Walmart $29 Sirius INV satellite receiver!!

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
I'm reading this thread with great interest. Are these units waterproof? Is this a concern or are they easily detachable?
They are not waterproof, or even "weather-resistant". They are intended for in car use. What do you mean "easily detachable"?

STOC #
I guess I'm confused. If they're not waterproof or water-resistant, and mounted such that they can't be easily disconnected and stowed, isn't there a concern about them being fried in the rain?

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
I understand your confusion Don. Here's the deal. Most electronics, and this included those used on motorcycles are not waterproof. Some are "weather-resistant", but I wouldn't use them in a downpour, or even a light misting for that matter. But we do use them. GPS, sat. radios, mp3/cd players, 2-way radios, radar detectors, etc. The trick is when it starts raining, or you know, or even think it is going to get wet stow them away, or use a water-tight container that will display them.

Now as for "easily detachable" most of these devices, if not all, are attached to the motorcycle in a variety of ways. I use Ram-Mounts, or stow them in my tankbag. Some folks installed them in the rear cowling area, or under their seats, some even install devices in their ST fairing pockets. The possiblities are almost endless. Most can be easily detached and stowed. I hope this helps you understand usage of electronic devices on motorcycles better. And I bet the other guys here can give a better answer.

The Sirius InV sat.-radio is very small, portable and I have mine just laying in my tank bag with the power connected and the antenna hanging out magnet'ed to my gas tank, and a audio cable connected to my helmet speakers . My GPS unit is on a Ram-Mount mounted to my left handlebar. If looks like it is going to rain I remove them and stow them away for a sunny day. I don't like riding in the rain anyway.

Check out this one guy's solution for adding electronic devices to his bike:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22322

Last edited:

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I guess I'm confused. If they're not waterproof or water-resistant, and mounted such that they can't be easily disconnected and stowed, isn't there a concern about them being fried in the rain?
Don, I give you the solution to the sat-radio-in-the-rain problem:
317370.jpg

I keep a few at the ready in the right fairing pocket. My radio is easily stowed, but the cradle has contacts on it that need to be protected, so either way there's a baggie involved.

--Mark

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
I installed a TurboCity Dash mini-shelf this morning and now I'm able to place my Sirius antenna on it! Cool! Getting great reception now instead of on the gas tank.

b.carez

Bill Carez
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Hey guys. I was at Radio Shack looking at these radios versus just getting an MP3 player and the salesguy there was telling me that I would have to buy some sort of portable fm radio to receive the signal from the Sirius unit before I could run it through my Chatterbox unit. Is he full of crap or is that correct?

I haven't seen any of you talk about a radio in your loop.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The InV has a direct audio output on it, as does everything else Sirius makes.

Just remember Radio Shack's slogan, Bill: "You've got questions, we've got blank stares."

--Mark

b.carez

Bill Carez
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks Mark. It wasn't making any sense to me but I had zero knowledge and the guy seemed to know what he was talking about.:confused:

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Hey guys. I was at Radio Shack looking at these radios versus just getting an MP3 player and the salesguy there was telling me that I would have to buy some sort of portable fm radio to receive the signal from the Sirius unit before I could run it through my Chatterbox unit. Is he full of crap or is that correct?

I haven't seen any of you talk about a radio in your loop.
Did you tell him it was for your bike? He was probably thinking it was for the car which in that case you do (usually) need to have a FM radio in the car so the InV can transmit to a empty FM frequency. But the InV does have a direct audio output so all that you would need for the bike is a stereo audio cable connecting the InV to your choice of headset amplifier.

Here's the InV manual in PDF format...

Last edited:

b.carez

Bill Carez
Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Yes I told him it was for use on my bike because I was hoping he could give me some insight into which might work best for me in that situation.

He was trying to steer me towards MP3 players but after he showed me how they worked and their capabilities I know I would be happier with a satellite radio.

I told him about my Chatterbox unit and he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about but still insisted I would need a small portable fm radio preferably with a digital tuner. He had them there for about $25.00.

Maybe he was just trying to make a larger sale. Who knows, I like to think the best of people (gets me in trouble sometimes) so I prefer to just think he didn't know as much as he thought he did.

Finewest

R.I.P. - 2018/09/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST-less
STOC #
Yes I told him it was for use on my bike because I was hoping he could give me some insight into which might work best for me in that situation.

He was trying to steer me towards MP3 players but after he showed me how they worked and their capabilities I know I would be happier with a satellite radio.

I told him about my Chatterbox unit and he seemed to know exactly what I was talking about but still insisted I would need a small portable fm radio preferably with a digital tuner. He had them there for about $25.00.

Maybe he was just trying to make a larger sale. Who knows, I like to think the best of people (gets me in trouble sometimes) so I prefer to just think he didn't know as much as he thought he did.
I have my InV plugged into the audio-in connector on my StarCom1. Simple. No FM reciever needed.

Top Bottom