valve adjustment ave. cost?

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I'm looking at purchasing an ST in the near future and a valve adjustment may be required on one. What is the average dealer charge both for an inspection and/or adjustment? I'll probably do it myself but wanted to get an idea of the cost involved. Too bad they didn't see fit to install the hydralic lash adjusters on this model.

thanks, Pat

Bike
2003 ST1300
My STealer here told me they allow 11 hours for that job. At $68/hour, I decided to do it myself. I was also told that they had never done it on an ST1300 in that shop. It was my first valve check/adjustment and I had a little difficulty but gotter done. I've put over 10000 miles on it since then and I guess I will have to check it again this winter. It only needed two valves adjusted on the easy (left side). Guys on this site were very helpful.:03biker:

I think the price is usually around $400.00, but +1 for taking the plastic off before driving it to the dealer. Or better yet, do it yourself, lots of us have learned how and it's not that bad.

OP
OP
Pat S.
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I believe I will do it myself. I called two dealer in my area and one wanted $1300 to do the job and said he would need the bike for a week. The other wanted 5 hrs. just for the inspection and if any valves needed adjustment that would be more money. He also told me that it had nut/screw type adjusters and I had to educate him as to the fact it was a shim under bucket design. I got the feeling that neither of these dealers had ever performed this procedure.

Pat

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I have a kit containing just about everything you need to do a check and adjustment that I loan out. See the Tools/Workshop forum if you need it.

--Mark

Bike
ST 1300
Originally Posted on 11/05/08
Now for a serious question - I assume the $140 for the services performed was just the labor charge? Buying OEM replacement spark plugs, oil and filter from a dealer would eat up a sizable chunk of that $140, and that's not accounting for any expendables used for the service, such as shop rags, gasket sealant, etc..............glad to share the itemized bill with you..see as follows

4 spark plugs 8.74 ea 34.96
1 clip, splash 2.77 2.77
----------------------------------------------
parts sub total 37.73

adj valves
replace plugs
service check...............labor 1.2 hrs 90.00

shop supplies 4.00

sub total 131.73

sales tax 9.22

total bill 140.95.

this is the actual figure and words as I read them off the invoice.

remember even though it says valve adjustment all they really did was a valve check....an adjustment if needed is about 6-8 hours of labor. As the head tech said most ST's are never out spec for at least 50000 miles so there is no need to charge a customer for a valve adjustment although I have heard some places do. HAPS Honda in Sarasota Florida is one of the most respected dealers in the country. Thats why I drive 80 miles to have the bike done there. A local guy does tires and oil changes but for any major mechanical (although I never needed any) the bike will go there.

PS I dont even know what a splash clip is for 2.77

There was no oil and filter change.

The handwritten sheet of the valve clearances was an added bonus and as people on here in the past have stated...its a very important record of your motor for future wear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Geoff; 11-05-2008 at 08:09 AM.

OP
OP
Pat S.
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I have a kit containing just about everything you need to do a check and adjustment that I loan out. See the Tools/Workshop forum if you need it.

--Mark

Thanks Mark! I'll keep that in mind. I don't have an ST yet but have been looking at several and believe I will buy a used one in the next few weeks. The bad part is I will have to travel quite a ways to get one no matter how I go. With limited time it will turn into a rushed instead of a leisurely trip.

Pat

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I took the bike in naked and they checked valves, change brake and clutch fluid, all for 158.00.
I tried that but the service manager just screamed "Jeez, man, get some clothes on!" They didn't even look at my bike. :(

Top Bottom