Upgraded 40A alternator fail

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Last month I finally was able to find/make time to replace the old 28A alternator with a used 40A one.
Took off the the fuel tank and swing arm, removed the alternator and base, converted one of the bolts to a 'Lewis pin', and installed the replacement base and alternator.
After bending upwards the brake hose bracket and removing the two gearbox bolts it actually fitted in easier than I had anticipated.
Connected all the wires and fired up the engine for a bit (on the left over fuel in the carbs) and saw voltage output go up to a nice 14.2-14.5V at (slighly over) idle. :)

Put bike back together and finally, after almost half a year, got to ride my own STeed once more.

Unfortunately the fun lasted just short of two weeks.
In the morning when I left for work voltage read 14.2-14.5V but when I arrived at the office it had dropped to 13.8 at idle.
When I left for home in the afternoon however, as soon as I hit the highway I noticed voltage dropping even lower, down to 12.3 before I had a chance to pull over at a gas station.
Initially I thought that perhaps the wire I used to connect the 50A fuse to the + side of the battery had a loose connection or something so I used some spare wire I had in my topcase to bypass it, but no luck.
In the end I ended up pulling the fuses for my lights so I could at least make it home - by that time voltage read 11.2V.

Anyway, checked the IG connection and this provides 12V to the alternator with the ignition switched on.
What else can I check to find the root cause? (preferably without removing the d*mn thing)

OP
OP
Woonjas
Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
replaced the voltageregulator today and when I testfired the engine it out out a nice 14.3V at idle. looks like I finally get to use my ST again :)

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well glad you got the problems taken care of and you can get out to enjoy riding that ST again. Enjoy!!

OP
OP
Woonjas
Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
@DeanR nope. the VR can be replaced in place.
I did have to take of the tank & swingarm again, but that is enough to be able to remove the cover, brushes and VR.
The brushes looked OK, well within service specs

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Possible that the VRR had been abused during its previous life...
Installing the 40A unit is easier when you take rear cover and stator off.

Top Bottom