Updated Shelf Recommendations

I know you said you'd like things higher, but just to throw out an idea, I went the other route. I seldom look at my AM/FM radio, so it went to the bottom, and the Zumo 665 went on top ... just below the speedometer in my line of sight. The MixIt2 master volume control is at top-left, and the XM satellite puck at top-right. But the BIG IMPROVEMENT was I made my dashboard so the whole assembly comes off in one piece. Photos can be seen in THIS gallery.

Wow, this is really impressive. I assume you made the enclosure yourself? Very professional looking. Can you get at your key?

You should be able to get a rough estimate on the length of the bolt and spacer once you have the aluminium bar. Well I guess if you know the thickness of the bar you can just add it to the distance needed. Just take a straight edge to represent the bar and see how much clearance is needed to clear the curve. I am trying to think off the top of my head how long the spacers are on mine. I think I said 1/2" earlier. As I do my finger test sitting here I think they are longer than that. 3/4" maybe. I know they weren't metric. That doesn't matter as long as the hole fits your bolt. Like a washer it isn't a big deal if there is a little slop there. Once you tighten it down it won't go anywhere.

Hi sennister,

can i ask isee the one thats being sold by the member is curved and nearly flush fitting to the dash, i see yours is straight and has the spacers so its of the dash a bit,
do you have any problems with vibration or movement when your gps is fitted.
rob

Wow, this is really impressive. I assume you made the enclosure yourself? Very professional looking. Can you get at your key?
Thank you! Yes, I made it, and could've done it with fewer joints if I had a press break handy. Getting to the key is not a "straight line" affair anymore, but it's not difficult to reach around this dash. Besides, the ignition key is not something I need access to while riding ... only when I start & stop the engine. One other aspect I didn't mention was this arrangement is no good if you like using a tank-bag (which I don't).

Hi sennister,

can i ask isee the one thats being sold by the member is curved and nearly flush fitting to the dash, i see yours is straight and has the spacers so its of the dash a bit,
do you have any problems with vibration or movement when your gps is fitted.
rob

It moves a little but not to the point where I am concerned about anything (loss of the device) or that it impacts visibility of the device.

I know that with some options (the shelf) that there is something under the dash which helps stiffen the mount. I really haven't had any issues. I haven't seen the install of one of the curved versions to know what they are doing but suspect it is pretty close as far as stiffness. I do have a pretty short RAM arm on the GPS mount. Maybe 2".

I could take better pics of it if you were interested. There really isn't much to it. Just the bar, the nylon spacers, U-nuts, Stainless Steel bolts, a RAM ball, and usually my 3rd Garmin or the camera. I don't like the camera there as much as I like having my windscreen all the way down and I don't have a RAM arm long enough to allow me to mount my camera there in that position. So I just go with putting the camera on one of the other RAM mounts. This way I can have the 3RD Garmin up high where it is more in my line of sight. It is mainly used to report the speed limit of the road I am on and the speed I am going. It is kind of neat that they have that and how accurate it normally seems to be. There are a few places I have noticed that it isn't reporting properly but 98% of the time the speed limit for the road changes within 10' of me passing the sign where the speed limit changes.

Hi,
yes i was going to copy yours really i don,t want to try and bend the bar, i am only going to mount my tom tom sat nav nothing else in the middle and luckly
i have the 2" arm as well.
as long as when your riding its clear and not vibrating as such it,ll be fine. I just read a thread on here about a similat one curved with spacers and u nuts not used but the rubber castle nuts,
he said first the castle nuts pulled through so had to take dash off again and put them in the holes under neath so when the dash was put back on the castle nut could,nt pull through, but he mention vibration issuses with the spacers so he replaced them with 3/8 beveled faucet grommets what ever they are.
thanks

rob

Back
Top Bottom