valve question

Bike
05 St 1300 Hond
Checked my valves this weekend, while doing the major tuneup and fluids. Valve clearance on #1 cylinder exhaust is .0085. Spec is .010. All other clearances were good. Bike has 32000 miles on it. Is this worth getting into the ugly sport of changing shims???
While I'm at it, I guess the fuel filter, which has never been done is due. Honda, or is there a good after market one. Appreciate members opinions.

John

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
0.0085" is below the 0.009" spec. Exhaust valves are subject to burning if their clearance is insufficient. Yes, it's worth digging in to fix it if you plan to keep the bike that is.

Don't know about aftermarket fuel filters for the 1300, but almost any automotive one that will fit in the right space and has the correct size connectors should work for the 1100. In case we are talking about a 1300, I can say that my bike is at 75,000 miles and I have not had to change the fuel filter yet.

Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
How good are you with feeler gauges? 0.0005 is hard to determine for most. I would not go thru all the work necessary for .0005 on only one valve, especially if it were the right bank! only my .02 worth. willy

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
I just realized you guys are on ST13s.... nevertheless, I'm chcking valves on my '95 ST11 and found both exh on #3 to be tight (0.007 and 0.008). Spec is 0.009-11" and since these ARE exhs, I'm going to be very diligent at getting them correct. Btw, my feelers are in full 0.001" increments and that seems to work fine. My first attempt at shims was wrong and found new clearances now at max of 0.011 so I'm going to try again to get them in the middle. Local shop doesn't exchange shims but I was happy they had a decent selection despite the $9 each charge.

Brendan

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
"I just realized you guys are on ST13s.... nevertheless, I'm chcking valves on my '95 ST11 and found both exh on #3 to be tight (0.007 and 0.008). Spec is 0.009-11" and since these ARE exhs, I'm going to be very diligent at getting them correct. Btw, my feelers are in full 0.001" increments and that seems to work fine. My first attempt at shims was wrong and found new clearances now at max of 0.011 so I'm going to try again to get them in the middle. Local shop doesn't exchange shims but I was happy they had a decent selection despite the $9 each charge."

Brendan

If you are saying that the exhausts are now at .011...........I would leave them as is. They tend to tighten up as the miles ad up. Every bike I have ever shimmed has been set at the maximum allowed clearance.

I've been thinking about this post a lot (maily cuz I like to learn), and I suppose there is always the exception to the rule (WeeSter) that the valves tend to tighten up as they get older. I'm wondering what the clearance was in previous inspections. Are the valves getting more loose, tight, or not at all. If it was a LOT looser before, I'm not sure I'd make a minor adjustment to get the clearance to 0.010 for ONE valve.

If the valves clearance is getting tighter it might indicate the valves are being raised in their seats by wear
Which is what most of us expect, for them to get tighter. Why is his loose is my question, but more importantly, which way are they TRENDING from previous checks.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
If I had an exhaust valve set at 0.011, I'd leave it. That's in spec and I figure I won't have to mess with it again for a long time. Though there have been some reports of clearances opening, that has never been my experience in 150K on an ST1100 and 75K on a 1300. They have always tightened for me. I think increasing clearances are the exception rather than the rule.

The ST1100 is a lot easier to access with respect to pulling the cams than the 1300. No cam chain to fiddle with and you can remove the holders for the exhaust and intake cams individually whereas the 1300 has one big holder for both cams.

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
I'm wondering what the clearance was in previous inspections. Are the valves getting more loose, tight, or not at all. If it was a LOT looser before, I'm not sure I'd make a minor adjustment to get the clearance to 0.010 for ONE valve.
My bike has 67K miles on it and I just got it a few months ago. Only service records/receipts I could get only went back a few yrs and about 10k miles so I've no idea on the trend here. All other clearances were perfect except for the two tight exh valves on #3. They're easy to check and adjust and I've got them at 0.011 and 0.010 now and I'll go with that. Engine ran and sounded fine before so this is mostly for peace-of-mind but I am glad to have those two exh back in spec. Btw, it was impressively clean in there and I was suprised how much oil gets pumped up there when I ran the starter a bit (plus those cam bearing covers have oil squirt holes over each cam lobe... nice! I had orignally gone in there to fix what looks to have been a long term leak on the RHS cover so again, it'll be nice to have that cleaned up as well.

Update: I had transposed some of the numbers on my notes for my shop visit (to get shims) but something was just not right upon resassembly. I finally realized my mistake, swapped the shims between the two exh valves and voila!!!! Both now at 0.010", just like all the rest of 'em. Sheesh!!!! Carby sync followed and she sounds great (just like before).

Regards,
Brendan
San Jose, CA

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My 1300 has been in spec to last check at 65,000 miles. Some bikes have needed adjustment at far less miles though. I just have to know for myself but I stretch the checks to 20,000 or so miles.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Just checked my 05 at 54K. everything in spec, except a few ex. at 8. Rest right on. Gotta shim her.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I have seen somewhere on the forum where someone posted a spreadsheet to use to record valve clearences. I know I have seen it, but don't remember where, either Jeff or it might have been Byron. Anyone know where it might be?

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Several relatively recent threads about valve checks. Do some searches.

Loosening clearances may be an indication of carbon build up, might be worth running some Techron or such thru a tank then taking another reading.

I've recently done both my STs shims, attempted to put all the valves back to mid-range. After nearly 300,000 miles on the two bikes, this is the first shim changes I've ever had to do. I'm sure both bikes had some changes before I got hold of'em but a first for me. Odd thing is, both required several changes after no changes for a long time. Tight to nominal for each required change, a couple were tight by .003 compared to mid-range, .002 too tight.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I have seen somewhere on the forum where someone posted a spreadsheet to use to record valve clearences. I know I have seen it, but don't remember where, either Jeff or it might have been Byron. Anyone know where it might be?
I have a spreadsheet I use to record mine. I cant find the the link here, so I will post it tonight.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Thanks for the link. After getting the shims in the other day, I got all ex. valves to 0.010-11. Instead of getting a full Hot Cams set I just ordered a refill set 1.50-1.75, (5 shims each size) which is about half the price. Instead of leaving 0.09 valves, I decided to bring all ex. to 0.010. All intakes were right on. 54K.

Top Bottom