Tyre pressure monitoring - Steelmate TP-90 Pro

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I have the FoBo Bikie 2 on my ST and Garmin on my Goldwing. As stated, the sensors are all about the same size and they don't really affect tire balance, particularly if you use balance beads. I would suggest using metal valve stems and my preference is T valves because you do not have to remove the sensors to add air to the tires.
Thanks bstig60 !! :)

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
No problem. Before I put the tee stems on my Nighthawk, I had a metal angle stem on the rear and the original rubber stem in the front. Both worked fine.

Waiting for next re-tire for tee stems is a personal choice. The balance almost definitely will not be thrown off by the senders, because they weigh so little.
Thanks Larry.
D

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would like to add that the front rubber stem on my Nighthawk did develop a bend from the cap.
Mine did too, on more than one bike. Quickly changed rubber valve for Arietes with a tire change. On the RT I had half the rear tire left when I installed the sensor so I made a compression tube out of a magic marker cap to hold the valve stem vertical under centrifugal force. Very tidy.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
St Gui, I didn't think the tyre pressure is displayed on the tpms screen when the bike is static, say like first thing in the morning, but it sounds like your system might do so (??).
That's correct. The FOBO relies on a smartphone so to display the air pressure but it can be displayed when the bike is parked. I prefer this as the tires can be checked and topped off as necessary before even getting on the bike.

The downside is that there's no display to see when riding unless you want to keep the app on the phone open and the phone mounted. That's were the bolt-on displays of Hawkshead and similar systems have an advantage. But many if not all of them need some movement to wake up the sensors.

A plus for me is when on the road alerts from the FOBO system are sent to my Sena BT communicator. Either way the compromise is small so it's your preference.

FOBO Bike 2

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
so I made a compression tube out of a magic marker cap to hold the valve stem vertical under centrifugal force. Very tidy.
Very slick! I've thought of just wrapping two or three turns of painters tape or duct tape to dampen vibration/oscillation but that's very shade tree. That magic marker cap as an interim aid is brilliant! Thanks for that info!

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
That's correct. The FOBO relies on a smartphone so to display the air pressure but it can be displayed when the bike is parked. I prefer this as the tires can be checked and topped off as necessary before even getting on the bike.

The downside is that there's no display to see when riding unless you want to keep the app on the phone open and the phone mounted. That's were the bolt-on displays of Hawkshead and similar systems have an advantage. But many if not all of them need some movement to wake up the sensors.

A plus for me is when on the road alerts from the FOBO system are sent to my Sena BT communicator. Either way the compromise is small so it's your preference.

FOBO Bike 2
Thank you St Gui,
S

Top Bottom