Vancouver trip, looking for suggestions...

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
I am in the process of mapping my 2023 trip to Vancouver. I am looking for suggestions for "Must see & do" things. I think I have all the good roads covered but if you know of anything that I don't already have mapped let me know! Planning on late July 2023. I definitely want to go to Vancouver Island, any suggestions on things to see while we are on the island?

Vancouver.JPG

Bike
2014 ST1300
  • I've never been but have heard good things about Tofino, not sure about the road in and out, I believe it's two lane but paved
  • There's whale watching out of Victoria, a bit commercial but still pretty decent
  • I don't know if you are into wine but if you are, you may want to consider dipping down or up to Kelowna.
  • Grouse Grind if you're into exertion
  • Walking around the harbors in Vancouver and Victoria, the seawall and Stanley Park in Vancouver are very nice, you can rent bicycles to ride around both

Bike
CBR500R
I would suggest that you include Highway 31a in your plans. North of Creston there is a ferry to cross the lake but it is free. Once off the ferry about 5 miles up the road is Toad Rock motorcycle campground, if you are camping it is quite the place lots of Harleys but everyone is friendly. On Vancouver Island if you are going to travel north the road to Gold River from Campbell River is a very nice motorcycle road once in Gold River you have to return on the same road or ride some gravel. The road section marked 22 on your map was washed out by rain a year and half ago, it is now open but there are sections of gravel and likely to be construction in the summer.

Attachments

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
As mentioned, a ride over to Tofino on Vancouver Island is a good choice. Take #1 north from Nanaimo to Parksville, then #4 through Port Alberni over to Tofino. Cathedral Grove after Parksville on #4 has spectacular old growth forest and it's a nice bit of twisty road too. You will have to retrace your path back to Nanaimo though, before you can resume your intended path.

When coming off the island from Victoria, do take the Tsawwassen ferry back to the Mainland and follow #17 to Surrey, (not 17A to Ladner - watch the signs as it can be confusing there) which eventually gets you out to Hwy 1 (Trans Canada). Stay heading east on #1 until you come to Abbotsford, where you can take Hwy 11 north to Mission and then right on Hwy 7 at Mission. This is a much better (two lane) road that will take you all the way to Hope, with some nice twisty bits, rather than the terribly straight and boring Trans Canada through the Fraser Valley. Once in Hope, you can resume your path up the Fraser Canyon, which is not to be missed.

Also previously mentioned is your number 22, which is Hwy 8 from Spences Bridge to Merritt. It suffered massive devastation in November 2021 floods and will be under reconstruction still, so I suggest you carry on up the #1 until you come to Hwy 97/1 at Cache Creek. Follow 97/1 back to Kamloops until you come to the Coquihalla Hwy (#5) to head south again. Taking that to its end, near Hope again, gets you onto Hwy 3 to head east on your intended path.

thekaz

haz gone feral
HA way to many great roads here .... BUT I would add another vote for tofino :D
and ya like others have said your #22 no longer exists.

OP
OP
tnman
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the suggestions!
I incorporated the Flop house, thanks @ToddC
Added Tofino due to the multiple requests also.
@maddog13 I got your 31a added also, Thanks!

I also flipped my out and back. While it looks like BC8 is now open it will still have a lot of lingering construction and I don't know if it will be worth it.
QUESTION: Flipping my loop causes me to miss the route from Kamloops to Lillooet (1 & 99). Am I missing anything important or amazing to ride? I doubt 1 would be that great, not sure about 99 though. I know @Bush recommended just backtracking to Kamloops but doesn't look like a fun enough route to do twice at 100+ miles each.

Vancouver1.JPG

Bike
05 ST1300
Another vote to go to Torino and Ucluelet. While in Torino take a whale tour, or just wander thro all the vendors stalls.

One of my all time favourite roads is Squamish to Pemberton, to Lilloette to Hwy1/Fraser Canyon, or the reverse. Stop in at Whistler Mountain, just be sure to bring lots of $ haha.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Thanks for the suggestions!
I incorporated the Flop house, thanks @ToddC
Added Tofino due to the multiple requests also.
@maddog13 I got your 31a added also, Thanks!

I also flipped my out and back. While it looks like BC8 is now open it will still have a lot of lingering construction and I don't know if it will be worth it.
QUESTION: Flipping my loop causes me to miss the route from Kamloops to Lillooet (1 & 99). Am I missing anything important or amazing to ride? I doubt 1 would be that great, not sure about 99 though. I know @Bush recommended just backtracking to Kamloops but doesn't look like a fun enough route to do twice at 100+ miles each.

Vancouver1.JPG
Your revised route looks like a good choice. There will undoubtedly be gravel and one lane traffic on Hwy 8 this summer, as large, entire sections of the road were literally washed away from the mountainside path they followed. Whether they backfill those sections, build bridges, or carve further into the mountains, it will be a major job.

If you want to catch that section of road to Lillooet (99), which would be worth it, don't take 12 to Lillooet, but stay on 1 going north in the Canyon, do a short stretch on 97 north and then turn left on 99.

You may not enjoy the full length of the Coquihalla from Kamloops to Hope, as it is a divided 4 lane highway with a lot of straight road, like an Interstate, but at elevation. You could cut out the top half of it by taking the 5A exit off the #1 near Kamloops. It rejoins the Coq at Merritt, where you continue on to Hope from there.

I have not done that 5A myself, but it does look more interesting than the Coq would be.

Bike
2014 ST1300
I took 5A south from Kelowna for the first time at the end of November in the car when they closed the Coquihalla due road conditions/accidents.

It’s a gorgeous twisty scenic drive. It’s only two lanes, one each way, without a ton of passing opportunities so it won’t be the speediest route but the whole way down I drove my wife crazy by constantly saying I had to come back and ride it on the bike.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
One of my all time favourite roads is Squamish to Pemberton, to Lilloette to Hwy1/Fraser Canyon, or the reverse.
Commonly called the Duffy Lake Loop amongst the locals. A Vancouver departure and return doing that loop usually takes about 8 - 10 hours, with a breakfast stop in Squamish and an ice cream stop in Lytton, but the ice cream stop is no longer, as Lytton was entirely wiped off the map from a forest fire two years ago and has not been rebuilt yet, if it ever will be.

Bike
CBR500R
The number 1 from Kamloops to Cache Creek is one of the better bits of #1. open grass land and big sweeper corners. The 99 from Cache Creek to Lillooet is a nice ride. I personally don't care for the Coquihalla it is just a freeway. It has lots of nice mountain views but not much for riding.
If you want to avoid the #1 from the west side of Kamloops going up the hill take Lac La Jeune road when you get to the Coquihalla pass over it and continue to Logan Lake. From Logan Lake stay on 97C it will take you to Cache Creek. There is also a road north from Logan Lake that will take you to Savona this is a paved logging road so the surface can be bad in spots but it is a nice but slow ride.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
No, but I wasn’t very clear; we were heading west to the Coquihalla from Kelowna via the Okanagan Connector and were diverted down 5A from the Connector when they shut the Coquihalla.
I see your intent now, but that section of 5A isn't on the OP's route. It is a great road to Princeton and then the #3 though.

Top Bottom