Warm and Safe heated shirt

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I never liked wearing my Gerbings heated jacket because of the bulk. I had to wear a base layer the heated jacket and a riding jacket on top of it. It was too much.

I was scrolling through the Warm and Safe site and saw their new heated shirt. I had everyone chip in to get it as my Christmas present.

I had the chance to try it out today. I really liked it. The shirt requires no base layer. All I have to wear is the shirt and my riding jacket. There is no bulkiness. It is a pullover with a zipper for the top quarter. It zips up to a nice mock turtleneck. If you don't need that much protection, just don't zip it up that far. It is very comfortable. It has power at the bottom of the sleeves for gloves, though I didn't need heated gloves today. It comes with a Y adapter so I could use my older single Gerbings controller. Since its outlet is SAE, I did have to buy an SAE to coax converter.

I can see wearing this as my go to shirt for early morning starts during shoulder seasons. Plug it in when you need it; unplug it when you don't. Plenty warm enough for winter. I had to adjust it cooler several times, but it had none of the skin burning tendencies of my older Gerbings jacket.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
That sounds like a great "why didn't I think of that" idea.

I do like my Gerbing jacket however because it's lightweight and just right for temps not requiring heat but if the temps drop I can just pull the controller out of a saddlebag and heat it up. Is the shirt thick enough to provide some insulation when it's cool but not cold enough to use electric?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That 7.4V shirt with the belt battery looks to be just the thing to wear in the unheated garage or even in the house (CA KWs aren't getting any cheaper and my COLA isn't keeping up! :D) Now if it could be adapted to use 12V when on the bike that would be great! In the meantime for bike use I have my WnS jacket liner that works very well.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I wore it today on an afternoon ride. Really didn't need much because it was 60, but it performed very well. In lieu of washing it, I'm going to leave it in the freezer for a couple of days.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Since its outlet is SAE, I did have to buy an SAE to coax converter.
That seems an odd choice since the liner uses coax connectors. Do you feel/notice the wiring/panels at all when off the bike and walking around or whatever? I'm wondering if you wore this to work would you want to change out of it at some point.

jspringator said:
In lieu of washing it, I'm going to leave it in the freezer for a couple of days.
?? Are you freezing to death microbes that cause odor? Does freezing impart some surfactant activity? This is the only reason I'd prefer to wear a t-shirt under this- to keep it cleaner longer.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
jspringator said:
Freezing is supposed to kill bacteria. Who knows whether it works. Can't hurt. My controller is SAE.
Some bacteria can actually go dormant during freezing but I'm sure less hardy types die. Like you said can't hurt. I had it backwards on the coax > USB. Thanks for the info.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Mt wife uses vinegar to reduce odor

Vinegar. White vinegar is a powerful odor neutralizer and works wonders on underarm areas of fabrics. Fill your washing machine with water, then add 1/3 cup of white vinegar. Turn off the machine and let the garment soak for 20 minutes, then launder as usual.

OP
OP
jspringator
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I just want to avoid washing it If I can. I might spray a little diluted vinegar in the under arm area right after I take it off. It should dissipate pretty quickly. I won;t use it any more than 4-5 times a season.

Top Bottom