are clear of all parts as they rotate.
Cheers, D

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have the 83 degree aluminum stems installed on my road going machines and use screw-on sensors and have for a long time w/o issue.

I recently had a discussion with the distributor of a static motorcycle wheel balancer that is widely sold and he said that balancing beyond where adding or removing weight of 1/4 oz or less is not necessary for 99% of riders. 1/4 oz. is about 7 grams or less than the weight of the sensor. The addition of the sensor after balancing will not present a problem or not likely even be noticeable even at 125+ mph.

That's very interesting, thank you dd.
D

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
Fair points all. I agree the T-valves aren't the least bit attractive and I debated on which way to go having sets or both the Slo-Boy supplied 83º stems and the new and old T-valves.

I will say the new T-valves are shorter in all dimensions and that mitigates the looks. In contrast the Ariete style stems are quite small and inconspicuous. And they look pretty trick.

Not having either style installed yet I remove the FOBO sensor and fill the tire using the gauge on a RYOBI portable inflator. The tire is over-filled and the PSI then dialed in by loosening the sensor and monitoring the display.

The drill of removing and replacing sensors at filling is far far outweighed by the ease of filling the tires with the angled stems. An inelegant solution but I could live with it.

St Gui, I didn't think the tyre pressure is displayed on the tpms screen when the bike is static, say like first thing in the morning, but it sounds like your system might do so (??).
D

Top Bottom