Jackets Warm undergarment for under leather jacket?

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Oh, I like the Heated gear, have 2 sets. Why 2? because one set failed and I bought another before eventually repairing the first.
Not to worry I had some extra layers in the bags on that trip. :rolleyes:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Well, I'm no expert but I would not wear leather gear EXCEPT Wilson or Brooks.

Yes, Wilson makes super high quality and tough leather jackets. We're not talking your lambskin fashoin leather here.
I looked at both websites. Wilson's website has quite a few leather jackets for $169 - reduced from $600 (so they say....come on, we did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday). Brooks' website shows similar (hard to tell w/o spending a lot of time comparing) jackets priced in the $450 and up range. Vests at Brooks go for the $169 range. I would expect a quality leather jacket to sell closer to Brooks' pricing. Are the Wilson brand jackets really that good for such a low price? If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Reactions: T_C

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
No electrics on my bike. I have a Sharkskin Technical watersports top for use when temps dip below about 45. A thin synthetic turtleneck next to the skin, one more layer, the Sharkskin, and my winter textile jacket is what I wear. Sometimes a fleece neck gaiters completes the ensemble.

The Sharkskin is made for diving but features a warm fleecy inside, a wind stopper exterior, and a mock turtleneck collar that keeps wind from funneling down inside my jacket. And it's long enough to tuck in and stay tucked.

Heated glove liners and socks wiul be goid, though.

Bike
1997 ST 1100
For the last two years, I've been using "Uniqlo Heatech" u'ware. It's made in Japan and pretty reasonably priced.
I find that the long sleeve shirts and long johns keep me at just about the right temp, no matter what the outside temp is.
I usually wear them with a shirt that's a cotton/poly blend. and mostly just wear the long johns, with my leather, lined pants.
When it gets really cold, I'll throw a fleece jacket on, and some thin sweat pants.
Their product amazes me, because it's so thin, yet really traps heat and wicks the moisture away.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
No electrics on my bike. I have a Sharkskin Technical watersports top for use when temps dip below about 45. A thin synthetic turtleneck next to the skin, one more layer, the Sharkskin, and my winter textile jacket is what I wear. Sometimes a fleece neck gaiters completes the ensemble.

The Sharkskin is made for diving but features a warm fleecy inside, a wind stopper exterior, and a mock turtleneck collar that keeps wind from funneling down inside my jacket. And it's long enough to tuck in and stay tucked.

Heated glove liners and socks wiul be goid, though.
Do you have a link for the Sharkskin products?

If you want to know what to wear in the cold, ask a Canadian.
The new technical layering systems are neat (and expensive) but nothing beats WOOL.
In the winter here I spend a week in the northern Saskatchewan forest Moose hunting.
It is often - 20 C to -33 C (-4 F to -27 F) when I go so warm clothing is key.
I wear middle weight merino wool long underwear tops and bottoms (merino is not near as itchy).
Over that I wear US military heavy wool pants then a wool blend sweater.
These are my base and middle weight layers. Put your leathers over that and you will be toasty.
If you get too warm tear down a layer but wool is known to be great and not letting you overheat.
If it gets wet, wool maintains 80% of it's insulation properties.
I inadvertantly tested that at - 30 C when I went through some ice crossing too close to a beaver dam.
I had a 1 hour walk back to my vehcile and I didn't get cold but the pants got pretty stiff.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I looked at both websites. Wilson's website has quite a few leather jackets for $169 - reduced from $600 (so they say....come on, we did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday). Are the Wilson brand jackets really that good for such a low price? If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
I figure if they are not telling you they are rated or at least what the type and/or weight of leather is, it's just fashion leather. Maybe it is well built fashion. Then there is the reality you not only need the good leather but also the knowledge of stitching and seams to hold together in a get-off. My leather kit has been tested once, my cordura tested once. The leather showed less damage on the outside, and marginally protected me better inside.

Trapperdog

R.I.P. - 2022/10/14
Rest In Peace
Bike
09 ST1300 PA
If you want to know what to wear in the cold, ask a Canadian.
The new technical layering systems are neat (and expensive) but nothing beats WOOL.
In the winter here I spend a week in the northern Saskatchewan forest Moose hunting.
It is often - 20 C to -33 C (-4 F to -27 F) when I go so warm clothing is key.
I wear middle weight merino wool long underwear tops and bottoms (merino is not near as itchy).
Over that I wear US military heavy wool pants then a wool blend sweater.
These are my base and middle weight layers. Put your leathers over that and you will be toasty.
If you get too warm tear down a layer but wool is known to be great and not letting you overheat.
If it gets wet, wool maintains 80% of it's insulation properties.
I inadvertantly tested that at - 30 C when I went through some ice crossing too close to a beaver dam.
I had a 1 hour walk back to my vehcile and I didn't get cold but the pants got pretty stiff.
Burr, with those low temps up there one would think there might be Canadian military wool pants :)

Top Bottom