Wanted Vintage size tires

Price
??

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I think your missing, or not understanding my point.
On your Link, if you Type in Brand, (Yamaha) CC's (400) Model (SR400), and years 2014-2022, it shows fitment of 100/90 18 Front and 110/90 18 rear.
Which are NOT the correct size Fitment that Yamaha recommends, nor it came with.
When you scroll down on your Link provided, and click on MORE INFO for the Battlax BT46 tires, and click DOWNLOAD, it lists all the sizes for these tires.
The product number you listed 17401 is for a REAR tire fitment, not the front, and again its not the correct size for Yamaha's fitment recommendations.
There is no 90/100 18 tire listed on either of their charts, so the question is, will the 100/90 18 listed as product number 17392 on their chart interchange with the correct (no longer made) 90/100 18 tire?
They also show under front tire sizes Product number(s) 17392 and 17407 as the same sizes?
I'm thinking I may have to go to a 90/90 18 front and the correct 110/90 18 rear?

Attachments

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
…but if you remember, the two yutes were found not guilty. The aspect ratio is different between my two sizes, shorter and wider, but just a little.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
So i emailed Pete's Superbike with this question, I quoted the Imperial sizes of 3.15 x 19 and 3.50 x 18 - " by my calculations, would it be a 90/90-19 front and a 100/90-18 rear? Any suggestions on what might fit?"
and they sent me a slightly confusing reply ?? :)

Petes Superbike
9:21 AM (1 hour ago)

to me

Good morning Bruce,

For fitment we unfortunately cannot help. Did you want us to look for a set of 90/90-19 and 100/90-18?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
...... they sent me a slightly confusing reply ??
That sounds like an "I am not going to suggest any tires if there is not a direct listing for your model because I do not want to be responsible for an incorrect fitment argument" answer.
I can't say that I blame him. Nowadays customers seem all to quick to launch in to a tirade on social media and blacken the reputation of the vendor and blame them for mistakes that are really the owners responsibility, so vendors now stick their neck out as little as possible.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Yes I agree Andrew, and I realize he doesn't know I'm not that kind of customer (social media, mostly :box1: IMO, this site excepted)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Yes I agree Andrew, and I realize he doesn't know I'm not that kind of customer (social media, mostly :box1: IMO, this site excepted)
Pete's is a bout a half hour drive from me. If you are really stuck and can't find an answer or what you need, send me all of the information and the questions that you want answered. I'll drive out there and have a chat with him on your behalf. Maybe once your dilemma is fully explained and understood he will be more willing to offer a suggestion.

OP
OP
STFlips

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Thanks Andrew for the offer, they have said they will look for those sizes I think will work, so let's see what they come up with before you make that road trip :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
That sounds like an "I am not going to suggest any tires if there is not a direct listing for your model because I do not want to be responsible for an incorrect fitment argument" answer.
I can't say that I blame him. Nowadays customers seem all to quick to launch in to a tirade on social media and blacken the reputation of the vendor and blame them for mistakes that are really the owners responsibility, so vendors now stick their neck out as little as possible.
Which is what I am finding with every vender I’ve called or emailed so far.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I would think that the width of the rim would be the most important aspect of choosing a tire, as some lists comments such as “will fit” and list comments as best fit etc.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
On my norton i have wm2 rims (these were stock size) and run a 90/90-19 front and 100/90-19 rear although some question the rear tire size the 100/90 is the replacement for the old 410-19 and works ok. The complaint is the Avon AM26 is a universal so it is short on tread depth compared to a dedicated rear tire.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I would think that the width of the rim would be the most important aspect of choosing a tire, as some lists comments such as “will fit” and list comments as best fit etc.
I'd put my money on the diameter being the most important feature, and somewhere you can't cheat at all.

A slightly wider or narrower tire than specified might not be ideal but will work if not excessive. If the tire diameter does not match the rim diameter, it either isn't going on or it isn't going to hold air.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I'd put my money on the diameter being the most important feature, and somewhere you can't cheat at all.

A slightly wider or narrower tire than specified might not be ideal but will work if not excessive. If the tire diameter does not match the rim diameter, it either isn't going on or it isn't going to hold air.
That was my point with rim diameter.
The rim mfgr’s tell you which tire size will work best with what size rim.
Which is why I said rim diameter is more important than tire info.
You can change and try different size tires, but can’t change the width fit if the rim.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Different Rim sites use different wording, my bad.
The distance between where the beads seat is what I was calling rim width.
Several charts list these as choosing the correct tire for the correct fitting rim etc.
Sorry for the confusion.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A

Top Bottom