UK seat modifications

Bike
St1300 cb1300 SP1
Hello all well im looking for the impossible.
And this is where you clever guys come in to your own.
im looking for a company to help modify my seat into a very comfy seat that i can last hours in the saddle pain free.
Im looking at doing Lands end to john o groats NC500 etc etc.
But (pardan the pun) im struggling to get more than an hour of riding before the numb bum kicks in.
Its better now ive adjusted the rear suspension previously id get 20mins before un comfort started.
Ive got a standard seat and one done for the previous owner buy custom seats i think they were called.
There doesnt seem to be much difference in comfort even though they look completely different.
otherwise il be getting in touch with our american cousins and getting a Russel seat.
I have adjusted the seat height angles etc but to no avail.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I had similar experiences in the past. I’m not to clever, the “Airhawk” is a cheap way to get the miles. After trying a Sargent, then the Corbin(not bad), the best seat I have put on my bike is a Russel Day Long. On my last run out I adjusted the seat from lowest to highest over 3k miles and settled in on middle. I could have bought two for the seats I have laying around now.
I’m in the States so no help on local for you, best of luck.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
What make and model bike do you have? There's a space to post that info along with your location. How far can you go on the stock seat of whatever bike you have? If not far you may not be able to modify it to do what you want.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I got mine sorted out by a local car trimmer - he has been working on my bike seats for over 20 years now. He has various types of foam and can also recover it afterwards. PM me if you would like his contact details.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Top Sellerie is in France. If you don't find anything to your liking local to you, they might be a cheaper option than Russel in the US. If they offer a service where you can go there and have it fit to you on-sight as Russel does, all the better.

You didn't state whether it is for an ST1100 or an ST1300. The below link is for an ST1300.

Top Sellerie

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Stop wasting money on seats and spend $15 dollars and get a set of bicycle shorts with gel inserts in the cheeks.
I’ve got 100k miles on a stock seat now and can ride all day.
I tried just about all the custom and aftermarket seats and this is what worked for me.

OP
OP
Bike
St1300 cb1300 SP1
In answer to your question its an ST1300 2005.
I have tried the cycling shorts with another bike and i just didnt find them comfy to wear im not a fan of anything tight fitting hence the seat and with a seat i can just jump on and go and not have to think of have i got my shorts with me.

Bike
VStrom 650
Hello all well im looking for the impossible.
And this is where you clever guys come in to your own.
im looking for a company to help modify my seat into a very comfy seat that i can last hours in the saddle pain free.
Im looking at doing Lands end to john o groats NC500 etc etc.
But (pardan the pun) im struggling to get more than an hour of riding before the numb bum kicks in.
Its better now ive adjusted the rear suspension previously id get 20mins before un comfort started.
Ive got a standard seat and one done for the previous owner buy custom seats i think they were called.
There doesnt seem to be much difference in comfort even though they look completely different.
otherwise il be getting in touch with our american cousins and getting a Russel seat.
I have adjusted the seat height angles etc but to no avail.
Rick, I could have recommended SaddleCraft at South Shields but they stopped doing private one offs this spring. Luckily mine was the last seat through the door, they also did my previous Pan Seat.
For Staffs ring Kev at Foley Motorcycles, Fenton, on 01782 848882. If anyone is offering this service in Staffordshire he'll know. You may know Kev anyway if you're from North Staffs.
FWIW my own experience in the search of the holy grail of a spoilt behind is don't expect too much. Les at SC is a miracle worker and his work is sublime but sitting on your butt for hours on end is eventually uncomfortable.
Proper gel inserts will help, not the ebay ones, also, have you considered the Air Rider cushion, again SC will sell you one.
Good luck.
Upt.

Bike
2010 ST1300
An air pillow has already been suggested. Some guys here swear by a sheepskin cover, and the bead-rider (a seat cover made of wooden beads) also has its happy bums. Not everyone has said the RDL (Russel) is heaven sent. If you do go the custom seat route, it is probably best to go with someone who is local. Should the new seat require adjustments, shipping it back and forth can be expensive.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
I find the Stock ST-1300 seat to just be CRUEL! There is no one fits all solution. Test out a friends seat if possible!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Not everyone has said the RDL (Russel) is heaven sent.
I will. This is the first seat that I've ridden on that doesn't call attention to itself. My butt doesn't get sore, and my knees don't start screaming in the first hour. It does not push my crotch against the "tank" nor my knees against the fairing.

I bought it from a guy who is shorter than I am. I'm guessing he sold it soon after buying it because of its height, which suits me to a T. You can see how thick it is, how high and rearward the handlebars are, and the room for my knees.

ST1100a.jpg 1683159603125.png

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I won't ring the bell for an RDL seat either. Paid a lot of money for it to arrive, sent it back for two adjustments for a lot of money, ended up selling it. Now I have a slightly modified original (bought it that way) and will experiment with foam and shape myself, or locally.
My advice on buying an RDL from such a long way away is don't do it. If you lived closer and could drive to their facility, I think you have a good chance at success. I can't complain about the company because they were professional and were very willing to help, but since they were so far away, it was difficult and ultimately a failure in seat comfort.
Try to deal with local companies and it seems what the Corbin, RDL and Sergeant all have in common is "firm" foam. For some soft cushion works, but for the majority firm foam is what works best. IMO.
Good luck....

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I will add that I rode my bike to the seller's house and test-rode the RDL seat before buying it.

Also, I'm 6'3" (or I used to be) and 32" standing, 34" sitting inseam, and still have that knee room.

V4 Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300A4P
Used a Sargent pair of seats on an ST since 2008 and never regretted.
Can easily do 500 miles plus in a day.

But as many say it is down to finding what is comfortable for you.

You are welcome to try Sargent if you are in area ( on way to NC 500 perhaps )

OP
OP
Bike
St1300 cb1300 SP1
Les at saddlecraft has just finished doing my cb1300 seat he did a nice job craftmanship wise.
the first time he fitted a gel pad and recovered the seat but riding the bike it felt like the rear wheel bearing had collapsed.
so it got sent back and he couldnt see anything wrong so he fitted new foam and its better but certainly not a 2 hour or more comfort but its better than it was.
les did say he would do the pan seat for me as he used to do lots of them back in the day.
I have emailed sargent UK twice now and they have never got back to me.
but the only other person i know with a pan has the standard seat fitted.
so no chance of trying other makes.
has anyone tried the top sellerie seats are they any good?

OP
OP
Bike
St1300 cb1300 SP1
a few people have said about the sheepskin but i cant see how that would improve the comfort level other than stopping sweating.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Here is one recommendation from only a couple of years ago. He is a fellow UK member so you can get in touch with him if you wish to have more detailed information on his experience.
Top Sellerie Seat
Below is another custom seat builder in France who was recommended by another member on this site.
Sellerie BRIANT

Bike
VStrom 650
Les at saddlecraft has just finished doing my cb1300 seat he did a nice job craftmanship wise.
the first time he fitted a gel pad and recovered the seat but riding the bike it felt like the rear wheel bearing had collapsed.
so it got sent back and he couldnt see anything wrong so he fitted new foam and its better but certainly not a 2 hour or more comfort but its better than it was.
les did say he would do the pan seat for me as he used to do lots of them back in the day.
I have emailed sargent UK twice now and they have never got back to me.
but the only other person i know with a pan has the standard seat fitted.
so no chance of trying other makes.
I found the gel inserts took probably 5000 or so miles to lose their initial BMW'esque stiffness, but they did shape up very nicely on the Pan. Two hours was probably time for coffee but it was never a problem getting back on when the work was done. 6 hours a day riding, two up and upto 400 or so miles was relatively comfortable.
You have to be careful with the inserts if tying down on a ferry for lengthy periods.
Good luck.
Upt.

Top Bottom