valve tapping ?

Bike
2002 st 1100
I am new st 1100 owner here. just bought a 2002 1100, 33000 ish miles from a private owner. I drove it around for a while for the first time a week after I bought it, after riding it and letting it sit... I came bk out to move it, I restarted it and there was a noticeable tapping sound a singular continuous tapping sound for about ten seconds and it stopped. I restarted the bike and it did it again. I had previously started the motor every day for a week and this noise did not occur. thoughts?

TY in advance Charles

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Did the previous owner own it from new? Did he keep any service records?

Chances are with that low mileage, the valve clearances may never have been checked. If you are handy with some relatively easy maintenance - not many bikes nowadays are as easy to work on as a ST1100 - get yourself the Honda Service Manual and check those clearances. A valve too loose isn't dangerous, but one too tight, which won't make any noise, can be disastrous.

A loose tapping valve won't stop tapping though, so your problem may lie elsewhere. Does the noise increase in speed if you rev the engine slightly?

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
I had a leaky exhaust gasket that would seal after a few seconds of starting. Sounded like valves tapping....... Could see the soot marks when I changed the headers....

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Check your oil level.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I had a leaky exhaust gasket that would seal after a few seconds of starting. Sounded like valves tapping....... Could see the soot marks when I changed the headers....
+1... exhaust leaks can sound exactly like a valve tapping.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Welcome to the forum from Cornwall UK! +1 on the above suggestions and also check the metal cover plates over the exhaust headers as they can get loose and rattle.

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
I am new st 1100 owner here. just bought a 2002 1100, 33000 ish miles from a private owner. I drove it around for a while for the first time a week after I bought it, after riding it and letting it sit... I came bk out to move it, I restarted it and there was a noticeable tapping sound a singular continuous tapping sound for about ten seconds and it stopped. I restarted the bike and it did it again. I had previously started the motor every day for a week and this noise did not occur. thoughts?

TY in advance Charles
Sounds like an exhaust gasket leak to me.

Top Bottom