GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
When I first saw him pull-starting an engine with a shaft running out of it, I thought "looks like he's trying to start a radial engine."
While not a true radial, the exposed cylinders look a lot like those of older radial-powered airplanes.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I first saw him pull-starting an engine with a shaft running out of it, I thought "looks like he's trying to start a radial engine."
While not a true radial, the exposed cylinders look a lot like those of older radial-powered airplanes.
Air cooled V8

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I remember as a child my uncle starting his very old cat tractor using a "Pony" engine to get it turning to start it. This reminds me of that.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I remember as a child my uncle starting his very old cat tractor using a "Pony" engine to get it turning to start it. This reminds me of that.
I used to operate a John-Deere tractor like that. It had a small auxiliary two-stroke gasoline engine that was started first. That was used to start the main Diesel engine. This was before 12V electrical systems and starter motors came along that were powerful enough to start a Diesel engine. What a pain. The two stroke only ever ran long enough to get carboned up and fouled, so it was always hard to start. It also had a hand operated clutch lever that was about three and half feet long. Talk about awkward and difficult to finesse the engagement point.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It also had a hand operated clutch lever that was about three and half feet long. Talk about awkward and difficult to finesse the engagement point.
If guys did not learn to wheelie first on tractors, we would not have perfected the technique on bikes.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If guys did not learn to wheelie first on tractors, we would not have perfected the technique on bikes.
More like lurch four feet forward or backward rather than wheelie, and smash in to whatever you were trying to gently get close to.

Top Bottom