Unexpected cure to heat problem?

Thought I'd provide my story of excessive heat and how I unintentionally corrected. Picked up my 2003 in mid june. Flew down to VA and drove it home to MA; 500 miles in 90 degree heat. Wore full riding gear including tourmaster pants and leather boots. Even through my gear the heat was so bad I thought my flesh might be burning. Right side seemed hotter than left. I had heard of the ST1300 having heat problems but never expected anything this bad. By the time I got home I was sure I had made the wrong choice, and should have searched for another ST1100. After my ride home I suffered through another week with it before getting to routine maintenance. I changed the oil and filter ONLY. I used a Bosch 3300 (I think) filter and Rotella-T synthetic 5-40. Previous filter was walmart special. Not sure what oil the PO had in there. After only that change the bike now runs at a very reasonable temp. 90 degree days moving slowly it still get's hot enough to notice, but not uncomfortable, and certainly nowhere near the flesh burning temps I experienced in the first week. Not sure if it was the cheap filter or the POs choice of oil, but I'm declaring my problems solved!

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
just goes to show what a little love and affection can do to your bike!!

mmmm keep an eye on your oil level in case it somehow worn down the piston rings , hope she aint smoking blue smoke...your buddies behind you will tell you but not the cops.
enjoy the ride

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
When catalytic converters become clogged they will make an excessive amount of backpressure. Continued short trips, poor quality fuel, additives, etc can increase deposits in cats. Increased exhaust pressure will heat the whole exhaust system considerably. Watch out for a tell-tale sign of restriction: primary pipes turning colors. It sounds like you've got your problem solved though. Just an FYI.

Bryan

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Rotella-T synthetic 5-40 is a high quality diesel rated oil with many of the additives desired in so called "motorcycle" oil and also DOES NOT have the (clutch) undesirable "energy conserving stamp". I think it is the "hot" setup too and as it comes in 1 gallon jugs makes it almost custom made for the ST. I think a jug goes for about 15 or 16 bucks at wally world.

Take special care to check your oil VERY OFTEN while you are using Shell Rotella T 5W40! I used it for a year or so, but found that in the hot summer months that the bike consumed as much as 1/2 quart per 1000 miles!

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
If you think about it, even though the engine temp is stabilized by the thermostat, the oil temp can be influenced by lower lubricating friction and the more efficient heat transfer of synthetic oil. Our ST one three has an oil cooler at the bottom of the radiator kind of like a car does. If the oil is running cooler then there would be less heat blowing back and out the vents. That would allow what cool air there is, to deal more directly with the radiator and exhaust heat.

I think we're on to something here.
I believe our ST13 oil cooler is actually cooling system fluid piped into a donut shaped casting at the base of the oil filter; not your normal radiator looking finned unit. Mother Honda has deeemed this enough to keep temps at bay.

:04biker: :)

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Take special care to check your oil VERY OFTEN while you are using Shell Rotella T 5W40! I used it for a year or so, but found that in the hot summer months that the bike consumed as much as 1/2 quart per 1000 miles!
You might have other issues to check on. I have been using Rotella T 5W40 since the 1st oil change and it gets REAL hot here (100+) on a regular basis and I have not seen even the slightest change in oil level in over 2-1/2 years of use.

OP
OP
just changed oil for 3rd time today. No drop in level over several thousand miles w rotella. Still running cool and happy......

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
In using RTS 5W40 maybe thats the reason I have posted all the smart a$$ remarks on the heat issue, it is not being a big deal to me cause of this oil. I have noticed a little oil being used, low mark to top mark = about 7-10 oz of oil in about 1000 miles, once, no big deal

Last edited:
You might have other issues to check on. I have been using Rotella T 5W40 since the 1st oil change and it gets REAL hot here (100+) on a regular basis and I have not seen even the slightest change in oil level in over 2-1/2 years of use.
No other issues whatsoever! After changing to Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40, which costs more, I have no oil usage between changes at all. I'm riding a 2003 ST with 40,000 miles on it. It didn't like the Rotella, but it happy with the Mobil.

I have had an UNUSUAL spike in temps. The heat previous to about two weeks ago was manageable and in line with what I've heard.

For some reason, two weeks ago, my bike started idling a little rough. Had to adjust the idle up a bit.

Now the heat is UNGODLY! I mean, I've never felt heat like this. The oil level is good, the engine temp gauge doesn't move out of the middle, but MAN my legs are BAKING! I've never felt the plastic this hot before.

I talked to an ST buddy and he told me that using higher octane fuel can cause this as we don't have the compression needed to burn off all the gas.

Thinking I had a problem with bad fuel I ran some Techron through a tank of which I am almost through.

I gotta think:

1. The heat seems wayyyyy to hot.
2. I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of the temp gauge.
3. My economy hasn't changed.
4. The heat seems to be worse on the right side than the left, although the left gets pretty darned hot too.

Any thoughts? Is this something to be concerned about?

Bike
07 ST1300A
Our bikes are supposed to run high test. If adjusting the idle is the only thing you've changed, try setting it back to where it was and see what happens. You may need to do a starter valve sync.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
For some reason, two weeks ago, my bike started idling a little rough. Had to adjust the idle up a bit.

Now the heat is UNGODLY! I mean, I've never felt heat like this. The oil level is good, the engine temp gauge doesn't move out of the middle, but MAN my legs are BAKING! I've never felt the plastic this hot before.

Any thoughts? Is this something to be concerned about?

Sounds like your throttle bodies might be out of sync. Some folks have reported that syncing the throttle bodies solved the heat issues. Since you didn't have heat issues, then had rough idling, now have heat issues - throttle bodies would seem like a logical explaination.

Top Bottom