Versys

Bike
08 st300abs
Oh darn.
I wish I could have seen this earlier. I guess it is not too late to have it painted RED like mine...lol I love my 08. it is a ball to ride. : ) On or off road, just no single track is how I would describe them.
Congrats on the New Scoot!

added: a 1k mile days are noooo problem. : )

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Ok...I have been searching these things quite a bit and have some questions. What do you guys recommend as some of the first farkles? Yeah I don't even have the bike yet. I have read that one should install a hugger to protect some electrical controls infront of the wheel. Which one?

I know for longer days I will need some highway pegs, is motowerks about the only option if you dont have crash bars?

Flatfoot needed?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Flatfoot is helpful. A power port would be, too. I added grip heaters, fork lights and connected a cradle for my zumo. Do all that and you may as well get a Fuzeblock...fits nicely under the seat next to the battery. The PO included the OEM flyscreen and a bigger shield. I prefer the bigger one. I made a hugger out of a stiff rubber material...cut the shape and attached to the battery box.

Ride your new bike a while and you'll figure out some other things you want. The Versys is easy to modify.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Flatfoot is helpful. A power port would be, too. I added grip heaters, fork lights and connected a cradle for my zumo. Do all that and you may as well get a Fuzeblock...fits nicely under the seat next to the battery. The PO included the OEM flyscreen and a bigger shield. I prefer the bigger one. I made a hugger out of a stiff rubber material...cut the shape and attached to the battery box.

Ride your new bike a while and you'll figure out some other things you want. The Versys is easy to modify.
Would you post some pics up of the hugger you made?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Would you post some pics up of the hugger you made?

It's more of a mud flap as it doesn't "hug" the tire like a fender. Keeps crud out of the electronics down there. Simple, effective, out of sight.

Bike
red 05 ST1300
How is the electrical system's capacity for handling extras such heated gear, lights etc? I know lthe Vstrom was weak in this area.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I guess I never understood why folks ask a question on the X forum about Y,,, when a Y forum exists???:confused::confused:
Seems like the 4-500 members here,,,http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/,,, would be able to give better answers and have a broader range of experiences.
But what the Hell do I know......

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I guess I never understood why folks ask a question on the X forum about Y,,, when a Y forum exists???:confused::confused:
Seems like the 4-500 members here,,,http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/,,, would be able to give better answers and have a broader range of experiences.
But what the Hell do I know......
Likewise I never understood why people post in threads they have nothing constructive to add to....touche.

I have introduced myself at Kawasakiversys.com, but they require a 48 hour period before you can post in any section other then the introduction section.

Plus I personally know most the people here and trust their opinions over somebody I don't know.

PS. This is a Sport Touring forum and I believe the Versys can fit in that category.

org

Sorry. I am late seeing this thread. I had a ST1300 and once the Versys was in the garage, I never rode the ST. That includes a 6000 km 10 day trip. The little green thing was so much more engaging and entertaining to ride. Here is what I eventually did to it before trading up to a Multistrada.
Givi bags and Windscreen with Madstad bracket
Speedy lowering pegs and Oxford heated grips
Revalved compression stack in the fork and 2008 R1 rear shock with custom 800 lb\in spring
Fuzeblock under Corbin seat
Zumo 550
New bike and all the goodies for less than $9,000 CAN.
What a hoot!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Search the Versys site for the specific output of the alternator. There is not as much oomph as the ST, but plenty to run heated grips, gloves and jacket. If I run all that (as I did yesterday) I leave the fork lights off.

Bike
08 st300abs
Full heated gear from socks to gloves . GPS. Top box lights. (dnr the name) LED driving lights 24/7 never a problem.

Being a newb here I can only guess that you trust the opinions of your buds here that are familiar with the Versys. You will love it.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Search the Versys site for the specific output of the alternator. There is not as much oomph as the ST, but plenty to run heated grips, gloves and jacket. If I run all that (as I did yesterday) I leave the fork lights off.
Full heated gear from socks to gloves . GPS. Top box lights. (dnr the name) LED driving lights 24/7 never a problem.

Being a newb here I can only guess that you trust the opinions of your buds here that are familiar with the Versys. You will love it.
I have the same experience:
I have run my Versys for many hours with fork lights (55W, always on), heated grips high and heated jacket liner high. Cappuccino maker was off, though.

As for first farkles, I like:
- Crash bars (I have SW Motech).
- Hand guards (to protect the levers in case you fall).
- Foot peg lowering kit (I have 36" inseam, it helps).
- Flatfoot for that skinny side stand is helpful.
- Better windshield (mine is MRA Vario on a Madstad adjustable bracket = no more buffeting).

Have fun farkling and riding your Versys, you devious "for a friend" person you! :D
Now you won't have to ride past that interesting looking unpaved side road anymore, just turn and explore!

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I have the same experience:
Now you won't have to ride past that interesting looking unpaved side road anymore, just turn and explore!
Honestly the ST never really stopped me from that, just ask anyone thats ridden any distance with me.

congratulations on the Versys - I really like mine - it is set up very much like Terry's - I got mine very comfy - Hi-way pegs, crash bars, BMW RT 1150 sergent seat, Large cal-Sci windscreen with a madstad

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
Saw a yellow Versys parked next to a black Super T parked next to a black Wee Adventure at a local dealer yesterday. For a moment I had this fantasy about having all three in the garage. The yellow Versys looked sharp. I would love to have one for lighter duty. But what the hell do I know....I own a Beemer. Farkle well my friends:)
Mike

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
congratulations on the Versys - I really like mine - it is set up very much like Terry's - I got mine very comfy - Hi-way pegs, crash bars, BMW RT 1150 sergent seat, Large cal-Sci windscreen with a madstad
Once I get mine we will have to meet up and compare notes, and take them for a spin.

Do you have the motowerk highway pegs? Are the other options, I have not really found any others.

I assume that most of the talk about the Versys is regarding the 650cc model,,Anyone know if the Versys 1000 is coming to the USA?

Later Vern

Top Bottom