UK seat modifications

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Another recommendation for Top Sellerie from me. I have never been so happy with a seat
Even with never sitting on one I'd have to give it a lot of points just on style alone. That's really a good looking seat. Not to rile the RDL fans but all of his seats remind me of overstuffed wing chairs. Again separate from whatever comfort any given seat offers style is a metric I don't ignore. It the factory seat bothered me more or I commuted or frequently rode 200mi+ at a stretch then maybe looks wouldn't may a tick of a difference.

But that Top Sellerie is very nice looking.

OP
OP
Bike
St1300 cb1300 SP1
For the price i think il give one a try if it doesnt work il just put it up for sale and start over again.

Another recommendation for Top Sellerie from me. I have never been so happy with a seat
IMG_0920.jpg
Hi Gbran42 - I am shopping for a new seat for my 05 St1300 and saw your endorsement of the Top Sellerie seat. Which version of their seat did you purchase? Seems they have low, regular heights, regular or long, gel and heat options.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Over the years, I've had 3 Russell Day Long seats for my 1100. 2 dual seats and a solo seat. All 3 were very comfortable. The solo seat I had made for my 1500 Valkyrie is more of a 3/4 Day Long seat. But with a tank range of 120-130 miles, it works out. I've sent a spare seat to Russell for my V85 Pavement Princess. :) Not sure how it will work out with a narrow seat pan.

Part of the comfort is the seating area. They also build them to open the knee and ankle angles which often ends up with a higher seat height.

I've heard guys say the Russells are butt ugly. My answer is my butt says they are beautiful.

Bike
2013 ST1300A
Hi Gbran42 - I am shopping for a new seat for my 05 St1300 and saw your endorsement of the Top Sellerie seat. Which version of their seat did you purchase? Seems they have low, regular heights, regular or long, gel and heat options.
I ordered the regular height long version. I tried the regular length one and the riders part was far too short and pushed me forward into the tank. The long version is perfect. No heating.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Stop wasting money on seats and spend $15 dollars and get a set of bicycle shorts with gel inserts in the cheeks.
I’ve got 100k miles on a stock seat now and can ride all day.
I tried just about all the custom and aftermarket seats and this is what worked for me.
Whilst I agree (to some degree) on the underwear part, I doubt that any seat foam will last that long...
The foam on my '00 ST1100 was almost done, and on my '94 ST1100 I was definitely already sinking fully in and down onto the hard plastic-pan...
Already a NOS OEM seat is noticeable stiffer and won't compress, resulting in higher seating position hence different knee angle...

My '00 now has a Top Sellerie with gel inserts
The '94 the mentioned NOS OEM seat
Both a massive improvement over the previous, aged condition...

I prefer the convex shape of an OEM and the Top Sellerie seat as such aids my riding/handling styles, whilst I just cannot corner properly with a concave seat like a Corbin; hated that thing...
Also maneuvering will be an issue, as concave saddles feature a protruding upward shaped rim, cutting into the inside of your thighs while balancing at a red light or paddling around in your garage/on a parking lot...

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Yeah, aftermarket seats can be hit-or-miss depending upon model. For most part, Corbin has more padding and is more comfortable for cruising in straight line. But absolutely horrible for sporty riding where you want to move around. I was given one for my VFR and tried it for a while. Just made bike feel bigger, bulkier and more difficult to toss around. Went back to factory seat and it felt tonne better! :)

driveway3.JPG

Being cheap, I pealed back the vinyl on my seat and added foam to the front and trimmed it with a hacksaw blade and a grinder with a soft sanding pad. It sure looks poor but moved my butt back ok. I think I will get some leather and cover it so it does not look so lumpy.

Top Bottom