Uneven Tire Wear

Bike
2004 ST1300
It looks like I'm going to be in the market for new tires sooner rather than later. I just noticed some uneven wear on the rear (PR4) and that lead me to the realization that the tires are older than I thought. The rear tire is worn much more on the left side than it is on the right. Is there anything beside low pressure that I should be investigating that would cause this type of wear?
IMG_20200310_180112_800.jpg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Michelins can wear like this. Not unusual to see unsymmetrical wear patterns and motorcycles in general wear the left sides more than the right. What is the date on the tires? They are probably not old in the sense of age.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My theory is that, in countries that drive on the right side of the road, motorcycle tires will wear more on the left side than the right because, on average, left turns are much longer and are done at a higher speeds and greater lean angle than right turns. I don't buy the cambered road reason because the wear is too far up the side of the tire to be caused by that. My .02.

Last edited:

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Why don't interstate cloverleaf ramps compensate? And what's wear like in left-side countries?
They might, if you rode them enough, but I think they are a rare occurrence compared to normal day to day riding on surface streets where left turns are always longer than right turns. Just a theory that I read about a few years ago and makes the most sense to me, compared to others.

Bike
VStrom 650
Why don't interstate cloverleaf ramps compensate? And what's wear like in left-side countries?
As someone who used to work in the vehicle repair market and later when I examined vehicles following serious collisions it was accepted that here in the UK we lived in a "clockwise world", tyre wear, suspension wear etc would usually reinforce that theory.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom