Warm & Safe heated glove problem

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
What I discovered is that the heating wire is so fine it is impossible to resolder the connections
Yes, those are the carbon fiber elements. Carbon fiber heating is what Phenix uses to rewire gloves. I figure if Ken could do it......but who knows. Hang on to those G3s like you know what!! And in a perfect world, Gordons would still be an option....

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Well, interestingly, both gloves were heating properly today, despite having gotten no continuity beep on the left one. Maybe just an intermittent problem, which wouldn't be good, or maybe just my misjudging my chilly fingers last week!
So, good to go for now I guess.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Well, interestingly, both gloves were heating properly today, despite having gotten no continuity beep on the left one. Maybe just an intermittent problem, which wouldn't be good, or maybe just my misjudging my chilly fingers last week!
It's probably a broken wire that just happened to make a connection. When mine failed on that 25F ride, it had been doing that for awhile. Then...nothing.

Those wires will break. You may wish they wouldn't, but that's the way it is. My Subaru tailgate has a similar situation. Lift the hatch, close the hatch. Repeat hundreds of times...and at some point the wires that bend at the hinge point will break. And those are a lot thicker wire.

Chris

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Look closely at where the wires go from the jacket sleeve to the male plug.
And where they leave the glove female plug into the glove lining.
They tend to break right at the backs of the plugs where the wires go in and can cause a short when they completely break.
If you work the plugs back and forth you may see a crack in the insulation.
If that is the case, it is pretty easy to fix - you just cut the plugs off and solder new ones on with a little length of wire.

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Today (35F) that left glove seemed to barely heat. Sounds goofy, but it is actually kind of hard to tell. Definitely different than the other one.
When I got home, I left the bike running, jacket plugged in and warm. Plugged the gloves in the opposite sleeves. Left glove showed little if any heat compared to the right which was plugged into the left sleeve.
I believe that narrows down any problem to only somewhere in the left glove or its connector.
I'm glad winter is winding down shortly.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Today (35F) that left glove seemed to barely heat. Sounds goofy, but it is actually kind of hard to tell. Definitely different than the other one.
When I got home, I left the bike running, jacket plugged in and warm. Plugged the gloves in the opposite sleeves. Left glove showed little if any heat compared to the right which was plugged into the left sleeve.
I believe that narrows down any problem to only somewhere in the left glove or its connector.
I'm glad winter is winding down shortly.
Yep, either broken wires in the glove or the connector has gone south.
Sort of bend the glove connector back and forth gently and see if you see a crack right where the wire goes into the connector.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I wonder if they made things better in the past? I have two pairs of Gerbing T5 gloves. For probably six months of each year, I'm wearing them daily. For some reason...they haven't failed. The jacket liner has failed leading to the glove, but not the gloves themselves.

Chris

OP
OP
DeanR
Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Yep, either broken wires in the glove or the connector has gone south.
Sort of bend the glove connector back and forth gently and see if you see a crack right where the wire goes into the connector.
I had wrapped all connector connections with some F4 self-fusing silicone tape (to prevent this exact possibility ! ), so I'll give it an unwrapping and check for cracks or such.

Would there any way for one glove to suddenly heat at a fraction of the other? I would think that it's either 'on or off'

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Would there any way for one glove to suddenly heat at a fraction of the other? I would think that it's either 'on or off'
If the wires inside the lining of the glove are broken, you will get cold spots past the breaks.
If they are partially broken, you will get a lot less heat as there are few 'conductors' in the wires to heat up.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I wonder if they made things better in the past? I have two pairs of Gerbing T5 gloves. For probably six months of each year, I'm wearing them daily. For some reason...they haven't failed. The jacket liner has failed leading to the glove, but not the gloves themselves.

Chris
You mean the wire to the glove inside the jacket quit? I've opened my liner clear up by removing the stitching in the top of the collar. The entire insides of the jacket were then accessible. The wire to my gloves connector is just like lamp cord and should be easily repaired. It runs from the main connector at the left waist over to the wrist.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
On Gerbing jackets, the 'access panel' is on the lower left inside whipped stitched to the lower 'trim'.
I've replaced glove harnesses and separated the gloves and the jacket circuits in older liners.
As Raymond says, it's just lamp cord and easy to solder (at least in the older jackets).

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
You mean the wire to the glove inside the jacket quit? I've opened my liner clear up by removing the stitching in the top of the collar. The entire insides of the jacket were then accessible. The wire to my gloves connector is just like lamp cord and should be easily repaired. It runs from the main connector at the left waist over to the wrist.
Yes. The jacket side of the cords is what breaks on mine. I must tuck my excess cord differently than everyone else does. The gloves never quit working.

@DeanR - At least on the older Gerbing T5 gloves, the right glove is the one that heats less. From what I understand it is a function of the DC current. The harness for the right glove is longer and loses current over the longer travel. Luckily the new bike has some phenomenal heated grips to supplement the gloves.

Chris

Top Bottom