Using reinforced fuel tubing as coolant pipe ???

In the middle of my top end rebuild, after extensive valve damage ( due to a collapsed water pump bearing ) , I'm replacing all the larger coolant hoses with superior multi layered silicone, but have a problem with the ' small bore ' pipes specifically the ones coming from the oil cooler, as Honda don't make them any more ! Does anyone know if using reinforced fuel tubing is safe for antifreeze, as the last thing I need is corroding hose internals killing the water pump. Have emailed a few company's including ' Gates' but no one even replies ? Have considered extruded silicone hose , but it's only a single layer and not reinforced, ( don't think it's suitable for sustained use with heat and pressure and antifreeze ).
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Try your local car spares store for them - I use Mill Autos in Penance, but you may have a similar chain up your way such as Euro Parts, GSF etc. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Davemac
Try your local car spares store for them - I use Mill Autos in Penance, but you may have a similar chain up your way such as Euro Parts, GSF etc. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your suggestion, Have tried a few local suppliers but the small bore pipes seem to be a problem , 10mm id, 8mm id, and 5.5mm id, haven't been able to source these sizes in actual coolant proof tube, that's why I'm thinking about fuel tubing which they mostly all stock, but, nobody knows if it's antifreeze proof Kind regards Dave

lomita

In God We Trust
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
While the hose isn't under pressure, I have used fuel line hose to replace the hose from the rad neck to the overflow tank and have not seen any debris from hose innards in the reservoir bottle when cleaning it. I would think petrol is more corrosive than coolant anyway, which is designed to be nice with the metals and components of the cooling system.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I also did the same thing when I eplaced the water pump on my 1990 ST last year. I followed the same line of reasoning that fuel and the wide range of solvents it contains was going to be far more severe on an elastomer than ethylene glycol diluted in water, so I would use fuel hose as coolant hose but not the other way around.

Bike
R1200rt
The glycol Is not the problem. It's the temperature/ pressure.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks for the info, have now ordered " similar " coolant hose , the only problem might be bend radius as the oil cooler hoses have several preformed bends which look a bit tight, but , won't know till the tubes arrive.......kind regards Dave
These may work.

hose benders

If not, and preformed hoses are not available, the only solutions are longer hoses rerouted; bend fittings and clamps; or having a custom hose made by a hydraulic shop.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Being that this topic has been brought up, might as well ask here...has anyone ever had the oil cooler line hose leak or fail? My 94 only has 37K miles on it, and I rehabbed all the hoses except the oil cooler lines as they were discontinued (and I read a prior post that someone wrote indicating they had 100K miles on those original hoses and had no issues) and in addition are a real PIA to access the clamps holding them in. I assume mine are fine, just asking.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Being that this topic has been brought up, might as well ask here...has anyone ever had the oil cooler line hose leak or fail? My 94 only has 37K miles on it, and I rehabbed all the hoses except the oil cooler lines as they were discontinued (and I read a prior post that someone wrote indicating they had 100K miles on those original hoses and had no issues) and in addition are a real PIA to access the clamps holding them in. I assume mine are fine, just asking.
Whether they need replacing doesn't have much to do with whether they are still available or how much of a PITA it is to access them. You had some rationale for changing the others. There is no official guidance, but 25 year old rubber bits are a bit of a crap shoot. Good odds of winning the gamble, but no guarantee.

Some decent guidance...

OP
OP
Davemac
My oil cooler hoses are splitting at the ends, after 45k ( 91 German police import )

OP
OP
Davemac
Finished the hose 'upgrade' on my '91 ST, now have multi-layered silicone from both cylinder head elbows to thermostat housing, and to the new (aftermarket ) radiator. All coolant system 'O' rings replaced (thanks to a local supplier) . Remaining small bore hoses including oil cooler hoses replaced with suitably rated fuel/antifreeze proof tubing. The original oil cooler hoses were pre-formed but replaced with ' normal' hose , (larger bend radius), so had to replace the bolt on (rusty) cover/heat shield with a modified custom stainless steel replacement to allow for the larger bend radius. Also covered the oil cooler hoses in stainless braid for additional protection. Thanks to all who posted, kind regards Dave

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Finished the hose 'upgrade' on my '91 ST, now have multi-layered silicone from both cylinder head elbows to thermostat housing, and to the new (aftermarket ) radiator. All coolant system 'O' rings replaced (thanks to a local supplier) . Remaining small bore hoses including oil cooler hoses replaced with suitably rated fuel/antifreeze proof tubing. The original oil cooler hoses were pre-formed but replaced with ' normal' hose , (larger bend radius), so had to replace the bolt on (rusty) cover/heat shield with a modified custom stainless steel replacement to allow for the larger bend radius. Also covered the oil cooler hoses in stainless braid for additional protection. Thanks to all who posted, kind regards Dave
Well done Dave. Your hose 'upgrade' should work well on your '91.

Im looking to replace many coolant hoses around the throttle bodies I also need to replace the T under the right fairing which is a 6mm x 6mm x 8mm which is impossible to find in brass so am going to buy a 6 8 6 one. A guy that had fitted a brass said is 1/4 x 1/4 x 5/16 which is around 6 x 6 x 8. So is it definitely 5.5mm hose i need? I was looking at 6mm fuel hose for strength over plain rubber hose. I know with rubber you can add sometimes heat them and bend them to the required shape but i might need something inside them to prevent kinks

Top Bottom