Used 1996 honda st with 600 miles

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
The reliability also means fewer available used parts.
Not in my experience. There are plenty of wrecked, etc. Old bikes get traded or parted for all kinds of reasons. Often I think people give up on them as they don't have the skills, the dealerships/shops don't want to work on them, and they are put to pasture for fairly minor stuff. Remember, there is now an entire generation that has NO idea what to do with a carburetor.....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not in my experience. There are plenty of wrecked, etc. Old bikes get traded or parted for all kinds of reasons. Often I think people give up on them as they don't have the skills, the dealerships/shops don't want to work on them, and they are put to pasture for fairly minor stuff. Remember, there is now an entire generation that has NO idea what to do with a carburetor.....
Plus you have to have the space for a parts bike.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I appreciate that we are all different, and have different needs. One may spend their money any way they choose, its not my business. Whatever makes you happy. What does make me scratch my head however is when people state things that are simply incorrect. Like how difficult it is to find parts for an ST1100. Yes, you can't simply walk into a dealership and purchase every single part you need. But any part, and I do mean any, is readily available. If not new Honda or aftermarket, then used through Ebay, Craigslist, FB, and the bike breakers. Its all available and simply takes a Google search to find. Run the part number, and there it is. Does anyone even check before saying "Oh, thats unobtainium!" ??? When I see those posts and look for myself, in 5 minutes, there are usually 3-4 vendors ready to take my money for that exact part. Now I'm sure someone will point out that I'm talking about used parts. Yes, that I am. Were you really going to spend premium Honda OEM bucks on a $2000K machine? Doubtful. The ability to order OEM Honda parts is entirely irrelevant to keeping a 20+yr old machine on the road. Since the ST1100 is as reliable as an anvil, it doesn't matter.
Most of us know and accept some mental labor will be involved to conduct a parts search for our machine. It's only a problem if you are hundreds of miles from home and you can't beg/bribe a dealer to get your geriatric motorcycle repaired. I like to ride mine like I'm going to due to a June 3 RTE . Leaving at 4 am in the morning when the air is nice and a little cooler. Getting down the road and watching the sun coming up over the horizion humming along at 75 to 80 mph is going to be wonderful. While i'm in the zone riding I am not going to worry about the what if's. No I'm going to be thinking I'm about the luckiest man in the world going to visit some of the finest people in the world.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Plus you have to have the space for a parts bike.
No parts bike. I just order what I need when I need it. Hasn't been a problem in the 3+years of ownership. Even going through the braking system, cooling system, clutch slave, forks, etc.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Most of us know and accept some mental labor will be involved to conduct a parts search for our machine. It's only a problem if you are hundreds of miles from home and you can't beg/bribe a dealer to get your geriatric motorcycle repaired. I like to ride mine like I'm going to due to a June 3 RTE . Leaving at 4 am in the morning when the air is nice and a little cooler. Getting down the road and watching the sun coming up over the horizion humming along at 75 to 80 mph is going to be wonderful. While i'm in the zone riding I am not going to worry about the what if's. No I'm going to be thinking I'm about the luckiest man in the world going to visit some of the finest people in the world.
I have motorcycle towing coverage on AAA. I pay for the top tier service, not actually sure what it will cover but I know they will flatbed the bike a considerable distance. Maintain it well, and ride it. If something happens, so be it. I figure the money I've saved over buying new with payments, high insurance, taxes and interest will cover the recovery, even if its just renting a truck to bring it home. I don't put any faith in a dealership/shop a long way from home fixing anything on any motorcycle old or new in a timely fashion so that's not even an option beyond needing a tire.

Bike
2000 ST1100
:rofl1:
I have motorcycle towing coverage on AAA. I pay for the top tier service, not actually sure what it will cover but I know they will flatbed the bike a considerable distance. Maintain it well, and ride it. If something happens, so be it. I figure the money I've saved over buying new with payments, high insurance, taxes and interest will cover the recovery, even if its just renting a truck to bring it home. I don't put any faith in a dealership/shop a long way from home fixing anything on any motorcycle old or new in a timely fashion so that's not even an option beyond needing a tire.
Yeah I probably need a plan B but I like winging it. Besides what fun would that be to have a plan B? I figure as long as I don't see the buzzards flying around me on a breakdown Im good.

Top Bottom