Under carb mat mod

Bike
2000 ST1100
Not sure if this is the right place for this info, of Farkles, or Mods, anyway it's here.
Before re-fitting carbs back after a good cleaning, I sprayed the rubber mat that sits under the carbs, gloss white. Now when I shine my mini mag lite to check carbs or to adjust sync screws, the whole underside of the carbs are bathed in lovely white light. It even illuminates the opposite side of the carbs.
To ensure the paint stays put I primed the mat with a flexible primer, before applying white gloss, (petrol resistant according to the can?) and so far so good. I suppose it will show up any leaks or oil marks better than black.:)

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
HMMMM seems that's a part that didn't make it back on the bike recently during hose and timing belt change........to bad it's a good idea

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Cool. The 01 will get revived this winter and the carbs will be coming off first. Any particulate type of spray paint needed?

OP
OP
Bike
2000 ST1100
I used a normal cheap white gloss from local auto shop, reliably informed it is not affected by petrol. The primer is designed for flexible plastics. I didn't pay much attention to the finish as you might on your body work. I may find that in 6 or 12 months time the paint is coming off... so be it. It cant do any harm. I won't be checking under carbs every day that's for sure. Several hundred miles later and it is still nice and white.

Top Bottom