WA & OR Advice

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
Putting some finishing touches on next summers trip. I had originally planned to do Hyder while I was out west but we have scrapped that and decided 2021 will be a trip to the Arctic Ocean. So that leaves me a big gap in my map after we leave Mt Rainier and head east towards Lowman, ID / Stanley area. I am looking for some advice and tips/suggestions of those that have been there before. I love mountain twisties and scenery. Point #98 was just a placeholder to keep off I84.

Attachments

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
You have a good route thru WA...but getting there on I5 looks boring. Try running up thru Bend OR. Good two lane road and lots of open areas. Your route down thru ID looks good too. The road South of Moscow is a great one.
If you detour thru NE WA there is always the Biker Flop house here at Seven Bays........always welcome for a night. ToddC
IMG_20190521_163217.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
You don't want to miss Hwy20 across northern Washington. Beautiful road, every bit as good as what we rode in Canada. We took it across to Colville, then into Idaho and south at Cataldo towards Stanley. Wonderful roads.

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
Putting some finishing touches on next summers trip. I had originally planned to do Hyder while I was out west but we have scrapped that and decided 2021 will be a trip to the Arctic Ocean. So that leaves me a big gap in my map after we leave Mt Rainier and head east towards Lowman, ID / Stanley area. I am looking for some advice and tips/suggestions of those that have been there before. I love mountain twisties and scenery. Point #98 was just a placeholder to keep off I84.
Couple small bonus loops on your route. Spiral highway in Lewiston and old highway 95 at
Whitebird pass
Spiral highway.PNGOld highway 95.PNG

migresch

"Carpe diem"
Bike
'04 ST-1300A
A detour to "Going to the Sun" Road in Montana's Glacier National Park is worth it if you have the time.

Going to the Sun.jpg

I also enjoyed Hwy 2 across the north of Washington state.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
You should really reconsider your time allotment. I know riders from British Columbia who ride down into that big green open untouched area on your route, simply because it is some of the best motorcycle riding roads on the west coast. And you're skipping it.

Chris

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
It looks like you are taking NF-25 south of Randall, WA. Do not skip the Spirit Lake Viewpoint, which is #2 on my first map. It's a great road off NF25 with an amazing view very close to the east side of Mt St. Helens. It's the 3rd attached pic.

You could also stay on the east side of I-5 until Eugene for a more scenic ride. I-5 from Albany to Eugene is straight, flat and boring. From Eugene south to Redding I-5 is actually a pretty scenic ride.

The last one I added is known as the West Cascades Scenic Byway. You could easily re-connect with I-5 in Weed, CA. It's longer but the most scenic.

Looks like you're using MyRouteApp...PM me if you want the MRA map. There are a couple options depending how strapped you are for time.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
tnman
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
A detour to "Going to the Sun" Road in Montana's Glacier National Park is worth it if you have the time.

Going to the Sun.jpg

I also enjoyed Hwy 2 across the north of Washington state.
We are doing that when we head to Arctic Ocean! It is on the bucket list TRUST ME!!!! We may do it up and back if it works out.

OP
OP
tnman
Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
You should really reconsider your time allotment. I know riders from British Columbia who ride down into that big green open untouched area on your route, simply because it is some of the best motorcycle riding roads on the west coast. And you're skipping it.

Chris
Where are these pics from specifically?

DAS

STOC #
IMHO, nix I5 north of Eugene, instead turn right on 126 toward Redmond (Oregon) then north on US97. The best "long cut" you'll ever take.
242 over McKenzie pass is a little more interesting than US20 over Santiam pass but check to see if it is open before trying it.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Where are these pics from specifically?
The first is the Painted Hills in the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument area. Incredible scenery. Incredible roads. No traffic.

The second is at Mt. Shuksan coming back from Artist Point. The parking lot at Artist Point has two trails that are relatively level. The point is that those trails offer you scenery you can drive to, that normally would take you hours of climbing and about 1500 feet of elevation gain. There's a limited window of time each year to get there though because of snow.

The last picture is on Hwy 20 or the North Cascades National Park. The massive rock formation is Early Winters Spires. On the other side is a short trail leading to a small lake.

We saw this little fella on the trail going in...

Chris

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
Oregon Coast is amazing,, add a stop at the Evergreen Air Museum (Spruce Goose) in Mcminnville OR, then work your way noth through WA, (Mt. ST. Helens, Mt Rainier) to the north cascades hwy 20 (see pics below) as previously mentioned. Then Eastern WA, lots of choices.

Attachments

Top Bottom