Jackets Warm undergarment for under leather jacket?

I just lucked into a good deal on a Wilson leather jacket. The liner was missing though. What is a warm undergarment for winter under a leather jacket?

Thanks
Jim

Bike
2010 ST-1300

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I recommend a warm n safe heated liner or heated base layer PM me and I will give yo more info. I am a vendor for warm n safe and we offer a nice discount as well.

OP
OP
Thank you. That looks just like what I need. When you say insulated undershirt, what do you mean, or do you have a name?

Thanks drtyrrel.

Jim

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Gerbing or other heated gear. Once you go electric heat it is hard to go back. It allows you to dial in just as much heat as you want. My unwritten rule is if the temps are 60F or less I put on my Gerbing and plug it in. I might not turn on my controller but it is there if I want it. If warmer than 60F I have never turned it on so I don't wear it. Somewhere around 35-40 I will add a fleece pull over jacket on top of the Gerbing. Rather than trying to push warmth through the fleece, keep it close to the skin and layer insulation outside of it. I will also probably add my Gerbing Gloves at that point as well. With that I am good down to single digits F.

OP
OP
I recommend a warm n safe heated liner or heated base layer PM me and I will give yo more info. I am a vendor for warm n safe and we offer a nice discount as well.

Steve, I and the ST are already all set up with heated gear. If it gets that cold, I'll go with that, but just wanted something to throw on for the quick ride to work. A few years ago I was riding between Santa Fe and Las Cruces at 5 or 10 degres outside and the heated gear kept me toasty. That is when it shines I think, touring in the winter. For the 15 minute ride to work it would have to be cold to put on the gear etc.

Thanks
JIm

TPadden

Tom Padden
Just wondering, I don't think Wilson makes any motorcycle grade leather jackets. Motorcycle styled maybe, but not motorcycle grade, as in low protection when sliding down the road and no padding or armor.
Any leather is better protection than most cordura and all mesh. Ask any cow: eat mor chikin.

Tom

OP
OP
Well, I'm no expert but I would not wear leather gear EXCEPT Wilson or Brooks. This is my third Wilson, and it is thick, heavy, gorgeous leather, the equal of Brooks (the official cop jacket in most departments).

I have a police jacket biker style XL that I have used for years, but has the thinsulate liner, and a cafe style that I have never worn (it will fit after I go on my diet) , the most beautiful leather and zippable thinsulate. I'm putting them both on Ebay.

Yes, Wilson makes super high quality and tough leather jackets. We're not talking your lambskin fashoin leather here. Wilson all the way. Except they only make up to XXL and no TALL sizes any more. On the Wilson page they now sell Milwaukee Leather biker jackets that go to bigger and tall sizes. Probably OK but unknown to me.

Now truth be told, this is primarily for my VTX 1800c. I mainly wear a cortech for riding the ST. But my cortech was stolen. So I got the Wilson for both until I get another cortech.

OP
OP
Just wondering, I don't think Wilson makes any motorcycle grade leather jackets. Motorcycle styled maybe, but not motorcycle grade, as in low protection when sliding down the road and no padding or armor.

Some Wilsons have extra leather on shoulders or elbows, but you are right, they do not have armor.

Jim

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Gerbing or other heated gear. Once you go electric heat it is hard to go back. It allows you to dial in just as much heat as you want. My unwritten rule is if the temps are 60F or less I put on my Gerbing and plug it in. I might not turn on my controller but it is there if I want it. If warmer than 60F I have never turned it on so I don't wear it. Somewhere around 35-40 I will add a fleece pull over jacket on top of the Gerbing. Rather than trying to push warmth through the fleece, keep it close to the skin and layer insulation outside of it. I will also probably add my Gerbing Gloves at that point as well. With that I am good down to single digits F.
+1 on all of that. Once you go electric (at least jacket liner and gloves), you'll wonder why you waited so long. Outside of my TPMS, it's the best farkle I've done, worth every penny.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Couldn't agree more. The best money ever spent. Once you turn on your 'lectrics for the first time, you'll wonder-Why did I wait soo long?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
That's as silly as saying layers won't always keep you warm. Fire will. :tent3::thumb:
Paper maps never fail either, but sometimes GPS's do. I'm still using electrics and GPS. Layers are way too bulky and maps fly away! ;)

Top Bottom