Venting Heat Away

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I'll know in a few days if it helps any. Should keep the fairing compartments cooler at least.

Attachments

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Nice work on making it look clean. I was thinking about adding one of those next to the inspection cover to blow some engine heat either on my lower leg or off away from my legs.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks. I wish I had been more awake when I did it. Ideally I would have moved them down 1/2-3/4 inch and back 1/2 inch.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I was thinking a louver might work as well.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Those "fins" inside the vent can be adjusted so the openings are facing forward or rearward or closed altogether. The also swivel up and down. Just like your car dash vents.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Will do. But I may not get a ride in until next week. Combo of work and rain.

I can tell you I had the bike idling in the garage and once warmed up you could feel warm air rising out of them. It was about 70 degrees in the garage. That's heat that would have been trapped inside the fairing, heating up the air box, tank, frame and glove compartments, so I'm going to assume it will help. My main concern was installing them behind the radiator line or they wouldn't have done anything.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Will do. But I may not get a ride in until next week. Combo of work and rain.

I can tell you I had the bike idling in the garage and once warmed up you could feel warm air rising out of them. It was about 70 degrees in the garage. That's heat that would have been trapped inside the fairing, heating up the air box, tank, frame and glove compartments, so I'm going to assume it will help. My main concern was installing them behind the radiator line or they wouldn't have done anything.
Where did you get the vents? Link? Price? Thank you.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Where did you get the vents? Link? Price? Thank you.
Ebay. I can't remember if they were off of a Goldwing or old Yamaha Venture Royale, I've had them for months. They were $15 if I remember right.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Little update here.... rode 28 miles to work this morning. It was only 70 degrees, not enough to generate any real heat. The only place I used to feel warmth was on my left shin, and I wear textile riding pants. Today in jeans I felt nothing. Small test sample I know. It should be close to 80 for the ride home and that might be a better ride to gauge.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Good idea and good luck with it! Let us know how well it worked....

Bike
1991 ST1100
Nice clean job on the install. Congrats. Curious to hear if it "helps"...

For me (and this isn't you or your install, just me), the louvers themselves look a little bit too "1970's Mercury Marquis" style for my taste. I'd love to do something like this, but I'd have to find something a bit less square and maybe without the 'flippy' adjustable blades.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If that works well I think some ducts as on race and exotic sports cars would be very cool in both form and function!

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
UPDATE... Just had a 6 day ride with a bunch of other ST's in the Va./W. Va./Tennessee area. Rode close to 1500 miles if not more. Went thru some 82 degree temps.

There was a definite difference. No heat felt on my left foot and shin. Nothing on my right foot. Those were my warm spots. A friend and I switched bikes and we both said the same thing... "immediately noticed the difference". I could feel heat from his frame on the inside of my thighs, none on mine (I had put the sticky back foil heat shield stuff on the inside of my frame rails when I did the sync). While taking a break you could feel the heat coming out of my vents after riding hard.

So there you have it, take it for what it's worth.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'll be investigating something like this. It makes a lot of sense. I tried the aluminum/reflectix fix, and got no joy. it reduced it a small amount, but not enough. A bead seat cover helped a little, as do my home made "Baker Air Wings". However, adding a bit more cooling would be great!

I am thinking something to induce a venturi effect, mounted in the same place.

After a ride in 88* sunny weather the other day, I am ready to try something new!

Top Bottom