ULEZ non compliance!

Hi guys
I have a 96 ST1100 AT, the ride is smooth and she doesn't let me down.
Some of you may not be firmiliar with the ULEZ area in London but any vehicle that does not comply with emission limits within a perimeter is subject to a daily charge!
Amazingly enough my Pan does not comply and I will have to pay a charge just to ride through London.
Is it possible to make her ULEZ compliant? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to lower the emissions so as to comply with the modern ULEZ regulations?

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
I've heard that a well adjusted 1100 'could' pass the test at the one testing station that does it. The 1300 certainly will pass 'cos I know a bloke that did it. ...But, ... you won't know until you try....

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bike
2010 ST1300
Is it possible to make her ULEZ compliant? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to lower the emissions so as to comply with the modern ULEZ regulations?
It is probably not possible to change the bike's emissions beyond doing routine maintenance and making sure everything is within spec. I mean, sync the carbs, make sure you have good spark plugs, etc. If they test individual cars and bikes this would be about all you can do. If they rely on a book telling them which makes/models pass then you are dependent on that information.

OP
OP
JamesHS
Thanks guys.
They just seem to rely on the book telling them what is compliant and what is not.
My original thought was, on that basis, had a modification been made eg replacement silencers with catalytic converter incorporated or something similar to lower the emissions?!
I keep her in good shape and she runs as she should but if they use the book then so what!!

OP
OP
JamesHS
Bike
ST1300
If you go to an ULEZ testing station you will 99% get a pass - Ducati 916's pass with duck tape on one air intake (added by tester) so have a chat with them and see what needs to be done if anything.

Problem is (as I understand) one bike passing at ULEZ testing station doesn't necessarily change the database so lots of owners have to pay either charges or test with fear of failure.......

Best of luck and hope it is a simple (financially unnecessary) test to get exemption

Bike
2000 ST1100
Hate to be the one that say's it but if you somehow get it to pass the next time the new incarnation of ULEZ it ain't going to be on the list of passing/ exemptions. Its really sad they go after motorcycles with such as fever as they represent a minimal amount of pollution compared to other ICE's.

Bike
VStrom 650
Hate to be the one that say's it but if you somehow get it to pass the next time the new incarnation of ULEZ it ain't going to be on the list of passing/ exemptions. Its really sad they go after motorcycles with such as fever as they represent a minimal amount of pollution compared to other ICE's.
Red One, the ULEZ ain't about pollution, it's about money and power hungry elected mayors. If it were truly about saving lives through reduced pollution they would simply ban vehicles and not charge them to pollute.
But, it's likely that a lot of cars in the UK do more mpg than an 11 and are a damn sight cleaner too. I appreciate this will be different Stateside.
It's the future and nothing new, they're all over the shop in Blighty and the EU.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Red One, the ULEZ ain't about pollution, it's about money and power hungry elected mayors. If it were truly about saving lives through reduced pollution they would simply ban vehicles and not charge them to pollute.
But, it's likely that a lot of cars in the UK do more mpg than an 11 and are a damn sight cleaner too. I appreciate this will be different Stateside.
It's the future and nothing new, they're all over the shop in Blighty and the EU.
Oh yes I can believe you it ultimately is follow the money. As for it being different Stateside I would not take that bet as we have Idiots over on this side of the pond too.;)

Top Bottom