Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Issue after replacing cush drive dampeners

Got'r torn down yet?
No, I've been too busy creating a site for the NT folks, since MCL is out of commission, that site is sorta locked down so I created www.NT-Owners.ORG so they had a place to hang out and when Larry's health is better I'll hand it over to him.

I have a u-joint on the way but it may not be 'til at least the middle of the week before I'm able to start messing with it.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

Hey Joe

I would recommend you order some of this grease when you pull this apart and re-assemble. It is Ep grease with WS2 Tungsten disulfide nano-particles. It is fantastic stuff for bearings, bushings and splines as the particles work into the surface and will really protect for extreme loads. You can also use it on the drive splines instead of the Honda Moly lube - There just is no better lube than this and will give you some extra insurance.

See link http://www.lowerfriction.com/product-page.php?categoryID=5

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Hey Joe

I would recommend you order some of this grease when you pull this apart and re-assemble. It is Ep grease with WS2 Tungsten disulfide nano-particles. It is fantastic stuff for bearings, bushings and splines as the particles work into the surface and will really protect for extreme loads. You can also use it on the drive splines instead of the Honda Moly lube - There just is no better lube than this and will give you some extra insurance.

See link http://www.lowerfriction.com/product-page.php?categoryID=5
I suppose I'm a bit confused. The u-joint itself, is a self contained item that probably doesn't even have grease fittings correct? Would the drive splines not having enough grease actually contribute to a u-joint failure or would that result in the drive splines being damaged?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

I have never seen the Honda U-joint itself but on other pre-lubed u-joints I have put in various vehicles I actually dis-assemble them and re-lubricate the bearings - this may not be possible on the Honda u-joint - others may know better than I do because I have never repaired one of these yet. You can use this on the other spline assemblies and swing arm bearings.

Dan

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I have never seen the Honda U-joint itself but on other pre-lubed u-joints I have put in various vehicles I actually dis-assemble them and re-lubricate the bearings - this may not be possible on the Honda u-joint - others may know better than I do because I have never repaired one of these yet. You can use this on the other spline assemblies and swing arm bearings.

Dan
If you're curious, I'll send you mine once it's out. Well, I'll see if honda will warranty it first which I doubt if I do the work myself but it's worth a try. If not, then I'll send it to you if you want. I know you like tinkering with stuff. :rofl1:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

I was just looking at the parts diagram - you definitley will have to grease the propeller shaft spline where it plugs into the u-joint but it is hard to tell if the ujoint can easily be -diassembled. Some just have circlips on the joint bearing caps and these can easily be dis- assembled. I repaired a Kawasaki Vulcan drive shaft u-joint a few years ago and it was easily dis-assembled. When you get it apart post some photos. Did you order a new replacement u-joint? I would not mind getting my hands on the old one to look at. Yes I like to tinker!!!! I alway have had a bad case of Tinkeritis.

Dan

Bike
ST1100
STOC #

Here is an 1100 U-joint that was in the process of destroying itself. You can see that the caps over the bearing ends are not easily removeable and I suspect the same will be true for the 1300 :(

Cheers,
Allan

Attachments

Bike
2007 ST1300

Gotta love the piece of mind a "maintenance free" drive shaft system gives.

Starting to wonder:confused:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Thousands of members and less than 10 issues... even it there were 100 those would be good odds.. I'll take that any day.

I just may be one of those with this issue - still yet to be proven - and I'd still buy the same bike.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #

Just as well we don't think the same way about our bikes as we do tyres.......

Just sayin'......:rolleyes:

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #

Tinkeritis can be useful... IIRC, the Honda u-joints are staked, no circlips. What would be useful to know is if the bearing casting is hollow so that one might drill into the center and insert a grease fitting temporarily (not enough clearance for permanent) so one might inject some grease. Or a hole for a grease needle like they had on some Jeep u-joints at one time.

Also, I would recommend greasing (Moly 60) both ends of the spline so the u-joint is able to move freely as the suspension changes, to ensure there is no binding/stress on those little bearings.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Also, I would recommend greasing (Moly 60) both ends of the spline so the u-joint is able to move freely as the suspension changes, to ensure there is no binding/stress on those little bearings.
Yes sir, I think that's in the service manual as well.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

Tinkeritis can be useful... IIRC, the Honda u-joints are staked, no circlips. What would be useful to know is if the bearing casting is hollow so that one might drill into the center and insert a grease fitting temporarily (not enough clearance for permanent) so one might inject some grease. Or a hole for a grease needle like they had on some Jeep u-joints at one time.

I used to add zirc fittings to u-joints on my jeeps years ago by drilling them as you described and threading zirc fittings into the ends of the caps. It was helpful after driving through really deep wet areas to be able to push out the water and contaminated grease with fresh grease.

The WS2 grease I described earlier would be what I would use on the splines. I know that the Moly 60 is what Honda recommends but the WS2 is a superior product for this and it will last much longer.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

My opinion, too, 'specially after I got 55,000 miles out of the original chain 'n sprockets on my VFR. Occasional lube and very occasional adjustment.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #

Given Honda's penchant for "overbuilding", I am surprised that they used a U-joint rather than a CV joint.

Rod

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

Given Honda's penchant for "overbuilding", I am surprised that they used a U-joint rather than a CV joint.

Rod
CV joint are a lot "fatter", wonder if there's a space issue?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

For the amount of space and horsepower the u-joint is much smaller - an equivilent CV joint to handle the horsepower of an ST1300 it would be pretty big.

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

Rod
A CV joint is nothing more than a double U-joint. Two U-joints, back to back (together.)

More weight, more space needed to install it and, more cost.

The second joint, in a CV joint, just cancels any velocity problems from a single joint.

It's just not needed. The working angles the joint has to work with on the ST are not that much.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

For those interested here is a link about CV and u-joints aka cardigan joints:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/eng9924

Top Bottom