Under carb rubber mat

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Is the mat there instead of creating a watercooled area ? How about using blobs of silicone rubber and fit an air hose cooling arrangement running from a hole in the fairing but not to let in snow .

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Is the mat there instead of creating a watercooled area ? How about using blobs of silicone rubber and fit an air hose cooling arrangement running from a hole in the fairing but not to let in snow .
The pad is presumably an insulator between the hot engine and the carb fuel bowls. Why make it complicated with an "air hose cooling arrangement", when the OEM mat works just fine?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Why make it complicated with an "air hose cooling arrangement", when the OEM mat works just fine?
As such already exists; #25 & #26:

ran years without the mat (but with both snorkels installed), never had an issue...

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Martins Rubber has a lot of scientific info about rubbers and silicones. Silicone rubber is only reliable up to 85degrees centigrade . Viton is safe over 200 C and resists oil and petrol . A bit pricey but a better solution than rubber .
Nobody here seems to know exactly what the rubber mat does so Viton seems to be a durable product .
I was looking to find the mat so I need to find a good Honda supplier .
I thought the mat and rubber nozzles were all one item . I know rubber Honda parts near carbs go a bit hard after time. I was trying to avoid that .

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I made mine from a piece of rubber roofing. Yeah, yeah, I know it's not gas resistant. By my reasoning it doesn't have to be, and if there's gas leaking on it from the carbs you have a much bigger problem. It is heat resistant, and there is surely plenty of that. It was free, I've got lots of it, so why not try.

RT

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
As such already exists; #25 & #26:

ran years without the mat (but with both snorkels installed), never had an issue...
Yeah, but those snorkels don't dump air under the carbs. Did you reroute them?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Did you reroute them?
Nah, both pointing directly at the inlet of the air-box...
But installing the 2nd (was only featured till '92) cured the vapor-lock issue when idling at red lights on hot summer days...

Bike
VStrom 650
Nah, both pointing directly at the inlet of the air-box...
But installing the 2nd (was only featured till '92) cured the vapor-lock issue when idling at red lights on hot summer days...
I was just thinkin, not advised.
Mine's only got one......I think.
Upt'North.

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
I`m unfamiliar with the Pan so I need to discover what the snorkels are. Only yesterday I read about the CBX 550 that I rode for a few years ---was Air Cooled with a small oil cooler radiator . I never thought about it being air cooled . Catch up time .

Top Bottom