Under carb rubber mat

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Anybody have an old one laying around? I have a hunk of rubber that I'd like to cut a few of these mats from, for me and anyone who might need one. Just need one for a template. This is pretty heavy rubber that is used on roofs. Assuming it would work ok, but I do wonder about the heat?

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I just re-installed mine yesturday after it had laid on the garage floor for two weeks! I could've sent you a template. I have seen a template for it on the net somewhere, I will see if I can find it and get back to you.

Bike
'01 ST1100
Anybody have an old one laying around? I have a hunk of rubber that I'd like to cut a few of these mats from, for me and anyone who might need one. Just need one for a template. This is pretty heavy rubber that is used on roofs. Assuming it would work ok, but I do wonder about the heat?
Hi Dean,

I'm assuming here that you are talking about EPDM rubber.

That stuff does well with heat but does not play well with gasoline, if that is a concern in this application.....

IHTH!

Bike
1994 ST1100
Hi Dean,

I'm assuming here that you are talking about EPDM rubber.

That stuff does well with heat but does not play well with gasoline, if that is a concern in this application.....

IHTH!
What if its (EPDM) in heavy aluminum foil? That should reflect the heat and resist gasoline...?

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the template link Don. Knew I had seen that someplace before.

Hmmm, No idea what type of rubber it is. Perhaps not such a great idea, but I saw new listed at $60 and I have this stuff just laying in the garage.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I cut a new piece from some seat re-cover vinyl I had laying around. Having been under the carbs in quite a while so not sure how it's standing up. On a different bike, I've pieced an OEM back together with standard grey cloth duct tape. It didn't do well upon next removal but it held the pieces together as long as they were in place. Best product to tape one back together would be aluminum duct tape, which really is duct tape. (Never use the cloth duct tape to tape up a duct, it won't do the job.)

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I just printed and taped it together and cut some rubber. The 15 inches measured out right at 15 so I'm guessing it's ok. If someone has one to measure actual length and width, that would be useful.

Yep Uncle Phil, it's like heavy inner tube material. Probably need to find something else. Maybe I'll dump some gas on a piece tomorrow!

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
How would pool liner work? I remember seeing some at Home Depot.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
How would pool liner work?
Pretty blue I guess... ;)

What about pond foil? Its quite rigid while flexible and sufficient quantities should be avail FOC as leftovers in hardware and gardening depots?
Dunno about its resistance agains oils and petrol yet (they use similar stuff to seal landfills and hazardous materials), but use it as replacement matt above the headlight, or to cover the gap between seat and tail cone to protect eletric farkels from water there.
Rubber like inner tube might get porous and suffer cracks due heat and age.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dean - If it is EPDM, it will probably bubble up when you pour gas on it. The problem with most roofing materials is that they are not designed to resist gasoline. Most roof cements are asphaltic base which melt it just a little bit to create the seal.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Pretty blue I guess... ;)

What about pond foil? Its quite rigid while flexible and sufficient quantities should be avail FOC as leftovers in hardware and gardening depots?
Dunno about its resistance agains oils and petrol yet (they use similar stuff to seal landfills and hazardous materials), but use it as replacement matt above the headlight, or to cover the gap between seat and tail cone to protect eletric farkels from water there.
Rubber like inner tube might get porous and suffer cracks due heat and age.
no, the stuff I'm talking about is sold by the foot from a roll. It is used for making a pond in ones yard and is a thin rubber. Your purchase of a foot would give you a piece 1x10 or so but it mat still be cheaper than the OEM.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Dean - If it is EPDM, it will probably bubble up when you pour gas on it. The problem with most roofing materials is that they are not designed to resist gasoline. Most roof cements are asphaltic base which melt it just a little bit to create the seal.
I soaked a little piece in gas overnight. It seems to have 'thinned' for lack of a better term. Not laying flat like it had been. Is this maybe what you mean by "bubble up or melted a bit"?

Top Bottom