Unauthorized use of API certification marks on motor oil containers

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
This isn't intended to be just another oil thread, although I won't be surprised if it turns into one. A fresh, large economy-size pack of popcorn's ready, just in case. I'm posting this as mostly a FYI curiosity.

While waiting to have a puncture repaired in a tire on my wife's car, I came across an article in a vehicle maintenance industry magazine that was discussinng the issue, and how an oil change shop could be liable if using falsely-marked motor oil in the event of engine damage.

With the exception of one obscure brand, I've never heard of any of these brands of motor oil. Unsurprisingly, none of our preferred brands are on the list. What appears on the list of non-compliant oils seem to be mom & pop marketeers that are using the API cert. marks for oils that either do not qualify or, have not been tested by API for compliance.

"API has found motor oils in the marketplace that are displaying the API engine oil certification marks without API's authorization."

Good Ridin'
slmjim

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I see Jacksons on the list. They are big up here, owning over 400 stores, both Shell and Chevron. They just bought the Chevron Extra Mile brand.

Surprised to see that.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yeah, I've heard of it. I think a few years ago a lot of dollar stores carried this junk because their that's what their customers wanted. If you stick to big name brand stores and Big name brand oils you won't have any problems. No popcorn needed:rofl1:

I didn't look at the list, but I'll hazard a guess --- small, regional, store-branded oil.

All of which I'd never use in any of our vehicles, except in an "emergency" situation.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Probably bulk oils that budget oil change facilities connect to their dispensing systems. Reclaimed or worse I imagine.

Top Bottom