Unbalanced venting

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
When I parked STella in the garage after work today the cooling fans were running.

I leaned down and out my hand over the vent area in front of the left valve cover. Plenty of hot air coming out.
The right side had almost no air coming out.
Am I wrong in thinking that both sides should vent relatively the same volume of air?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Seems both fans are working.
What threw me off was that the air current off the right side comes out in a more forward direction than the left side. Yesterday I checked while sitting on the bike and I couldn't reach far enough forward to catch the burning hot air coming out the vent.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The hot water from the engine enters one side of the radiator, and flows across to the other side. Since the fans are located side by side, it would stand to reason that air coming out of one side if the bike will be hotter than the other side, since after losing heat from the first fan, the second fan's air flow cools the liquid down some more.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I was concerned that one of the fans had stopped working. Seems both of them are, just that the exhaust pattern is different side to side.

Top Bottom