Upgrading the suspension for trailer pulling?

Bamaboy

Day Rider
While researching the ST1100 for pulling a trailer I heard that you almost always have to upgrade the rear shock. Is that true? Anyone pulling a trailer with the stock and how is it handling?

Byron

STOC #
Uni-Go says to run with the ST1300 shock set at firm if pulling their trailer.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Uni-Go says to run with the ST1300 shock set at firm if pulling their trailer.
:plus1:

Actually, the uni-go will have a heavier tongue weight then most, if not all, of the 2-wheel trailers. They will support most of the weight on the axles and if that weight is balanced the tongue weight should be pretty minimal.

Bushtec probably has the most sophisticated suspension for a trailer.

Balancing the load is key. I'm sure other more experienced trailer owners can chime in with more stuff.

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
While my exp is not with towing with the ST, I towed for 3 years on my shadow. If you are using a 2 whel trailer I don't see any reason to turn up the rear suspention. With a 2 wheel your toung weight should be about 10% of the trailer weight. Mine usually came in at about 20 to 25 lbs. So the trailer only added 20 to 25 lbs to the bike. At that weight I found no reason to change anything on the bike.

STOC #
I think I'm the one leading Bamaboy down this path. A friend has a Uni-Go that loads his ST1100 down in the rear and the front end feels too light. I believe it's a combination of the Uni-Go having it's axle at the back of the trailer (what Joe is referring to) and the notoriously undersprung ST1100 rear shock. I wasn't thinking about the 1300 when I suggested he check into it.

OP
OP

Bamaboy

Day Rider
I think I'm the one leading Bamaboy down this path. A friend has a Uni-Go that loads his ST1100 down in the rear and the front end feels too light. I believe it's a combination of the Uni-Go having it's axle at the back of the trailer (what Joe is referring to) and the notoriously undersprung ST1100 rear shock. I wasn't thinking about the 1300 when I suggested he check into it.
I am just looking into my options before I buy a bike. So should I figure in about $400.00 extra for a new shock if I buy an st1100 and plan to pull a trailer? I guess I could put it on myself? I can change an alternator and a starter on a car! :D

Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Changing the shock requires two wrenches and a floor jack. Piece of cake. Ooops! Maybe that should be piece of pie?

Top Bottom