UPDATE: Mouse damage and fuel pump issues

I recently had a pack rat nest under my seat back by the ECM and chewed a number of wires in the main harness and assorted others. I have since repaired all the damage, but not the fuel pump doesn't spin up when the key is turn on. I have been able to get the fuel pump to spin up by putting 12V directly to the pump. Where do I need to look now?

Okay, am I missing something??

What's with all the "mouse nesting" issues?

We live in rural America and have had zero mouse issues with *any* vehicles in all my 60 something years here.

Are we storing our bikes away for months and never checking on them every week? What's the attraction?

I guess I'm spoiled cause I can ride eleven months out of a year

OP
OP
mageerc
Okay, am I missing something??

What's with all the "mouse nesting" issues?

We live in rural America and have had zero mouse issues with *any* vehicles in all my 60 something years here.

Are we storing our bikes away for months and never checking on them every week? What's the attraction?

I guess I'm spoiled cause I can ride eleven months out of a year
They can do this stuff very quickly... I had ridden the bike, an ST1300, two weeks before...

OP
OP
mageerc
Assuming that it is a 1300. Yell out if you need help understanding it.
Here is where I stand when I turn on my key the F1 light comes on as usual, but it never goes out, the fuel pump doesn't kick in, however the engine will turn over. I started testing and the bank sensor relay is operating properly. On the fuel shutoff relay, I'm getting 12V on the black/white power terminal, but 0V on the brown power terminal. I'm getting 12V on both the coil terminals, which indicates the earth connection is at fault. Does that mean my ECM is hosed? What earth connection could be at fault?

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have experience some mouse damage in the ecm area as well, and I live in rural america also. The problem is the way I understand it, is the wire coating is made of a soy protein base and the mice just love it, so they chew and chew and chew.
I have been keeping a very close eye on my bikes while in storage and starting them at least every 2 weeks and letting them warm up.
Even with all this I set mouse traps around my bike and use peanut butter as bait. I have a cat also that I will occasionally put in the garage at night (unless it is really cold)
We are all vulnerable to this problem and even with due diligence all run the risk.
Thats why "barn" finds are not always that great or what you think- in some cases most of the harnesses have all been chewed away by the varmints.

The harness may need replaced - hopefully not- I will be watching this thread as updates occur but I am not much help on the electrical side-
I feel your pain.

OK I am done rambling.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I had a similar problem a while back with my fuel pump not starting. Went thru all the worries of it being expensive stuff but kept feeling it was a connection. Took me forever before I looked behind the relay panel and found a corroded/broken lead going into the fuel pump relay. Just one more thing to check. Damn those mice too.

OP
OP
mageerc
I had a similar problem a while back with my fuel pump not starting. Went thru all the worries of it being expensive stuff but kept feeling it was a connection. Took me forever before I looked behind the relay panel and found a corroded/broken lead going into the fuel pump relay. Just one more thing to check. Damn those mice too.
I saw your video and checked the fusebox and the fuse to that circuit, but no joy there. I did have a spare ECM that I plugged up, but that didn't help anything other than eliminating the ECM as a problem. Apparently my problem is either the fuel cutoff relay or the ground wire to the relay to the ECM and I have no idea which wire that could be.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here is where I stand when I turn on my key the F1 light comes on as usual, but it never goes out, the fuel pump doesn't kick in, however the engine will turn over. I started testing and the bank sensor relay is operating properly. On the fuel shutoff relay, I'm getting 12V on the black/white power terminal, but 0V on the brown power terminal. I'm getting 12V on both the coil terminals, which indicates the earth connection is at fault. Does that mean my ECM is hosed? What earth connection could be at fault?
That is good information.

Only because I live in the UK. These are the exact symptoms that we get when we try to start the bike with a chipless key. We have HISS fitted. So I have to ask if you do as well. It isn't normal in the States, but just to be sure ... If you do, it will say 'HISS' above a small red light near to where the FI light is located on the dash.

Ok now you have been asked that question:-

1617625947205.png

It could mean that your ECU has a problem, but there's a whole load of other stuff to check out first.

Make sure you haven't been caught out by the one second 'gotcha':
The Brn/Blk lead is connected to earth by the ECU for only a second or so when the ignition is first turned on. After that the ECU turns it off and you will get the readings that you have observed. Secure your probes - positive on the Brn/Blk connector of the Fuel Cut Relay, -ve on a good earth. Turn on the ignition and make sure that you get the reading in that first second. It should read 0v for a second when it is connected to earth, and then read 12v when the ECU disconnects it from earth. It will remain reading 12v from then onwards.

If you are getting 12v on both the Blk/Wh and the Brn/Wh then everything to the left of the Fuel Cut Off Relay is fine, but your Brn/White is not connecting to earth, which is why your Fuel pump isn't working. However, note that the two Black/White leads shown in this diagram are actually much longer than this and are joined further back in the harness. Check that you are getting 12v on both of the leads.

Check the terminals and cable in the relay connector under the Fuel Cut relay. Make sure it is sound. Make sure it is plugged int the spade correctly.

Check the fuel cut relay is OK. Switch it with one of the headlight relays to test it. The two headlight relays are to the left of the main cluster, each one postioned behind one of the fuse boxes.

I'd say to test the fuel pump works, but you have already tested that by applying 12v to it. But check the black connector and it's connections from the fuel pump lead - it joins just below the seat subfram behind the left hand side panel.

Remove the Brn/Bk lead from the fuel cut relay and replace it with a temporary lead, the other end of which is connected to Earth. Turn on the ignition and listen. You should hear the pump. Turn it off again within a second or so, because it will continue pumping and won't turn off by itself. Alternatively, turn the run/stop switch off before turning the ignition on, and just flick the switch on to listen and then flick it off again. It is easier to control. Turn the ignition off and then flick the run/stop switch back on for any future tests.

If you do hear the pump, then that suggests that the connection to Earth is suspect. Either the Brn/Blk lead to the ECU, or the ECU connection to earth. Check your earthing points are clean, uncorroded, and unchewed. There is one under the rear of the tank, just in front of where the front of the saddle is. Early models were subject to a recall for chafing of this bunch of wires. And if you have had mice, it is a tasty bunch of earths for a mouse that has found the area under the tank to get their teeth into. The fuel cut relay also cuts the coils and fuel injection.

Alternatively, the ECU will not allow the circuit to earth to be completed under certain conditions which may involve chewed leads preventing signals getting to the ECU or the clutch switch, neutral switch and sidestand switch have faults. Make sure the bike is in neutral, the sidestand is up and the clutch lever is pulled in - which will make sure that if one of these sensors is dodgy, the other two will be in the correct position to allow the engine to start, to allow you to eliminate those three switches.

Have you disconnected the ECU from its multiway connector at any time. One previous similar problem was due to a bent pin at that conenction after disconnecting and putting it back again.

If all else fails - there is a yellow multiway connector behind the headlights. It connects together a whole load of earth wires. It has been known to overheat and melt - particularly if people have added extra gear and used the bike's earths rather than wiring in a new return to the battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mageerc
That is good information.

Only because I live in the UK. These are the exact symptoms that we get when we try to start the bike with a chipless key. We have HISS fitted. So I have to ask if you do as well. It isn't normal in the States, but just to be sure ... If you do, it will say 'HISS' above a small red light near to where the FI light is located on the dash.

Ok now you have been asked that question:-

1617625947205.png

It could mean that your ECU has a problem, but there's a whole load of other stuff to check out first.

My bike is not a HISS model. I had a spare ECU that failed with a F! 26 knock sensor code that I swapped in to check if it was the problem and that made no change.

Make sure you haven't been caught out by the one second 'gotcha':
The Brn/Blk lead is connected to earth by the ECU for only a second or so when the ignition is first turned on. After that the ECU turns it off and you will get the readings that you have observed. Secure your probes - positive on the Brn/Blk connector of the Fuel Cut Relay, -ve on a good earth. Turn on the ignition and make sure that you get the reading in that first second. It should read 0v for a second when it is connected to earth, and then read 12v when the ECU disconnects it from earth. It will remain reading 12v from then onwards.

I tried this and didn't see what you describe, but will try it again as my method might have not been sound.

If you are getting 12v on both the Blk/Wh and the Brn/Wh then everything to the left of the Fuel Cut Off Relay is fine, but your Brn/White is not connecting to earth, which is why your Fuel pump isn't working. However, note that the two Black/White leads shown in this diagram are actually much longer than this and are joined further back in the harness. Check that you are getting 12v on both of the leads.

This part I understood and I do have the correct voltage there at the relay.

Check the terminals and cable in the relay connector under the Fuel Cut relay. Make sure it is sound. Make sure it is plugged in the spade correctly.

Check the fuel cut relay is OK. Switch it with one of the headlight relays to test it. The two headlight relays are to the left of the main cluster, each one positioned behind one of the fuse boxes.

I did switch in another relay that made no change. two of the wires that the mouse chewed was from the Fuel shutoff relay to the ECU... the area he chewed was on the ECU side of a plug that connects to the fuel shutoff relay,,, I checked continuity from the plug to the ECU and made sure I hadn't inadvertently switched the when I made the repair. That checked out. I unplugged the black connector to the fuel pump and check the continuity of the brown wire from the fuel shutoff relay to the plug and it was OK.

I'd say to test the fuel pump works, but you have already tested that by applying 12v to it. But check the black connector and it's connections from the fuel pump lead - it joins just below the seat subfram behind the left hand side panel.

Remove the Brn/Bk lead from the fuel cut relay and replace it with a temporary lead, the other end of which is connected to Earth. Turn on the ignition and listen. You should hear the pump. Turn it off again within a second or so, because it will continue pumping and won't turn off by itself. Alternatively, turn the run/stop switch off before turning the ignition on, and just flick the switch on to listen and then flick it off again. It is easier to control. Turn the ignition off and then flick the run/stop switch back on for any future tests.

This I haven't tried... so to understand the circuit, the Brn/Bk wire is only a ground connection?

If you do hear the pump, then that confirms that the connection to Earth is suspect. Either the Brn/Blk lead to the ECU, or the ECU connection to earth. Check your earthing points are clean, uncorroded, and unchewed. There is one under the rear of the tank, just in front of where the front of the saddle is. Early models were subject to a recall for chafing of this bunch of wires. And if you have had mice, it is a tasty bunch of earths for a mouse that has found the area under the tank to get their teeth into. The fuel cut relay also cuts the coils and fuel injection.

This bike is a 2003 non ABS and I am aware of the recall for the ground, though I will also check that over.

The ECU will not allow the circuit to be completed to earth under certain conditions which involve the clutch switch, neutral switch and sidestand switch. Make sure the bike is in neutral, the sidestand is up and the clutch lever is pulled in - which will make sure that if one of these sensors is dodgy, the other two will be in the correct position to allow the engine to start.

I'm thinking this is not the problem as I tried all that. What I see that is different than when the bike ran properly is that when the key is switched on, the F1 light comes on and it used to stay on for 2-3 seconds and go out, but now it stays on the entire time that the key is turned to on.

Have you disconnected the ECU from its multiway connector at any time. One previous similar problem was due to a bent pin at that conenction after disconnecting and putting it back again.

I have, but the pins are all good.

If all else fails - there is a yellow multiway connector behind the headlights. It connects together a whole load of earth wires. It has been known to overheat and melt - particularly if people have added extra gear and used the bike's earths rather than wiring in a new return to the battery.

This I will have to investigate...
Thanks much for taking the time to send suggestions!

OP
OP
mageerc
OK, here's the latest. I connected a temporary ground wire to the Br/Blk wire on the Fuel cutoff relay and when I turn on the key the fuel pump indeed engages and runs. I also checked the continuity of the Br/Blk wire from the relay to the ECU and it checks out. According to jheath that leaves the ground for the ECU as the problem. Any suggestions as to where that ground terminates? I found the ground wire on the ECU...

OP
OP
mageerc
There's good news and there's bad news... I don't think I have a problem with the fuel pump circuit. I took off the upper tank in preparation to replace the fuel pump as a precautionary measure as the bike has over 100,000 miles on it. When the tank was raised, I found the wires to the air temperature sensor on top of the air box chewed. I also found that the wires to the air injection control valve were chewed off. I haven't taken off the airbox as yet because I need some JIS screwdrivers to make sure I don't strip those screws inside the box and I fully expect to see more damage under the air box. And the hits just keep on coming!

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
So it has to be either the ground wire from the ECU - or something else that is preventing the ECU from completing the circuit to ground.
The ground wire is likely (but I don't know for certain) to be bolted to the frame behind the air box cover.
However, if you have found other wires chewed I would concentrate on those - it might be that the ECU has simply decided that it cannot allow the fuel pump and ignition circuits to be turned on, due to not getting correct signals from other devices.

Photo shows the rear of the airbox, taking from above from the left side of the bike. Red circle indicates a grounding point.

1617747592137.png

And another, from the left side looking under the tank, tank slid back to its highest position (position of rear bolt in the curved track - blue circle).
Important to keep the tank in that track to avoid risk of damage / straining the short thick elbow of fuel hose joining the lower tank to the upper.

1617748018111.png

OP
OP
mageerc
So it has to be either the ground wire from the ECU - or something else that is preventing the ECU from completing the circuit to ground.
The ground wire is likely (but I don't know for certain) to be bolted to the frame behind the air box cover.
However, if you have found other wires chewed I would concentrate on those - it might be that the ECU has simply decided that it cannot allow the fuel pump and ignition circuits to be turned on, due to not getting correct signals from other devices.

Photo shows the rear of the airbox, taking from above from the left side of the bike. Red circle indicates a grounding point.

1617747592137.png

And another, from the left side looking under the tank, tank slid back to its highest position (position of rear bolt in the curved track - blue circle).
Important to keep the tank in that track to avoid risk of damage / straining the short thick elbow of fuel hose joining the lower tank to the upper.

1617748018111.png
I have the tank off at this point and cleaned all the grounds and I'm replacing the elbow... I suspect that once I repair everything under the airbox, it will fire up. Until I get the airbox off, I won't know what to expect, but I'm getting there. You've been quite helpful and I thank you most graciously. As we say in the rural south... I'm in the short rows now!

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
I suspect you'll find more chewed wires under the airbox...only speaking from experience!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My guess is that you will most likely find the wires to at least one injector damaged. If the ECU does not get feedback from an injector, it disables the fuel pump.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Found this as I started my 400 SuperSport rejuvenation project last summer! Yikes!!

Before and after
1617776256251.png 1617776289030.png

Top Bottom