Current Mileage
NA
Current Location
Asheville, NC
ABS
Yes - ABS Equipped

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
I am looking for an aftermarket seat. Want to try something used before I make the jump. Possible Corbin, Russell, ect.
Thanks

OP
OP
fitzgerb

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
You may already be aware of this but if the used Russell was not built for someone very close to your physical 'dimensions' it can be very uncomfortable.
Good to know, thanks. They are booked out for months, and I would have to send in my seat.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Best thing you can do is go to an STOC event, meet other members and sit on their bikes to try their seats. If you find someone about your size and weight, and they have a custom seat, that will tell you a lot about that particular brand. Bottom line, all bottoms are different. pun intended.

OP
OP
fitzgerb

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
Best thing you can do is go to an STOC event, meet other members and sit on their bikes to try their seats. If you find someone about your size and weight, and they have a custom seat, that will tell you a lot about that particular brand. Bottom line, all bottoms are different. pun intended.
Good idea, thanks

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good to know, thanks. They are booked out for months, and I would have to send in my seat.
Yes, I have a ride in to get another built on June 26th - but I booked it back in January.
Ride-ins are the best way if you can make it out to Shasta Lake, CA.
They only do one ride-in a day and you are the 'focus' of that day to make sure it fits you - before they upholster it.

OP
OP
fitzgerb

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
That would be an awesome way to do it. Are you going to ride there from Nashville? Born and raised in Nashville BTW. Baptist Hospital

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
For a ride-and-buy, Aerostich is likewise a good way to go, for custom fitment... PLUS a ride-in discount.
Ok, back to saddles... sorry.
But if you have the funds, made-for-you would be nice. I had a Bill Mayer custom saddle, a lifetime ago.

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Hello, I’ve bought two used Russell seats, two different bikes. Both have worked out. If your stature is reasonably close I’m sure it will be fine, problem is finding one.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That would be an awesome way to do it. Are you going to ride there from Nashville? Born and raised in Nashville BTW. Baptist Hospital
I live out on the west side of town - which used to be 'out in the country'.
Riding out from Nashville and stopping at a few other places along the way ... ;)
Here's when I visited Russell for a ride-in back in 2016 -

Uncle Phil - California 2016

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have an ST1300 Russel Day Long seat that has hardly been used and looks like new. It was built for someone who is 5’8” tall, weighs 165 lbs, has a 30” inseam and a 36” waist.
Are you anything close to this?
I wasn't thinking of selling it but I don't use it so, maybe.

OP
OP
fitzgerb

fitzgerb

Site Supporter
I have an ST1300 Russel Day Long seat that has hardly been used and looks like new. It was built for someone who is 5’8” tall, weighs 165 lbs, has a 30” inseam and a 36” waist.
Are you anything close to this?
I wasn't thinking of selling it but I don't use it so, maybe.
I'm 6'2 200lb with a 34/34 inseam waist. Probably too far off. I appreciate you reaching out. Uncle Phil has me nervous about it not being built for me, but I still think if I could get close it would be far superior than the stock seat. My last bike it was a constant struggle and I tried all the add on cushions and beads and I would still suffer. I have the opposite of an iron butt. Lawn seats is moving to WV so that might be an option for a custom "ride in" appointment type scenario. I certainly cannot ride to California anytime soon.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm 6'2 200lb with a 34/34 inseam waist. Probably too far off. I appreciate you reaching out. Uncle Phil has me nervous about it not being built for me, but I still think if I could get close it would be far superior than the stock seat. My last bike it was a constant struggle and I tried all the add on cushions and beads and I would still suffer. I have the opposite of an iron butt. Lawn seats is moving to WV so that might be an option for a custom "ride in" appointment type scenario. I certainly cannot ride to California anytime soon.
Weight is a significant issue as some Russells have the 'heavy duty suspension' if you are above a certain weight (like me! ;)).
If you need it and don't have it the seat compresses too much.
If you don't need it and have it the seat can be too hard.
But I don't remember where the 'weight break' is.
You can always try it and if it doesn't work you probably will have no problem reselling it.
If you can wait until September, you could ride over to the BRG (in Hot Springs - a real short hop for you) and sit on one of mine.
And there might be a ST1300 with one also but I don't know for sure.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I'm 6'2 200lb with a 34/34 inseam waist. Probably too far off.
I disagree with this statement.

. . . I still think if I could get close it would be far superior than the stock seat.
I agree with this statement.

I am 6'3" with 34" legs, and I have two very different RDL seats on my two ST1100s, both of which I bought pre-owned. Even the lower one is vastly superior to the shove-you-forward stock seat.

Top Bottom