Venting Heat Away

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I've got the heat issue also on my 08 ST1300. It's only on my shins though , but it gets irritating in the hot weather months . Which we only have a few :)

I may experiment with either drilling holes or making a slot in the lower black fairings and installing a vent. If I can get the directed heat down and let it out , then there should be less heat being thrown on my shins......To Be Continued....
How do you plan on "directing the heat down" when hot air rises? Drilling holes in the lower black fairing is going to exhaust the hot air on your feet and shins once moving. At standstill they will do nothing as all the heat is generated and trapped above that.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
How do you plan on "directing the heat down" when hot air rises? Drilling holes in the lower black fairing is going to exhaust the hot air on your feet and shins once moving. At standstill they will do nothing as all the heat is generated and trapped above that.
Since the heat is generated when riding by air moving by the engine and mostly the exhaust headers , I was going to try some holes or a vent right below that area so the heat would exit out the bottom and not out the side where it hits my shins. Just a thought....I like the vent idea so I'll keep that in mind too.
Hot air rises? No kidding..... :)

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I was thinking that I needed to move hot air from the area under the tank/in front of the seat, which will encourage fresh COOLER air to replace it. So either add cold air under pressure or tap into a lower pressure zone to extract it. I don't often ride slow so I should be able to work with the available airstream. One complicating factor is the tight space in the ST engine bay, quite different it seems to the 1100 which was quite forgiving. I guess that is the side effect of the mass centralisation that has taken place.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Or just remove the left and right inner cowls and tie wrap the temp pick up to it's original mount. Now some ambient incoming air will flow around the radiator and all will be cooler under the fairing plus your legs. I rode my '03 for 85,000miles this way with no problems. I know some don't like this idea but my bike went 94,000 miles before the first to two valves were .001 out of spec. Better then most.

Ed Wing

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Or just remove the left and right inner cowls and tie wrap the temp pick up to it's original mount. Now some ambient incoming air will flow around the radiator and all will be cooler under the fairing plus your legs. I rode my '03 for 85,000miles this way with no problems. I know some don't like this idea but my bike went 94,000 miles before the first to two valves were .001 out of spec. Better then most.

Ed Wing
I've done this as step one. I put a cable tie between the side fairing and the top as a brace on both sides as the leading edge does feel a bit flexy without the inner cowls. Looking forward to a test run this weekend. Can't see this could cause any engine heat issue, just think of all the naked water-cooled bikes.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I cut off the forward tip of both inner cowls and put them back in place using the one push pin and one screw as before. This provided the fairing stiffness needed. The fairing did not blow off at 130 (indicated) .

Ed Wing

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have an 07 1300 and don't experience the heat issues others have. On several occasions last summer, I rode for several hours in 30C heat and my tank would get warm but no worse than other bikes I've owned. Maybe I got lucky with mine. I did take a picture of the grille in the fairing that allows air to escape behind the radiator. There is lots of open area to promote air flow through the rad. For what it's worth

Attachments

Having insulated my bike with silver foam previously now i have noticed a few things header pipes get get wicked hot and many coat or wrap their pipes to reduce the heat but straight through pipes solve this. my 3 suggestions would be. aftermarket pipes nice sound. Remove the lower black fairing allowing wind to suck the heat away and put some spacers under the tank bolts creating a gap around the tank. Lift the tank and stick a couple of layers of foil on the underside. maybe try the tank bits first.

Sorry I missed something. What you do is buy the nut cooler and change the hose to a soft one. You can mount it under the headlight and vent it into the area under the tank. Stick the reflective foil on the underside of the tank but not right to the edge. Then put spacers on the tank bolts. The idea is the vent will force cold air under the tank and then the air will escape around the edge of the tank where it is usually trapped. We haven't had hot weather yet but I will look into this when we do

If you want vents I would be tempted to pick a shape I like and cut it out then use rubber trim around the edge and mount black mesh behind it which could be complicated to do. If you was going to do a long top vent you might want to leave sections of the fairing for support. I would think the trapped heat under the tank is the bigger issue

Top Bottom