Vancouver Ferries

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Do you need or recommend reservations for the 2 ferries to get to Vancouver Island and back? Late July time frame.

Horseshoe Bay & Departure Bay
Swartz Bay & Tsawwassen

Bike
'09 ST1300A
Do you need or recommend reservations for the 2 ferries to get to Vancouver Island and back? Late July time frame.

Horseshoe Bay & Departure Bay
Swartz Bay & Tsawwassen
Will you be travelling by motorcycle or other vehicle?

Two years ago, in August, with a group of motorcycles, we travelled Horseshoe Bay to Departure Bay and then Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen without reservations. Motorcycles were given advance loading, segregated parking and advance unloading. I don't think that motorcycle reservations were accepted at the time.

You can confirm whether reservations are recommended or required by calling 1-888-223-3779 (Canada & USA) Monday to Friday 7:00 am – 10:00 pm Saturday and Sunday 7:00 am – 7:00 pm.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Bikes are first on and first off on BC Ferries. (after the walk on passengers) Arrive about an hour early for your preferred sailing time though, to ensure you get placed at the front of the parking lot. Arrive close to departure and you may end up mixed in with the cars, or not get on that sailing at all.

Wheel chocks are available up front where the bikes are placed. AFAIK from years ago, there are no floor tie down points, but really not needed. The ferries generally don't sail when the seas are too rough. Put the bike on the side stand and in first gear. If you have a Pendle brake, that's even more insurance against movement.

Bike
2014 ST1300
BC Ferries info for motorcycles. I tried to find the section that talked about reservations for motorcycles but couldn't find it. I went over and back from the Island a couple weeks ago. They wouldn't let me reserve a spot but they did board motorcycles first, though as Bush says, during peak times or if there is a wait for a sailing, i.e., you have to wait for the 9 am sailing if the 8 am sailing was full and you arrived at 7 am, motorcycles board in the order they arrived like other vehicles. This of course may fluctuate depending upon who's herding the cats on any given day.

July will be high traffic season so you will want to get there well in advance and if they will let you make a reservation, do so. We went over in August in a car and there were multiple sailing waits. They had chocks for the bikes but no tie down points when I went the other week and the precautions Bush mentions are what I did as well.

Bike
CBR500R
I ride the ferry's every year and have never had to wait for a sailing. Bike's get priority but if there are a lot of bikes they may make you wait so show up at least 1 hour early.
If you are traveling from the Vancouver side when you arrive at the ticket booths you can just go to anyone that is open regardless of the sign above it. Just tell them where you are going at the booth and they will sell you a ticket. For example the sign is for Gulf Islands but you are going to Victoria that's fine if you are on a bike.
They provide large wheel chocks that you can put under the side of your bike on the right hand side opposite the side stand so it can't rock over on the high side. When you park they want you to be across the boat 80 to 90 degrees from the direction that you ride in on. That's my ST behind this old pan head. This is where the chock goes.

Pan head.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom