Upgrading Banjo Bolts

As part of my brake overhaul I thought I would change the dull Honda banjo bolts for shiny new stainless steel ones.

I notice that the spec for the OEM bolts is 10x22 (1.25mm pitch), whereas the standard single line bolt in the uk is 18mm. Our main manufacturers are HEL, Goodridge and Venhill - Spiegler and Galfer not available.

Now I've changed banjo bolts on my previous bikes, including my GL1500, and never measured or worried about the length of the bolt, and never had a problem.

So my main question is do I need to worry about the difference in length, particularly in relation the torque setting - one manufacturer recommends 15-19Nm for their bolts as opposed to 22Nm for the OEM.

As many Honda riders will have used standard length bolts when ordering new lines, presumably this is a non-issue?

The other question I have relates to the 2 different metals - cast(?) and stainless. Normally the recommendation is to use anti-seize but clearly this cannot be used near the braking system. So why is it not a problem here?

Looking forward to your comments.

Paul

Top Bottom